By Trae Jacobs,
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So, you’ve got a brand new Sony Smart TV and it says you can use Chromecast to stream content. This is a wonderful feature that you just can’t wait to get started using, and you are excited to see everything Chromecast has to offer.
So, how exactly do you use it? Don’t worry, we’re here to help you out! We’ve done our research and we’ve got a ton of information ready for you. In this article, we’re going to tell you exactly how to use Chromecast on your Sony TV, plus we’re going to break down how to use Chromecast on any smart TV in your home!
Okay, so let’s start off with the easiest answer to our question. How do you install Chromecast on a Sony TV? Read on to find out!
You can use the Chromecast Built-In feature on your Sony T.V. by installing it with your Android or iPhone. Before beginning, make sure that your phone and your Chromecast Built-In are on the same wifi connection. To install Chromecast, follow the instructions for your device below:
- For Android Devices:
- Install and open the Google Home App
- Select Add
- Select Set Up Device
- Select Add
- Follow the In-App instructions to complete the setup
- For Apple Devices:
- Install and Open the Google Home App
- Turn on Bluetooth when prompted by Google Home
- If you don’t wish to use Bluetooth, select No Thanks
- Select Home Button
- Select Settings
- Select Wifi
- Connect to the matching Wifi network connected to your Chromecast, which usually appears as chromecastXXX.b
- Open Google Home and follow the In-App instructions to complete setup.
If you don’t have a Sony TV with the Chromecast Built-In feature, you can still use Chromecast on your smart TV by casting a Chrome Tab. It is important to note that some plugins like Silverlight and Quicktime will not work, but most web content will. Read on to learn how to cast a Chrome tab using your computer and your phone or tablet!
Casting a Chrome Tab With Your Computer
To cast a Chrome tab from your desktop or laptop, you will need to install the Chromecast App on your Smart TV or use a Chromecast-enabled device or Google TV. Your device also must be connected to the same Wifi Network, and you must have an updated version of Google Chrome.
To cast to your TV from your computer, follow the steps below:
- Open Chrome
- At the Top Right, select the three dots directly to the right of your User Icon
- Select More
- Select Cast
- Select the device you want to watch content on
- When finished using Cast, select Cast, then Stop Casting
Casting a Chrome Tab With Your Cell Phone
While it is possible to use Android phones and tablets to cast a Chrome tab, it is not an option if you have an iPhone. However, you can still Cast from Youtube, which we will explain in the next section of the article.
Casting a Chrome Tab with your phone, you will need the Chromecast App, an enabled device, and a connection to the same wifi network just like when casting from a computer. We’ve provided instructions for Android.
- To cast a Chrome Tab to an Android device:
- Open the Google Home App
- Select the device you wish to cast to
- Select Cast My Screen
- Select Cast Screen
When casting a Chrome tab, the open tab will still be displayed on your phone, so it is important to remember that if you navigate away from Google Chrome, this will mirror the same action on your TV.
Casting Content Directly From Youtube
Even though you cannot use an iPhone to cast a Chrome tab, you can still cast content from Youtube directly. Please keep in mind that this is not an option if you are using an Amazon device such as the Fire Stick or Fire TV.
Follow the steps below to cast from Youtube:
- Make sure your device and the device you are casting to are on the same wifi network
- Open the Youtube app or Youtube.com in your Chrome browser
- Select the Cast Button. On the App, the Cast button is at the top of the Home Screen. In your browser, it is located in the bottom-right corner of the player.
- Select the device you want to cast to, then select Play
- To stop playing, select the Cast button, then select Disconnect
There we go, how to install Chromecast on your Sony TV, plus how to cast a Chrome Tab to your Chromecast-enabled devices! In this article, we’ve not only answered our original question but also provided everything you need to know to stream your Chromecast content with the device and smart TV of your choice. Happy streaming everyone!