If you own a Roku TV you may be wondering if you can stream a video feed from one of your security cameras or want to record a special event to cast onto your Roku TV. Depending on your setup, it may be possible with the right software.
Roku TVs are able to stream IP cameras that are connected via third-party applications, known as channels on the device. The setup is simple and can be done for free, although paid versions of the application(s) support more functions. You are also able to connect a webcam via a USB port. However, they do not support webcams being plugged into the device themselves.
The third-party apps allow for the convenience of checking your cameras and open up a quick and easy solution for at-home monitoring. Read on to learn more about connecting your webcam to your Roku TV.
An IP camera is an ‘Internet Protocol Camera’ which is a type of digital security camera that receives and sends images and video footage via an IP network. It is commonly used for surveillance and typically does not require a local recording device, only a local network.
You may be wondering what applications you can download on your Roku TV. Depending on the style of Roku TV there are a few options:
- WebCam-One – this app allows you to watch a webcam of your choosing on your television.
- CAMERA – this app is a free Roku app that allows you to view a single IP camera on a Roku-connected TV
- IP Camera Viewer (Basic & Pro) – this app allows you to view live video from most IP cameras on your tv
Not all cameras can be accessed through the Roku. Take into account the setup and possible troubleshooting that could be involved with this option as well.
Roku Application installation is very straightforward. To download one of the third-party apps you can open the Roku search menu and type in the app you would like to download. Once you find the app in the search bar you can click add channel and find it on your Roku home screen.
The convenience of operating an IP camera on your Roku TV is great, but you may be wondering if you can cast your content to your Roku TV via smartphone.
You are able to cast video from your phone to a Roku TV with a few simple steps. The set-up is required the first time you use the cast feature on Roku. However, you will not need to repeat these steps every time you want to cast a video from your device.
To set up your Roku TV to cast a video from your device you need to:
- Verify your mobile device and Roku are accessing the same network. Casting to Roku will only work if both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Ensure the app you want to use is installed on your mobile device and on Roku. The Roku version of the app you want to use (example: Netflix) must be installed on Roku before you can cast to it.
- On your mobile device, open the app you want to use and choose the video you want to cast to your TV.
- Tap the casting Icon from inside the app
- Choose your Roku TV when prompted to select a device
- The appropriate Roku Channel will launch automatically and playback will begin
Being that your Smart TV is essentially a large monitory with high resolution that is connected to the internet, connecting an HDMI webcam only makes sense. You are able to utilize this technology in any room with a smart TV and enjoy comfortable seating for both personal and professional video calls.
You may still be looking to connect a webcam to your television so you can video chat through your smart TV. With a connection to the internet, you are able to use the USB or HDMI port that is found on the back of your TV by following the simple steps below.
- Using a USB cable, connect the webcam and insert the other end into an empty USB or HDMI port on your Smart TV. NOTE: If you use an external web device with USB ports connected to your Smart TV to access the internet, you can connect the USB cable there as well
- Depending on the port that the USB/HDMI cord is in, you will need to select the channel on your Roku TV interface. This will be under HDMI1, HDMI2, or USB Port.
- Once selected, you will be able to view the screen of the plugged-in device on your TV.
Roku TVs have a wide range of functions and channels available for download including IP camera applications as well as a casting from your mobile device option. However, if you are looking to use a video calling application like Skype you may want to use your mobile device or computer.