When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ring is the most popular video doorbell system in North America, which means there are many Apple fanatics who are chomping at the bit to add it to their smart home system. However, the Ring camera system has some technical issues when integrating into an Apple Homekit system.
The Ring camera system doesn’t have native compatibility with Apple Homekit software. Homeowners work around this lack of interoperability using third-party applications like HOOBS. This software acts as a bridge to allow homeowners to operate their Ring cameras through the Homekit system.
It might not be easy to get a Ring camera system connected to your Apple Homekit, but it’s still a possibility. Keep reading to learn more about Ring camera compatibility with Apple Homekit and how you can integrate the two.
Like many home automation devices, Ring and Apple Homekit are both able to connect to a third-party software application that can act as a sort of bridge between the two software systems, allowing them to be used simultaneously. The example most commonly used to integrate Ring and Apple Homekit control modules is HOOBS, or Homebridge Out of The Box.
Homebridge is a software application designed to unify all of your smart home ecosystems under one simplified control system. Here are a few advantages of using Homebridge as a software solution for integrating your Ring and Apple Homekit systems:
- Modular versatility: Homebridge contains over 2,000 plugins to offer significant versatility in setting up your unified smart home system.
- Easy to use: Even if you’re not an IT genius, Homebridge has a simple plug-and-play format that makes it a snap for you to hook all of your individual smart home ecosystems into it. You don’t have to be a professional (or hire one) to get this system installed.
- Encrypted security: Unlike open wireless connections, Homebridge is a closed network that isn’t accessible outside of your home system. This makes it much more difficult for potential hackers or burglars to take control of your security systems.
- Streamlined user interface: The user interface for Homebridge is easy to read and understand, allowing you to see a spread of all your smart home ecosystems connected through the Homebridge on one easy dashboard screen.
As of summer 2021, Homebridge is the only reliable bridge software that can be used to sync up Ring cameras with an Apple Homekit. That means if you want to use your Ring cameras with your Apple Homekit, you’re going to have to buy it as an additional accessory for your system.
Buying a Homebridge system to integrate your Ring cameras and your Apple Homekit will cost you a few hundred dollars. Considering the entire Ring system is a few hundred dollars on its own, this means that you’ll be wracking up a considerable cost by investing in a third-party bridge software to connect Ring to Apple.
However, the ability to connect your Ring cameras to your Apple Homekit offers many technical advantages that make it worth the extra money. Here are just a few of the things you’re able to do once you’ve synced your Ring cameras and your Apple Homekit using Homebridge:
- Show all available Ring camera devices in your Apple Homekit app
- Use your Ring cameras as sensors in your Homekit ecosystem
- Enable Homekit doorbell notifications through your Ring cameras, allowing them to function as a doorbell without relying on the Ring Chime or Ring app
It’s important to note that using Homebridge to connect your Ring cameras to your Apple Homekit causes a slightly delayed reaction, so your mobile notifications directly from your Ring app will be more representative of a real-time option if you want to answer the doorbell in real-time.
The Homebridge software can run off your personal computer to connect your Ring camera system and your Apple Homekit, but this isn’t a very good option for many homeowners.
The reason is that to keep the two systems connected, the computer used to run the Homebridge has to remain operational at all times. This just isn’t a feasible choice for most users.
Instead, the best way to avoid issues with connectivity is to purchase Homebridge’s hub device. This allows you to run it independently of any power source or network on your home computer. Setting up your systems to run off Homebridge is also significantly easier when you do it through a hub.
If you were hoping to be able to seamlessly integrate your Ring security cameras into your Apple Homekit system, you’re out of luck. The only way to do this is to purchase the Homebridge as a third-party workaround. Luckily, Homebridge can also be used to help you integrate all of your other smart home ecosystems into one controller too.