Why Is My Amazon Smart Thermostat Not Heating?
Amazon Smart Thermostats allow you to fully control your home’s cooling and heating systems through the Alexa app and by using voice commands. You can even control your home’s thermostat settings remotely. But what if you are experiencing issues with the thermostat not heating?
If your Amazon smart thermostat is not heating, there is probably an issue with the wiring. You will need to remove the faceplate and recheck that all the wires are connected. Heating issues can also be resolved by resetting the thermostat.
You might be wondering exactly how to fix the wiring issues. Don’t worry. We will go over the instructions in this article. We will also discuss how to reset the thermostat along with a few other troubleshooting tips.
Why Is My Amazon Thermostat Not Heating Up?
If your thermostat is new and the heating has never worked, there may be a factory error in the wiring. If your thermostat is older, the heating might stop working if the wires have come loose or if they have become old and damaged.
How to Fix Amazon Thermostat Wiring
To check your wiring, you will need to remove the faceplate from the thermostat and make sure all terminals have the correct wires.
If you want to reinstall your thermostat or check that it was installed correctly, here are installation tips and instructions to help you through the process:
- Make sure you have switched off the power to the HVAC system from your main breaker box. If the power has been switched off correctly, there will be no display on the faceplate.
- Remove the faceplate from your old thermostat.
- Take a picture of the current wiring to help you remember it. Make sure the photo includes the terminal labels and a clear image of which wires are going into which terminal.
- Remove one wire at a time. Use the stickers that came in your Amazon thermostat package to label all the wires as you are removing them and make sure the labeled wires are not falling back into the wall, as they could get lost or damaged.
- Take this time to make sure there is a wire for the C terminal. This is usually an unused wire that is not connected to anything. You can also label it with a sticker.
- Once you have the C wire labeled, connect it to the C terminal on both the thermostat and the control panel.
- Remove the wall plate from the old thermostat.
- Install the Amazon thermostat wall plate and make sure to pull all the labeled wires through for easy access to them.
- Connect each of the labeled wires to their original terminals. You can use the photo you took earlier or the Alexa app as it has pictures of the wiring.
- Gently tug on each wire to make sure it is fully connected.
- Switch the R terminal switch into the Up position.
- Close the wire cover so they are no longer exposed.
- Align the faceplate over the wall plate.
- Press them gently until you hear a click.
You can now go back to your main breaker box and turn the power back on.
If all the wiring looks correct, there might be another issue with your thermostat. Most issues can be resolved with a reset.
Factory Resetting Your Amazon Smart Thermostat
Not all heating issues are caused by wiring problems, although most are. If you have checked the wiring and it looks good, move on to resetting the thermostat. Keep in mind this will cause all your settings to be deleted and you will need to redo them in the Alexa app.
Here’s how to do it:
- Press the Up temperature button, Down temperature button, and Mode buttons at the same time for 10 seconds.
- Once “rES” has appeared on the screen, you can let go of the buttons.
- Press and hold the Mode button for 5 seconds and allow the device to restart.
You can now check the heating and see if it’s working.
Other Troubleshooting Tips
Checking the wiring and resetting the device almost always fixes the heating issues.
If it does not, there are a few other things you can try:
- Make sure the HVAC is set up correctly in your Alexa app.
- Ensure the power in your home is on and connected to the thermostat.
- Contact Amazon Support.
- Contact your local HVAC company and ask for advice.
Hopefully, your heating will now be fixed if you’ve gone through all these steps.
Sometimes the heating system on your thermostat might stop working. The first thing you should do is check the wiring and make sure everything is installed correctly. You can also factory reset the device or call Amazon support if you are still experiencing issues.