Why Your Sony TV Remote Doesn’t Work (4 Fixes)
Our TVs aid us in many ways. Whether it’s after a long day of work or a day where you just want to be a couch-potato, our TVs will provide us with endless entertainment. However, it can be extremely upsetting when the remote stops working. So you may be wondering, why is your Sony TV’s remote not working?
Some reasons why your Sony TV remote may not work include:
- The batteries are dead.
- The remote works, but the TV is lagging.
- The remote’s or the TV’s censors are obstructed.
If your Sony television remote is refusing to cooperate, there are a couple of options you have. Continue reading for a list of instructions on how to get your Sony TV remote working again.
Reasons Why Your Sony TV Remote Isn’t Working
Besides the reasons we previously mentioned, some more uncommon factors might be in play when your Sony TV remote isn’t working.
These are some additional reasons why your Sony TV remote isn’t working:
- Fluorescent lights may interfere with the remote control’s functionality; try turning off all fluorescent lights.
- The batteries in your remote may not match the orientation of the battery compartment’s positive (+) and negative (-) symbols.
- If you are using a different remote to control your TV, it may not be paired correctly or may not be compatible. The Bluetooth remote control that comes with the device is associated with the TV specifically, depending on the model.
Now, let’s move on to some ways you can fix your Sony TV remote.
4 Ways to Fix Your Sony TV Remote
Now that you have learned some reasons why your Sony TV remote may not be working, you may want to learn how to fix these issues. Read on to find out.
Reset Your Sony TV Remote
If your Sony TV remote is not working due to poor battery contact or static electricity, the remote control may need to be reset to resolve the problem.
Follow these steps to reset your Sony TV remote:
- Remove the batteries from the remote control
- Press and hold the remote control’s power button for three seconds
- Replace the remote control’s batteries
If this solution does not solve your remote’s issue, keep reading to find the next fix.
Set Your Sony TV Remote to the Correct HDMI Source
If you play games often on your Sony TV and therefore hook up your gaming console or laptop to your TV often, it’s possible that, when switching back to your regular TV function, you selected the wrong source or mode on your TV or remote.
To set your Sony TV remote to the correct HDMI source, do the following:
- Press the Input button.
- Try selecting HDMI1
- If that source doesn’t work, try HDMI 2
- Repeat this process with choosing HDMI 3, and then Blu Ray from the menu.
In the end, all of these sources rely on the configuration of your television. If your TV remote is connected to the wrong source, you won’t be able to use it.
Check That Your Sony TV Remote’s Voice Function Is On
If you’re trying to use your remote’s voice function and it isn’t working, there may be an issue with the speech-recognition system.
If your Sony TV remote’s voice function isn’t working, follow these steps:
- Check the MIC button’s light to check whether it’s turned on.
- If the MIC button is not on, you will need to restore the functionality of your remote’s voice command.
- Press the HOME button on your remote control.
- Select Settings.
- Go to Remote & Accessories.
- Select Remote Control.
- Press the MIC Button.
- Reconnect the remote control based on what model of remote you have.
- Select Voice Remote Control.
Now all you have to do is press the MIC button whenever you would like to activate your Sony TV remote’s voice function, and it should follow your voice commands.
Troubleshoot Your Sony TV
If none of these fixes worked for you, it is possible that the problem is with your Sony TV rather than your remote.
Here are some ways to troubleshoot your Sony TV:
- Check that your television is turned on. To turn on the television, press the Power button on the unit or on your remote.
- Check the status light on your Sony TV to see whether the controls are operational. If the LED becomes red when you press the buttons, you’ll need to restart your TV by pressing and holding down the Power button on the TV for two minutes, then turn it back on again. Your remote should then function.
- The software on your television needs to be updated. Smart TVs must be updated on a frequent basis in order to function correctly. Remote control difficulties may arise if the TV is not updated. Check your TV for software upgrades.
- You may need to purchase a new Sony TV. Out-of-date software has been known to have an influence on the remote response.
Now that you have learned all of these fixes, see below to find out when a new remote is needed.
When Is It Time to Replace Your Sony TV Remote?
If your Sony TV remote has been damaged, this may render your remote unusable.
You may need to replace your Sony TV remote if:
- You have continuously dropped your remote on a hard floor like wood or tile
- You have sat on your remote and it damaged the casing
- Your remote has been immersed in water
In all of these events, the circuit board of your remote most likely was affected and this is what caused it to stop working and the only way to fix this is to get a new remote. Before doing so, look up the model number of your television to make sure you get one that is compatible.
A Sony TV remote control might last for decades. Other times, they may stop working. The diagnostics and fixes listed in this article may show you why your Sony TV remote has stopped working, and how to solve the issue. However, a new Sony TV remote may be necessary if none of the above options work.