By Trae Jacobs,
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Your Insignia TV sometimes goes off by itself? Or do you walk in and meet the television on after switching it off before stepping out? This is a complaint made by many users, and there could be many reasons for it.
Your TV could be turning itself off because of power issues, faulty remote, sleep timer, or faulty hardware.
How do you know the exact problem, and how do you fix it? Read on to get the answers you need.
Have you ever left the television for a few minutes and returned to find it off? Or are you watching your favorite show, and the TV turns off during a cliffhanger?
There could be many reasons for this. Some of those reasons are listed and explained below:
- The surge protector is faulty: Is your Insignia TV plugged into a surge protector? Surge protectors are often used to avoid damage that could be caused if the television is directly plugged into the power outlet in cases of high electrical surges. However, faulty surge protectors could lead to the TV turning off erratically because it isn’t getting the power it needs to run. To know if this is the problem with your TV, try connecting it to the power outlet without a surge protector. If it doesn’t turn off when you try this, the power surge is the problem.
- Remote is defective: A faulty remote could also be a reason for this problem. The remote could be sending the wrong signals to the TV, causing the latter to switch off at unfortunate moments. However, it could be something as simple as a battery problem.
- Sleep Timer is on: Many televisions automatically sleep after some time of staying idle. This feature is there as a protection in cases of forgetting to switch it off. However, the sleep timer could malfunction or even mistakenly set to an inconvenient schedule.
- There are loose Cables or wrong wire connections: You can check this by removing all cables and reconnecting them. This could easily be the reason for the problem.
- Third-party devices are connected: Although there is a slim chance of this, your TV Could be turning off because of some connection to a third-party device. Disconnect your TV from all devices to rule this out.
- There are Software Glitches: Like all devices that run on software, your TV could be battling some bugs or software issues. This could lead to the television turning off itself, among other issues.
- The hardware is malfunctioning: This is the worst and most challenging reason for your Insignia Tv turning off by itself. When you check all the possible options and find out they are okay; the hardware is the last resort. It could be any part of the TV that has developed a fault.
Your TV automatically turning off could be a problem. However, you don’t necessarily have to go to an electronics expert to fix it. However, if the fault is a hardware issue, you will have no recourse but to contact customer support or experts that can help you fix it.
Now that you know the possible reasons for your TV turning off by itself, let us look at the most important question. How do you fix it? Since there are so many possible reasons for this problem, we look at each and give solutions.
- Change your power surge: The solution to the first reason is a straightforward thing. If the surge protector is the issue, what you need to do is to change it.
- Change the batteries of your remote and, if need be, the remote itself: The easiest thing to do if the problem is the remote is to change the batteries, as rundown batteries can make a remote send the wrong signals. However, if the problem persists after changing the batteries, you might have to get a new remote. You can easily get it at the nearest electronics store.
- Reset Sleep Timer: Check the sleep timer in settings and reset it when you have ruled out the last two options.
- Check the cables and try fixing them properly: This does not require much explanation. Just try and see if some cables are loose or disconnected and try fixing them.
- Disconnect Third-party devices: If you connect your TV to third-party devices and one of those devices is acting up, it could cause the TV to malfunction. If this is the problem, disconnecting the devices from the TV is the way to go.
- Reset factory settings or Update software: This is the solution to the problem of software glitches. Go to the Update tab in Settings and search for available updates to update the software. Suppose an update is available, download and then apply the update. If the issue still isn’t fixed, perform a factory reset. Go to advanced system settings and select factory reset to reset factory settings.
With the help of the steps in the previous section, you should be able to troubleshoot and fix the problem. However, if the problem persists, it is probably a hardware issue. As you can’t fix a hardware issue by yourself, the solution to this is to contact Insignia customer service for assistance. Try to refrain from employing the service of an electronics expert till you have contacted customer care to avoid warranty issues.