I got a Fire TV Recast for my birthday this year, and I love being able to record local channels for free with no monthly subscription. I use it all the time, but the Recast has a limited storage space, so I have to delete recordings often to make space for new ones. To help other new and potential Fire TV Recast owners, I’m sharing what I know about deleting recordings.
You can delete Fire TV Recast recordings on a Fire TV or in the Fire TV app. Navigate to the Recordings page and select the video that you want to delete. You can delete all the recorded episodes of a show at once by telling Alexa to “delete [show name]” on a Fire TV or Echo Show.
If any of the above methods for deleting videos don’t work, you will want to know how to troubleshoot this problem. You will also want to know when you should delete recordings and how to protect recordings from automatic deletion.
How to Delete Videos from Fire TV Recast
- From the home screen of your Fire TV, select DVR from the top menu.
- Move to the recording you want to delete.
- Press the menu button on your Fire TV remote.
- Select “Delete” or “Delete All.”
You can also delete recordings from the Fire TV app:
- Go to the Recording tab.
- Choose the recording, and select the “Delete” option.
Deleting Videos with Voice Commands
Your Fire TV is automatically Alexa-enabled. To use voice commands, press and hold the microphone button on the Fire TV remote.
The voice command to delete recordings is, “delete [show name].” This will delete all recorded episodes of that show. You can also use this command with an Echo Show using your wake word.
Note: You cannot delete individual episodes of a show using voice commands.
If you have an Echo device that doesn’t have a screen, such as an Echo Dot, you can link it to your Fire TV. This allows you to use voice commands without having to press a button on the remote.
It’s really easy to link the devices:
- Select “Settings” in the Alexa app.
- Select “TV & Video.”
- Click on the plus sign next to Fire TV.
- Select “Link Your Alexa Device.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Fire TV Recast Automatic Deletion
Fire TV Recast automatically deletes your oldest recordings when the storage space becomes 95% full. Your Recast will either have 500GB or 1TB of total storage space. (You can check the amount of available storage from the Settings menu on your Fire TV or the app.)
When setting up a video recording, you can choose to protect the recording; this means it will never be automatically deleted. You can also save any video that’s already been recorded using your Fire TV.
- Scroll to the recording under My Recordings.
- Press the menu button on your Fire TV remote.
- Select “Options.”
- Turn the “Protect” option on.
To avoid losing recordings that you wanted to keep, you should regularly delete recordings you don’t want.
Some people like to delete a recording after watching it; this keeps the My Recordings page from getting too cluttered. However, unfortunately, you cannot set a Recast to delete a recording after watching automatically; you will have to do it manually.
What If My Fire TV Recast Videos Won’t Delete?
Some users have reported that videos won’t delete when they use the methods described above. Here are some troubleshooting tips if you have this problem:
- Power cycle your Fire TV Recast. To do this, unplug the Recast for at least 10 seconds, and then plug it back in.
- Restart the device from the settings on your Fire TV. Go to Settings > Live TV > Live TV Sources > Fire TV Recast > Restart.
- The last resort option is to reset the Recast to its original factory settings; this will delete all recordings. Navigate to the Fire TV Recast settings on your Fire TV and select “Reset to Factory Defaults.”
Deleting Fire TV Recast Videos to Reset Account
If you are getting rid of your Recast, you will want to completely remove it from your Amazon account. Before you do that, we recommend performing a factory reset using the steps in the above section. Then:
- After the factory reset, go to Amazon.com.
- Under your account, select “Your Content and Devices.”
- Click on the devices tab.
- Select your Recast, and click on the “Deregister” button.
These steps will leave the device like new and ready to be used by someone else.
Deleting show or movie recordings you don’t need will help your Fire TV Recast operate at its best. It will also ensure you don’t lose any recordings you wanted to keep due to automatic deletion. The easiest way to delete a recording is with Alexa voice commands. For more options to delete and protect a recording, navigate to its setting menu on a Fire TV or the Fire TV app.
Need help recording with your Fire TV recast? Check out this article to learn more.