Can I Transfer Ownership for a WYZE Camera?
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
WYZE cameras are an affordable and feature-rich option to provide quality surveillance for your home. They offer versatility and options to record, save, and store video clips through the app and available subscriptions. If you want to sell your WYZE camera or transfer ownership to a new person, is this possible, and if so, how is it done?
WYZE does not have a procedure to transfer ownership of a camera. At this time, WYZE camera accounts can only be set up on one device, and ownership can be shared but not transferred. However, certain camera versions can perform a factory reset, removing account info if you wish to sell your device.
Keep reading to find out how you can share ownership of the camera with another trusted party and keep your data a priority.
Reset WYZE Camera to Remove Personal Account Information
If you have the WYZE v1, v2, v3, or Pan camera, you can perform a factory reset to restore the device to its original settings. This will allow you to start fresh with a new connection if you have issues with the camera or sold the camera to another person.
The following will outline the steps you need to take to perform this hard reset for your device:
- Remove any microSD card that you have in the camera before beginning.
- Ensure that the camera is plugged in and hold the setup button on the bottom of the device for ten seconds. If you have a Wyze Cam v1, hold the button for twenty seconds.
- Wait at least thirty seconds for the reset process to begin. In some cases, this process can take up to five minutes.
- The Wyze Cam v3 will show a red LED status light. Other versions will change from a solid yellow to a blinking yellow.
- When the hard reset is finished, you will be able to set up the Wyze cam on your smartphone using the app.
The WYZE Outdoor Camera is an Exception
If you own a WYZE outdoor camera, there are important considerations. While other WYZE cameras can be factory reset, the outdoor camera cannot be at this time. This inability to hard reset is due to security issues.
If your camera is stolen for any reason, you need to be aware that it cannot be reset or disconnected from your account or a base station that you own. It is only possible to power-cycle the device for technical issues, which keeps your account information intact. If you need more information on this issue or would like to submit a question to WYZE, click here.
Share Ownership of your WYZE Camera with Another Trusted User
Choosing to share your camera with another user is easy with the WYZE camera. There is no need to share any of your account details by sharing the ability to interact with the camera.
Next, you will see the steps necessary to enable sharing with another user. Note that this procedure can also give access to other WYZE products that you may have on your account:
- In the WYZE app, open the account tab.
- Select Sharing.
- At the bottom of the page, you will see an option to Share with a new user. Choose this.
- Enter the email address of the person you wish to share a camera with. If they do not have a WYZE account, the invite will prompt them to create one.
- During the setup of the sharing process, you will be able to select which devices the user will have access to, ensuring control and privacy of the devices on your account.
- If you have received an invite, once you have created an account, you will be able to confirm your pending invitation in the app and view the username of the person extending the invite.
- The shared user will only be able to view the camera feed and see event videos. They cannot access or change any device settings or view microSD files.
How to Stop Sharing Your WYZE Camera with a Shared Account User
If your situation changes and you need to remove a user from your account, the procedure is straightforward:
- Tap the device you wish to revoke access to in the Sharing menu in your Account tab.
- After locating the user you wish to delete, choose Cancel to remove their access.
- The user will no longer have access to any devices previously shared with them on your account.
Unfortunately, you cannot transfer ownership of a WYZE camera, but you can at least hard reset the device if you plan on selling it to a new user. However, this will not be possible for the WYZE outdoor camera, which currently does not have a hard reset feature.
If you simply want to have another user you trust to be able to access the device, WYZE cameras are easy to share, but it is important to make sure that you ensure privacy for your devices by following the step necessary to retain control over your camera access properly.