When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When tidying up your computer station and you want to clean your MacBookspeakers, you need to be careful about it. Otherwise, you could destroy your device.
To safely clean your MacBook speakers, you can use pressurized air, a vacuum, or rubbing alcohol to get the job done. You can also wipe down knobs and buttons with disinfecting wipes.
Please continue reading to learn more about safely cleaning MacBook speakers so you don’t have to worry about ruining them.
Turn Off Your MacBook While You Clean
Before you do any of the cleaning methods we discuss, you should turn off your MacBook so that you don’t press any buttons by mistake or damage the intricate inner workings of your device.
This will ensure that you can clean your MacBook speakers thoroughly without affecting anything on your computer screen.
It is not uncommon to accidentally press other buttons while cleaning your MacBook speakers because the area is congested.
How to Use Air to Clean MacBook Speakers
The easiest way to get dust in debris out of your MacBook speakers is to take a can of pressurized air and blow out the debris.
This method is especially effective because you can clean between the keys on your keyboard while you dust out your MacBook speakers.
- Use a nearby wall or stack of books to prop your MacBook up so that the keyboard is vertical instead of resting the MacBook flat like you typically would.
- Use your can of pressurized air to blow out dust and debris from the speakers and from in between the keys on your keyboard.
- Allow the dust and debris to fall onto the table, then wipe it up with a damp rag.
This method is great if you feel like you have material stuck in your speakers that you cannot reach. However, this method will not sanitize your MacBook speakers.
How to Gently Vacuum Your MacBook Speakers
If you don’t have a can of pressurized air, you can use a vacuum to remove debris from your MacBook speakers.
The best way to safely clean your MacBook speakers is to use pressurized air or a vacuum cleaner to clean out debris. Do not use soap and water because your speakers cannot handle that.
Here is how to use a vacuum cleaner to clean MacBook speakers.
- Find a vacuum that has a handheld attachment to diffuse the suction before you touch it to your MacBook speakers.
- Turn your vacuum on and use the brush attachment to suck up any gunk from your MacBook speakers.
- Power your vacuum off.
- Power your MacBook on to ensure that the speakers work better than they did before
This method is handy if you don’t have time to run to the store for a can of pressurized air or if you’re MacBook speakers are especially dirty.
The Rubbing Alcohol Method
If you still have dirt on your MacBook speakers after using a vacuum or pressurized air, you can try the rubbing alcohol method.
- Acquire rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab.
- Dip the cotton swab into the rubbing alcohol and use it to wipe the speaker.
- Avoid pressing down while cleaning; be gentle. You want to clean with grates without dripping liquid inside.
- Ensure that you’re using rubbing alcohol instead of hydrogen peroxide when you use this method.
Many frequently mix up the two substances, and hydrogen peroxide can ruin your MacBook speakers. You can use a clean toothbrush instead of a cotton swab to gently scrub the speakers if they’re sticky.
Use Wipes to Sanitize Your Buttons and Knobs
After you clean out your speakers, you can wipe down the volume control buttons using disinfecting wipes.
The most germ-ridden area on your MacBook will be the buttons because those are the things you touch the most frequently.
When you clean your MacBook speakers, the main thing you need to worry about is getting dust and debris out, and you don’t have to worry much about disinfecting.
You can also use disinfecting wipes to clean your mouse pad and remove germs from that area.
What Not to Do
Unfortunately, your MacBook speakers are not waterproof, so you can’t use soap and water on the product.
It would help if you were very gentle when you use a vacuum head or a toothbrush to scrub your MacBook. It would help if you did not scrub hard because that can risk damage to your speakers.
It would be best if you did not spray disinfectant directly on your MacBook speakers because you need to avoid as much liquid damage as possible.
When you clean the speakers on your MacBook, you should use a vacuum or pressurized air to get the job done. This is the safest way to clean your speakers.
Your speakers do not need to be disinfected unless they come in contact with a dangerous substance. Most people don’t touch speakers often, so you don’t have to worry about them.
Never use water to clean your MacBook speakers.