By Trae Jacobs,
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Connecting a pair of Bluetooth headphones, like AirPods, can be a very convenient way of listening to the content on your TV. AirPods connecting to your TCL TV can be very helpful in situations where other noises around you are loud, or maybe you want to watch TV without making any noise.
Not all models may support Bluetooth capabilities, but the ones that do can be used with AirPods. TCL has a large range of TV models and has made these TVs for many years. There are some stipulations on how this may work.
TCL TVs with Google TV will have a different way of pairing AirPods than TCLs TVs with the Roku TV operating system. Check the model of your TV, so you know how to proceed later on in the article. This article will show you in detail how to pair your AirPods in these different ways.
How to Pair AirPods with a TCL Google TV
- Click on your Profile Picture on the TCL TV and click Settings.
- Select Remote and Accessories.
- Click on Pair Remote or Accessory.
- Make sure your AirPods are in the case with the lid open.
- Click the button on the back of the AirPods case until the light flashes white.
- Both devices are now in pairing mode. Use the TV remote to click Pair.
Your AirPods are now set up with Bluetooth on your TCL TV. The next time you want to use your AirPods, follow the steps above. Instead of pairing it again, you will see your AirPods appear on the list, ready to connect.
Please note that only one Bluetooth device can be paired at a time on the Bluetooth pairing page of your Google TV. If you wish to disconnect a device, follow the steps above, click on the AirPods, and choose Disconnect.
How to Pair AirPods with a TCL Roku TV
TCL Roku TVs do not have Bluetooth capabilities built into the TV itself. To get your AirPods to work, there are two different ways to get this working for you. The first way is to buy a Bluetooth transmitter that connects the AirPods to the TV. The other way is to download the Roku app on your phone and pair your AirPods that way. Both ways are explained in more detail below.
A Bluetooth transmitter allows you to connect your AirPods to your Roku TV that does not have built-in Bluetooth capabilities. Here are the steps to get this up and running.
- Plug in the transmitter to a wall outlet and plug in the headphone port to the headphone port on the back of the TCL TV.
- Follow the steps on your Bluetooth transmitter to enable pairing mode.
- Put the AirPods in pairing mode by placing the AirPods in the case, have the case open, and press the button on the back until the light flashes white.
- Follow the steps on your Bluetooth transmitter to connect your AirPods.
Now that this device is paired up, you will be able to listen to your TV through your AirPods.
Roku’s app has a feature called Private Listening. This gives you the capability of receiving the audio from your TV by connecting it through the Roku App. Before these steps can be completed, make sure to connect the App to your TV with the steps provided by Roku in the App. Once the app recognizes your TV, here are the steps to get you up and running with AirPods.
- Pair your AirPods to your phone in the phone’s Bluetooth settings.
- Open the Roku App
- Click on Remote
- Click on the headphone icon and choose AirPods as your audio source.
You may need to access the Roku app and reconnect each time you turn on the TV. This listening feature allows one device at a time to be connected to listen to your TV. If you wish to disconnect your AirPods, click on the headphone icon in the remote section of the app and select AirPods.
If you don’t have any of these methods, don’t fret. You can also pair your AirPods through a Fire TV Stick or Fire TV Cube.
AirPods can most certainly work on your TCL TV. As explained in this article, there are various ways that you can get your AirPods to stream audio. Keep in mind that a TCL Google TV will have different software than the TCL Roku TV.
There are different ways of setting them up, like Bluetooth transmitter, Roku App, or pairing in the Google TV settings. Any of the pairing methods above all yield the same result to have the ability to use your AirPods with your TCL TV.