When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What’s not to love in the company with brands like Marvel, 20th Century Studios, and Searchlight, and with hits like Avengers, Star Wars, and Lion King? No wonder Walt Disney easily ranks as one of America’s most cherished movie studios. To better satisfy its audience, the company has now moved online with the Disney Plus app available on smartphones, tablets, consoles, and TV.
This means, you also get to install the Disney Plus on your Toshiba TV to enjoy all of Walt Disney’s wonderful offerings. However, this may be a bit knotty if you have never installed an app on your Toshiba TV. But then, worry less, below, you will find various ways to easily install and enjoy the Disney Plus app on your Toshiba TV.
Not missing out on Disney’s premium content means finding a way to install the Disney App on your Toshiba TV. There are several ways to do this, such as:
- Installing directly on your Toshiba Smart TV.
- Installing indirectly via a streaming device
- Installing indirectly through a gaming console
The approach you follow will depend on your operating system, and whether or not it’s a smart TV. For the direct installation, Toshiba TV users can choose either Android TV or Fire TV as their desired operating system.
- Get your TV prepared: Boot up your Toshiba Fire TV and get it connected to a strong WIFI network.
- Search and locate the app: On the homepage, you find a list of sections, represented by large square symbols including ‘Search,’ ‘Library,’ and others. Navigate your remote to click on Search, which is often the first symbol.
- Download the app: Upon entering the Search section leading to the Amazon App Store, the onscreen keyboard will come up to enter your search term, ‘Disney plus.’ Here, the Disney Plus app should pop up.
- Launch the app and login: Click on the ‘Get’ button to download it. Upon downloading, select ‘Open’ and enter your Disney Plus login details to start using the app.
Before releasing the Fire TV models, Android TV used to be the only operating system upon which Toshiba Smart TVs ran.
If you use one of such Toshiba TVs that runs the Android OS, then follow these steps to install Disney Plus:
- Go to the App Store: On the home screen of the Android TV, upon launch, you will find the Apps tab to the left of the page. Click on it. In the applications that get displayed, you should see the Google Play Store logo and select it.
- Locate the Disney Plus App: Inside the app, you can speed up your download process by using the search function at the top-right hand corner of the page, just beside the ‘Settings’ sign.
- Install the App in Your Device: Use the keyboard to enter Disney Plus. Among the app suggestions that pop up. Using the ‘Install’ function, download the app.
- Start Using Your App: Upon installation, clicking the ‘Open’ button will get you into the app. All you need to do is to enter your Disney Plus sign-in details and enjoy everything from Aladdin to Black Panther.
How to Install Disney Plus Using a Streaming Device
If your Toshiba is not a smart TV, it means it is not capable of running either the Fire or Android TV operating systems. This, however, doesn’t mean you get to miss out on Disney’s content lineup. How you get to catch up on this content is by using the streaming stick.
The streaming stick is a small device that enables streaming videos on non-smart TVs when plugged in. Some refer to it simply as the streaming device or streaming box.
While there are streaming sticks to choose from, the best include:
- Roku Streaming
- Amazon Fire TV
- Chromecast With Google TV
- Apple TV 4K
Whichever you go for, the setup process looks quite similar.
There are a few steps involved in getting a streaming device paired correctly with a standard Toshiba TV.
Connect the device (stick/box) to a power source using the power cable. Plug in one end of the HDMI cable to the port on the TV and the other to the streaming box. If it’s a streaming stick (rather than a box), connect the stick directly to the TV’s HDMI port. Then power on the TV.
The streaming stick/box will typically use the operating system of its maker. For instance, the Fire TV Stick uses the Fire TV OS. The Chromecast uses the Android TV OS. And the Roku Streaming Stick uses the Roku OS.
Use the remote to carry out the necessary set-up on screen, following the prompts provided. The process of downloading the Disney Plus app to the streaming device is quite similar across the different operating systems.
For reference, you can check the steps outlined under the Fire TV and Android TV operating systems above.
How to Install Disney Plus Using a Gaming Console
Disney Plus is so popular that gaming console makers don’t want to lose out on the action. Thus, the most popular consoles, Xbox and PlayStation, now feature the Disney Plus app. All you need to do is connect the console to your TV and download the app on the console. Then, you can start enjoying your favorite motion pictures.
For the Xbox, after setting up the console and connecting your TV:
- Go to the Microsoft Store. You’d find it on the Xbox homepage.
- Locate the ‘Search Apps’ icon. Enter ‘Disney plus’ as the search term. Click on the Disney Plus icon.
- Press the green ‘Install’ button on the left corner of the page. This Install button is replaced by the ‘Launch’ icon upon download. Clicking on it opens the Disney Plus app.
- Log in and start watching.
The process is pretty much the same for the PlayStation. However, in the case of the PS, you’d go to the PlayStation Store to download the app.
The Disney Plus is almost a must-have for any TV viewer. If you use a Toshiba TV, there are multiple access channels for accessing the Disney Plus app. We have outlined these in detail above. So, just select the method that applies to you and follow the steps under it.