Samsung TV Plus is an excellent perk available to Samsung TV owners. Over time, the platform has expanded to accommodate web users, as well. If you have an older television, Samsung or otherwise, you may be wondering if you can access Samsung TV Plus.
You may be able to access Samsung TV Plus on an older TV if you have a laptop with an HDMI port. While you will likely not be able to download the app unless you have a Samsung smart TV, there are a couple of workarounds that will let you watch on a different television.
Below, we’ll discuss more on Samsung TV Plus. Then, we’ll highlight a couple of ways you can access this streaming service from any television.
Samsung TV Plus launched in 2016 as a free streaming service, available as a perk to those who own Samsung televisions, tablets, and smartphones. It was first launched as a video rental service, but quickly transformed into a video streaming service.
Samsung TV Plus’s catalog is arranged just like a cable TV guide. You can browse through channels in different categories, including:
- TV shows
In addition to all of these channels, you can also stream on-demand content.
With over 100 channels available in the United States, Samsung TV Plus is one of the most popular downloads from the Galaxy Store. If you have a Google device, you can also download the app from the Google Play Store.
If you do not have a Samsung TV, you can still access Samsung TV Plus online through your computer’s browser. This allows anyone, whether they own a Samsung device or not, to access this streaming platform.
Typically, Samsung TV Plus is only available on Samsung brand smart devices, such as televisions, smartphones, and tablets. However, there are no prerequisites to access Samsung TV Plus on your web browser.
One way to get Samsung TV Plus on your older television is to visit Samsung TV Plus online, then mirror your laptop to your television. To do this, you’ll need an HDMI port on both your laptop and television. As long as you have these two ports, you can follow the steps below to mirror the two devices:
- Use your laptop to navigate to Samsung TV Plus online.
- Connect one end of your HDMI cord to your laptop, and connect the other to your television.
- The mirroring process works differently depending on the type of laptop you have, so check online to find out exactly how to mirror devices using your laptop.
- Once you can see your laptop’s screen on your television, all you have to do is find the show you want to watch and press “Play.”
Of course, this process will only work if both your laptop and your television have an HDMI port. If not, use the following technique instead.
A lot of older televisions do not have an HDMI port. Instead, they have RCA connections. These are the red, white, and yellow connections on the back. Modern technology has made it possible for these RCA connections to support HDMI-connected devices with a converter.
You can purchase one of these converters online for relatively cheap. Once you have yours, follow the steps below:
- Plug one end of your HDMI cord into your laptop, and plug the other into the HDMI port on your converter.
- Then, plug the RCA cables into the RCA ports on the back of your TV.
- Connect the converter to an outlet to ensure it’s powered at all times.
- Finally, follow all the steps you need to in order to mirror your laptop to your TV screen. Visit Samsung TV Plus online, and choose the show you want to watch.
If you have an Apple computer, you may be able to Airplay your laptop screen on your TV. This is ideal if you do not have an HDMI port on your laptop. You will, however, need either an HDMI port or HDMI to RCA converter for your TV.
Many streaming sticks, such as Roku sticks and Apple TVs, support Airplay. Here’s how to use Airplay:
- Plug your streaming device into your TV, then navigate to the Airplay screen.
- Choose your laptop from the list of available devices, and confirm this selection on your computer.
- You should now see your laptop screen on your television. All you’ll have to do from here is open Samsung TV Plus on your browser and choose the show you want to watch.
Samsung TV Plus is a free streaming service available to all those who own Samsung devices. However, the platform has recently expanded to allow anyone to access a variety of free shows from their web browser.
Because of this, there are several ways you can use Samsung TV Plus on an older TV. It might take some extra work, but it’s an excellent alternative to cable and other paid streaming services.