When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A Fire TV Recast can record local channels for free with no monthly subscription, but the Recast has a limited storage space. So, recordings must be deleted often to make space for new ones. So, how do you delete recordings from the Fire TV Recast?
You can delete Fire TV Recast recordings on a Fire TV or in the Fire TV app. You can delete all the recorded episodes of a show at once by telling Alexa to “delete [show name]” on a Fire TV or Echo Show.
If any of the above methods for deleting videos don’t work, you will want to know how to troubleshoot this problem. You will also want to know when you should delete recordings and how to protect recordings from automatic deletion.
How to Delete Videos from Fire TV Recast
It’s easy to delete recordings on your Fire TV Recast using your Fire TV stick. Here are the steps:
- From the home screen of your Fire TV, select DVR from the top menu.
- Move to the recording you want to delete.
- Press the menu button on your Fire TV remote.
- Select “Delete” or “Delete All.”
You can also delete recordings from the Fire TV app:
- Go to the Recording tab.
- Choose the recording, and select the “Delete” option.
Deleting Videos with Voice Commands
Your Fire TV device is automatically Alexa-enabled. To use voice commands, press and hold the microphone button on the Fire TV device’s remote.
The voice command to delete recordings is, “delete [show name].” This will delete all recorded episodes of that show. Using your wake word, you can also use this command with an Echo Show.
Note: You cannot delete individual episodes of a show using voice commands.
If you have an Echo device that doesn’t have a screen, such as an Echo Dot, you can link it to your Fire TV device.
This allows you to use voice commands without pressing a button on the remote.
It’s really easy to link the devices:
- Select “Settings” in the Alexa app.
- Select “TV & Video.”
- Click on the plus sign next to Fire TV.
- Select “Link Your Alexa Device.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Fire TV Recast Automatic Deletion
Fire TV Recast automatically deletes your oldest recordings when the storage space becomes 95% full. Your Recast will have 500GB or 1TB of total storage space.
You can check the amount of available storage from the Settings menu on your Fire TV device or the app.
When setting up a video recording, you can choose to protect the recording; this means it will never be automatically deleted.
You can also save any video that’s already been recorded using your Fire TV device.
- Scroll to the recording under My Recordings.
- Press the menu button on your Fire TV device’s remote.
- Select “Options.”
- Turn the “Protect” option on.
To avoid losing recordings that you want to keep, you should regularly delete recordings you don’t want.
Some people like to delete a recording after watching it; this keeps the My Recordings page from getting too cluttered.
Unfortunately, you cannot set a Recast to delete a recording after watching automatically; you will have to do it manually.
What If My Fire TV Recast Videos Won’t Delete?
Some users have reported that videos won’t delete when they use the methods described above. Here are some troubleshooting tips if you have this problem:
- Power cycle your Fire TV Recast. To do this, unplug the Recast for at least 10 seconds, and then plug it back in.
- Restart the device from the settings on your Fire TV. Go to Settings > Live TV > Live TV Sources > Fire TV Recast > Restart.
- The last resort option is to reset the Recast to its original factory settings; this will delete all recordings. Navigate to the Fire TV Recast settings on your Fire TV and select “Reset to Factory Defaults.”
How to Factory Reset Fire TV Recast
It’s also possible to reset your Fire TV to factory settings if the need arises. A factory reset will put the Fire TV back to how it can be out of the box. You will lose all saved info if you reset it.
- From your Fire TV, Select Settings
- Go to Live TV
- Select Live Sources & DVR
- Select Fire TV Recasts
- Select Reset to Factory Defaults
Your Fire TV will now revert to its factory settings. It will be as if you had just bought it. All your saved settings will be lost if you factory reset your Fire TV Recast.
This can’t be undone.
Deleting Fire TV Recast Videos to Reset Account
If you are getting rid of your Recast, you will want to remove it from your Amazon account completely.
Before you do that, we recommend performing a factory reset using the steps in the above section. Then:
- After the factory reset, go to Amazon.com.
- Under your account, select “Your Content and Devices.”
- Click on the devices tab.
- Select your Recast, and click on the “Deregister” button.
These steps will leave the device like new and ready to be used by someone else. Need help recording with your Fire TV recast? Check out this article to learn more.
Also, Amazon has discontinued the Fire TV Recast. So, replacing the unit isn’t an option, as Amazon doesn’t sell them anymore.
Deleting show or movie recordings you don’t need will help your Fire TV Recast operate at its best. It will also ensure you don’t lose recordings due to automatic deletion.
The easiest way to delete a recording is with Alexa voice commands. For more options to delete and protect a recording, navigate its setting menu on a Fire TV device or the Fire TV app.