A smart garage door opener like the Chamberlain MyQ makes a great addition to any smart home. Compatibility is the cornerstone of any effective smart home, so we wanted to know if the MyQ smart garage door opener is compatible with Alexa devices.
Chamberlain’s MyQ smart home garage opener does not directly work with Alexa. However, there is a way to connect MyQ with Alexa through IFTTT to close the garage door using a voice command and incorporate the garage door closing into smart home automation routines.
MyQ may charge a $10 annual fee to use IFTTT with their garage door openers. If you don’t want to take on another subscription fee to get your smart garage door to play nice with your voice assistant, we have also included reviews of other garage door openers that are compatible with Alexa.
Is MyQ Compatible with Alexa?
The Chamberlain MyQ garage door opener isn’t compatible with Alexa. Chamberlain has stated that this lack of compatibility is due to security considerations, but many users have speculated that it is more likely due to liability or monetary concerns.
Whatever the reason for this lack of MyQ and Alexa compatibility, it is unlikely that Chamberlain will add it anytime soon.
Fortunately, there are some workarounds that you can use to get your MyQ garage door opener to work with Alexa.
How to Connect MyQ to Alexa
Here’s what you need to connect your MyQ smart garage door opener with Alexa through IFTTT:
- An Alexa-enabled device
- Your Amazon account information
- An IFTTT account
- Your MyQ account information
- A MyQ premium subscription
A MyQ premium subscription costs $10 a year or $1 a month for each third-party partner you connect your garage opener to. As of June 26, 2019, your first premium service subscription is free. MyQ has not yet specified when this limited free offer will end.
To add IFTTT to your MyQ account, follow the steps below:
- Create or log in to your IFTTT account on their website or in the app.
- Go to the MyQ services website and log in to your MyQ account.
- Press “Authenticate.”
- Select “Add Subscription.”
- Choose IFTTT.
- Choose monthly or annual billing.
- Enter your billing information if required, and place the order.
- Open the MyQ app and select “Account Linking.”
- Select IFTTT.
Using MyQ With Alexa
Once you have connected MyQ and IFTTT, you will connect the garage door opener to Alexa through applets. IFTTT applets trigger specific actions between the two devices.
Click here to get the applet that allows you to close the garage door with a voice command. To get the applet, press the connect button and follow the on-screen instructions. You will need to sign in to your Amazon and MyQ accounts to connect the two devices through IFTTT.
Once you have set up the applet, you can close your garage door with the following voice command: “[Your wake word], trigger close garage door.”
This is really convenient if you are already in your home and realize that you forgot to close the garage door. If you have an Echo Auto, you can ask it to close your garage door as you are driving away.
Customizing MyQ and Alexa Compatibility
A MyQ garage door can be closed but not opened with Alexa voice commands. You can set any voice command to close the garage door using Alexa Routines.
Routines also allow you to automate the triggering of other devices turning on or performing certain functions when the garage door closes. Here are some examples:
- Close the garage door every day at a particular time.
- Close the garage door when you leave or arrive at a specific location.
- Turn your smart lights on or off when you close the garage door.
To make a Routine with Alexa and MyQ, follow these steps:
- Open the Alexa app.
- Select “More” in the bottom-right corner.
- Select “Routines.”
- Click on the + sign in the top-right corner.
- Name the Routine.
- Set up the Routine.
Like Alexa Routines, you can make your own IFTTT applets that trigger other actions in your home when your garage door closes. This feature is included in your MyQ premium IFTTT subscription and allows you to connect your garage door opener to other third-party devices and services.
What is MyQ Compatible with?
MyQ works with Google Home Assistant, but it requires a premium subscription of $10 per year. Unlike Alexa, Google Home Assistant can open and close your garage door using voice commands. You can even check the status of the garage door hands-free. These features make MyQ and Google Home a great combination!
A MyQ smart garage door can also be opened and closed with Siri voice commands and Apple Home Kit. But, a MyQ Home Bridge is required to make MyQ work with Siri.
Lastly, MyQ is compatible with Amazon Key. This allows Amazon delivery drivers to open your garage door to put packages inside and prevent theft. The service is free for Amazon Prime members and does not require a MyQ subscription.
The table below shows a comprehensive list of MyQ’s compatibility:
|Third-Party Provider||MyQ Premium subscription required?||MyQ Home Bridge required?||No additional purchase or subscription required.|
|Alpine Connect Navigation System||Yes||No||No|
|Apple HomeKit and Siri||No||Yes||No|
|Eve for Tesla||Yes||No||No|
|Google Home Assistant||Yes||No||No|
|Resideo Total Connect 2.0||No||No||Yes|
Other Smart Garage Openers That Work with Alexa
If you are an avid Alexa user like us, you will likely want a smart garage door opener that is fully compatible with Alexa. We have three suggestions that other customers have loved:
- Genie StealthDrive: The company Genie has been producing garage products for years, they are a very reputable company. With nearly 3,000+ Amazon reviews and features, this is a solid competitor to the MyQ. We love the integrated battery back up feature.
- Refoss Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener: Refoss is a great garage door opener. Its awesome that it allows you to get real time notifications and you can view a history of when your garage has opened or closed. Unfortunately it doesn’t work with HomeKit, but this opener just works and many buyers agree.
- Meross Smart Garage Door Opener: Meross is another excellent option compatible with Alexa, Google Home, Apple products, and SmartThings devices without the need for an additional smart home hub. Maximize your home’s security with garage door alerts and scheduled automatic closing at night. You will never have to worry about accidentally leaving your garage door open again!
Check out this article for more garage door opener recommendations.
Unfortunately, Chamberlain hasn’t allowed Alexa to work directly with the MyQ smart garage door opener. However, for $10 a year, you can use IFTTT to close your garage door with Alexa. For another $10 a year, MyQ is fully compatible with Google Home Assistant. With an additional purchase of the MyQ Home Bridge, it’s also compatible with Siri.
If you prefer to use a smart garage door opener that actually works with Alexa without the extra bells and whistles, we recommend the Nexx Garage 100.