Researching the best thermostat for your home can be a tedious process, but it does not have to be. For example, both the Wyze and Ecobee thermostats have a reputation for quality and value for what they offer. Ecobee offers several thermostat types with a range of features and prices; Wyze’s thermostat offering includes one option, but the features are worth looking at for the price. So which one is better?
Whether users should purchase a Wyze thermostat or Ecobee thermostat depends on the features required and budget. Wyze offers a feature-packed version for a reasonable price, while Ecobee offers four models with varying degrees of included features. However, both are valid options for the home.
Not sure about which thermostat is right for your home and your budget? Keep reading to find out all the great features of these popular thermostats so you can choose the one that is right for you.
Wyze Thermostat vs. Ecobee
If you are looking for a thermostat with various high-quality features to help control your home, the Wyze thermostat is an excellent choice—if the price is a factor. There is a list of enticing options available on this thermostat, making it a perfect choice for your home.
By contrast, the Ecobee thermostats are also feature-rich. However, they do come with a bit of a higher price tag.
Let us compare the two brands and what they can offer with options and prices:
|Works with voice assistants||Compatible with Alexa, no built-in speaker, you must own Alexa device, works with Google Assistant, must have a compatible device||Smart Thermostat with Voice has Alexa built-in, also works with Apple Home Kit, Google Assistant, Samsung Smart Things, and If This Then That|
|Control from app||Adjust settings in the Wyze app||Adjust settings in the Ecobee app|
|Create schedules||Set up schedules with the app||Set up schedules with the app|
|Customization||Change settings as needed for routines outside your schedule||Change settings as required for routines outside your schedule|
|Home Sensors||Purchase a separate sensor to detect and control hot and cold spots. (Available soon)||Smart Thermostats come with a sensor in the box. Ecobee lite is compatible with a separate sensor purchase.|
|Energy Star certified||Working towards qualifying for certification||Energy Star certified|
Product support and warranties for your thermostats can have a profound effect on your buying choices. First, you want to be sure that your device is covered if there is a problem with your product. Also, if you are unhappy with your purchase, find out if you can return your product for a refund.
Next, we will look at the coverage each device provides, along with any special requirements to make sure you are protected.
|Wyze Thermostat||Ecobee Thermostats|
|Length of warranty coverage||One year, purchased from Wyze or an authorized retailer||Three years, purchased from Ecobee, third party issues might need to be coordinated through them|
|Return policy||Thirty days from the date of purchase, provided all accessories and packaging are included, must have been purchased from Wyze directly. Third-party purchase returns handled by the seller.||Thirty days from the date of purchase, the email used to purchase, and the order number is required. The device must have been purchased from Wyze directly. Third-party purchase returns handled by the seller.|
Taking the time to look over the warranty requirements and return policies can help you decide which thermostat is the right fit for your home. Also, purchasing your device directly from Wyze or Ecobee might grant you better coverage and protection if something malfunctions on your thermostat. While both the Wyze and Ecobee thermostats have good reviews, there is always the possibility of a problem down the road after your purchase.
Pros and Cons of the Wyze Thermostat
If you are still unsure of which thermostat you wish to purchase for your home, take a look at the pros and cons of owning a Wyze thermostat below:
- There is only one model of the Wyze thermostat. Any additional sensors must be purchased separately, adding to the cost of your system. However, owning a sensor will provide temperature balance in the home if you have hot or cold spots that need regulating.
- Enjoy easy installation, with an average time of twenty minutes from box to completion with the Wyze thermostat. This video shows how easy it is to get started with your Wyze thermostat.
- Keep your pets comfortable and your plumbing free from the danger of cold by controlling your settings away from home.
- Works with Alexa and Google Assistant, but you will need to purchase a compatible device to utilize this feature.
- Not sure what is the best heating and cooling schedule for your home? The Wyze thermostat uses learning algorithms to create cost-effective energy schedules for your home.
- The Wyze app provides insights and suggestions on the best way to save money while keeping your home comfortable.
- When lacking a C wire, you will need to complete an installation that utilizes an adaptor for this purpose.
Pros and Cons of the Ecobee Thermostat
Next, we will look at the Ecobee thermostat choices and their pros and cons:
- Ecobee has Energy Star-certified devices that meet strict guidelines that let you know you are getting the best value for your home and comfort level.
- Except for the Ecobee Lite, the SmartThermostat with voice control or whole home sensors come with a sensor in the box, allowing you to create a temperature balance in your home. This handy sensor helps you avoid hot and cold spots, giving you total home comfort.
- The SmartThermostat with voice control comes with Alexa built-in, giving you included management to make changes with the sound of your voice, in addition to the app. Other models are compatible with various voice control devices, including Apple Home Kit, Google Assistant, Samsung Smart Things, and If This Then That.
- The SmartThermostat with Whole Home Sensors comes with door and window sensors in the box. This option provides an added level of security for your home, integration comfort, and safety in one convenient device.
- If you lack a C wire, you will need to complete a more involved installation. However, there is an adaptor included for this situation.
Choosing Between the Wyze and Ecobee Thermostats
Owners are enthusiastic about the price point of the Wyze thermostat, considering its list of features. Comparatively, Ecobee thermostat owners are also satisfied with their product, with some comments about the higher cost factor in their decision-making. However, purchasing a thermostat with no added device capability, such as home sensors or an Alexa device to connect to, can still provide you with solid comfort management for a fantastic price.
If you are in the market for a new thermostat for your home, the Wyze and Ecobee thermostats have a great set of features and products to help control your home throughout every season. Whether you want to control your home from your smart device, an app on your phone, or by using the touchscreen, both thermostats have you covered.