When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Rakuten’s Viki streaming app is the best way to get premium Asian entertainment in your home. It is compatible with many platforms, including Apple TV. But, how exactly can you watch Viki on your Apple TV?
- Launch the Viki app on your iOS device
- Sign up for a new account and subscribe
- Get the Viki app on your Apple TV
- Play your preferred video or use AirPlay
Below, we will discuss more about watching Asian TV shows and movies on Viki using your Apple TV. Keep reading to learn everything you need to know!
For now, only Apple TV HD 4th generation and those running iOS 13 and above are directly compatible with the Viki app. You can use AirPlay to stream Viki from your iPhone or iPad for older and incompatible Apple TV models.
Before beginning this process, you need to ensure the software versions of both your iOS device and Apple TV are up to date. Both devices must also be connected to the same WiFi network. After checking these factors off your list, you can proceed with the following steps.
Launch the Viki App on Your iOS Device
You can only watch ad-free content on Viki through your Apple TV if you have a subscribed account. To do that, you need to sign up for the Viki Pass. Doing so is easiest on your iPhone or iPad.
Visit the Apple App Store and search for “Rakuten Viki.” Find the app in the search results and press “Install.” Launch the app when it finishes downloading.
If you already have a Viki subscription, simply log in to your account on your smartphone. If not, you will need to sign up and subscribe to Viki Pass.
You can choose to subscribe to a monthly or yearly plan, and you will be charged accordingly. Here’s how to get a Viki Pass:
- Click “Create Account.”
- Choose from the various sign-up methods. You can create an account through your Google, Facebook, Apple, or Rakuten account, or sign up with your email address.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to sign up.
- Sign in after going through the verification process.
- Click “Get Viki Pass” at the top right of the screen.
- Choose a subscription package.
Subscribing to a plan eliminates the pop-up ads that interrupt your video streaming. This way, you can watch Viki seamlessly on your device.
If you have a compatible Apple TV, download the Viki app on your device after signing up for Viki Pass. Here’s how to do that:
- Open the App Store on the Apple TV homepage.
- Search for “Viki” and select it when it appears in the search results.
- Press “Get” to download the app.
Once the app is installed on your Apple TV, launch it and sign in with your email and password. Now, you can navigate the app with your remote.
Play Your Preferred Video or Use AirPlay
After signing in on your Apple TV, you can browse and play the exciting shows and movies available on Viki. If you have an older or incompatible Apple TV model, you will need to use AirPlay to stream content to your TV from your iPhone or iPad.
To stream Viki through AirPlay, turn on AirPlay mode on your Apple TV and connect with your iOS device. Follow these steps to do so:
- Go to Settings on your Apple TV.
- Toggle the AirPlay button.
- With your iPhone or iPad, swipe up from the bottom of your screen, or top the right corner on newer models, to bring up the Control Center.
- Long-press the media control panel. The AirPlay button will appear on the top right corner.
- Tap on it.
All your available AirPlay devices will be listed here. Choose your Apple TV to begin screen mirroring. If you don’t find your TV here, check to ensure it is connected to the same WiFi network as your iPhone or iPad.
You can use your iOS device as a remote to navigate the shows you watch and pause, fast forward, or rewind through the on-screen panel.
The Rakuten Viki app is compatible with 4th generation Apple TVs, as well as those running iOS 13 or higher. If you own any of these models, you can download the Viki app directly from the TV’s app store without help from your iPhone or iPad.
For models that are not compatible, AirPlay is the best option. Following the step-by-step instructions highlighted above, you can cast your favorite Asian shows and movies from your iOS device to your Apple TV screen and enjoy premium entertainment with your family.