When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you have smart home devices, you probably know that they need WIFI to operate correctly. When your WIFI connection is too slow or unstable, your devices will not work. Your Amazon Smart Thermostat needs a strong WIFI connection to change the temperature settings in your home. So, you might be wondering what you can do to get it back online.
If the Amazon Smart Thermostat won’t connect to WIFI, you will need to check that your WIFI box is working. You might also need to perform a restart or reset of the thermostat. These solutions fix most issues with the device.
You might be wondering exactly why your thermostat is not connecting to WIFI and what you can do about it. Don’t worry. We will cover tips for how to check your connection and give you steps on how to reset the thermostat.
How to Fix Amazon Smart Thermostat Not Connecting to WIFI
The first step to take when trying to figure out why your thermostat is not connecting to WIFI is to make sure that you are trying to connect it properly. You will connect it to WIFI using the Alexa app.
Try the following steps:
- Select Devices.
- Select Thermostat.
- Select the name of your Amazon thermostat from the list.
- Choose Settings.
- Choose Thermostat Configuration.
- Choose WIFI.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to connect.
If you were trying to connect to WIFI directly from the thermostat or in another way, it would not work. The only way to connect the thermostat to your network is to use the Alexa app.
Check Your WIFI Network
If you tried to connect using the app and you get an error message or a message saying that the WIFI network cannot be found, the problem is probably with your WIFI network itself and not the thermostat.
If you have determined that your network is the problem, start by checking your WIFI box:
- Make sure the box is on.
- Many boxes have lights to show that they are on and connected. If any of these lights are flashing, the connection is probably weak or not stable.
- Check other devices you use with the WIFI to see if they are connected to the network or if they are also experiencing connection problems.
- Make sure the router has cables in good condition and none of them are fraying or damaged.
Now, let’s take a look at how to troubleshoot your WIFI.
Troubleshoot Your WIFI
You can also try the following troubleshooting tips:
- Unplug the router for 30 seconds and plug it back in.
- Press the reset button on your router until it turns off.
- Replace any damaged cables.
- Call your network service company and ask if there is an outage in the area.
- Call your network company’s support and ask them to troubleshoot your router.
Once the router has been fixed, try connecting through the Alexa app again and see if it works.
Restart Your Amazon Smart Thermostat
If your WIFI is working on other devices, but will not connect to the thermostat, you need to restart the thermostat as it will fix the most common problems.
Restarting the thermostat is a good solution to most problems. Always start with a restart as it will not erase any of your settings like a reset does. After restarting your Amazon thermostat, all your settings and configurations will still be there.
- Gently remove the faceplate from the wall.
- Wait a few seconds.
- Reattach the faceplate.
Allow a few minutes for the thermostat to restart. Go back into the Alexa app and try to connect to the WIFI again.
Reset Your Amazon Smart Thermostat
Resetting the thermostat is simple and can be done in just a few seconds.
Here’s how according to the Amazon support website:
- Press the Up Temperature, Down Temperature, and Mode buttons at the same time for 10 seconds.
- Wait until the message rEs appears on the display.
- Press and hold the Mode button for 5 seconds.
The thermostat should turn off and then turn back on once it has reset. Keep in mind that this erases all your data and you will have to set up the thermostat in the Alexa app again.
Contact Amazon Support
If you have tried all of the above solutions and the thermostat will not connect to the WIFI, you need to contact Amazon support. If your thermostat is new and has never been able to connect to WIFI, there might be a more serious problem that needs to be checked by Amazon.
When your Amazon smart thermostat does not connect to WIFI, it can be annoying. You will need to check your WIFI network and make sure the connection is stable. If the problem is with your thermostat itself, try restarting it or resetting it. You can also always call Amazon support.
- More Amazon articles
- More Amazon Smart Thermostat articles
- More Thermostats articles
- More WiFi articles