How Do I Get My Sony TV Picture To Fit The Screen? (Picture To Fit Screen Size)
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So, you have a Sony TV, but you can’t get the picture to fit the screen. Don’t worry; you’re definitely not alone! Although Sony TVs are known for their high-quality picture quality and fantastic resolution, it can be extremely frustrating if you can’t make the picture screen size the one you want!
To get your Sony TV picture to fit the screen, you need to select the HOME button, select SETTINGS, then click PICTURE/DISPLAY. Finally, select the option FULL to get the picture to fit the screen size without compromising the picture.
Now, if you want to understand the various screen size options on a Sony TV, as well as why your TV is cutting off the picture or showing black lines around the outside, keep reading! Everything you need to know about fitting a picture to size on a Sony TV is right here.
Why Does My Sony TV Show Black Lines Around the Picture?
The first thing you need to know about your Sony TV is why those pesky black lines are appearing around your entertainment on the screen.
So, the reason why this happens is because the mode in which you are watching your program does not align with the picture aspect mode chosen on your television.
For example, some movies are made with a 21:9 ratio, and your Sony TV is set to 16:9 widescreen.
Luckily, if you see the black lines around a picture on your Sony TV, your TV isn’t broken! The picture display ratio simply needs to be changed.
Why Does My Sony TV Cut Off the Picture?
On the other hand, it can be just as annoying when your Sony TV is cutting off the sides of your entertainment.
When this occurs, it is an identical problem as to when there are black lines on the sides of the screen: the picture settings don’t align with the format of the show or movie.
Once again, your Sony TV is not broken in any way, all you need to do is change the picture settings to fix the problem in a few seconds!
Step-by-Step Guide For Sony TV Picture Fit to Screen
Next, we’re going to find out how to actually change the picture screen size so that you can enjoy watching your favorite television show or movie on the entire screen!
Here’s what you need to do:
- Press the HOME button on your Sony TV remote.
- Select the SETTINGS menu.
- Click on the screen size option that works best for you!
- For most programs, selecting FULL will fit the picture to the screen.
It’s important to note that for some options, such as DVD or Blu Ray players, the program may need a different setting selection in order to show the optimal picture.
But fortunately, we have the various screen size selection options (and what they mean) for Sony TVs right here.
Screen Size Options for Sony TVs
Understanding the various screen size options for Sony TVs is vital if you want to ensure you always get the best picture size and resolution when watching your favorite entertainment.
So, here’s what you need to know:
- Portable Game 1: PlayStation®Portable stretches black-framed gaming picture.
- Portable Game 2: PlayStation®Portable stretches black-gramed gaming picture from a browser.
- Fine-Normal: 4:3 picture ration with black borders.
- Fine-Full: Stretches 4:3 picture to fit 16:9 screen.
- 14:9: Only available on some models, it is a 14:9 picture with black side bars.
- Zoom: Displays 16:9 into 4:3 letterbox format with the correct ratio.
- Full: Picture is enlarged horizontally when the input is 4:3. If input is 16:9, this will show the picture in its original size. (This is the best option for the picture to fit the entire screen size.)
- Normal: Displays all inputs in their original formatting, i.e. 16:9 in 16:9 and 4:3 in 4:3.
- Wide Zoom: Enlarges the picture but preserves the ratio quality.
Now, you can choose which screen size is right for your Sony TV! But remember, opting for Full screen mode will ensure the picture always fits the entire screen.
Hopefully, you now know not only how to get your Sony TV picture to fit the screen, but also why the picture is not fitting properly, and even the many picture options that Sony TVs provide!
But just in case you forgot, here’s how to change the picture display aspect: Click the HOME button on the Sony remote, select SETTINGS, then click PICTURE/DISPLAY, and finally, FULL.
That’s all there is to it! Now, you can enjoy your Sony TV without the picture being cut off or those annoying black borders around your favorite entertainment.