Why is ADT So Expensive? is ADT Worth It?
By Trae Jacobs,
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you ask a group of 100 people about home security companies in the US, chances are they’ll mention the name ADT or America District Telegraph. ADT, which has been in the business of providing homes with quality security and monitoring services for years, is a household name. But for most individuals, the ADT security cost is quite expensive compared to other, newer security companies.
ADT packages provide users with home automation and monitoring services, starting at $36.99 per month. However, users may have to pay $99-$199 for installation and additional charges if they seek extra security features.
While ADT is a household name and offers excellent security services, it is expensive and lacks versatility. In this article, you’ll learn more about the cost of ADT packages, available features, and the pros and cons of purchasing an ADT security system for your home.
How Much is ADT?
With ADT security offering several monitoring packages, you should know exactly what you are getting into. The table below provides a detailed comparison of the various ADT packages, security costs, and features that come with each package:
|ADT Packages||Essentials||Essential Plus||Total Protection||Total Protection Plus||Premium Protection with ADT Pulse|
|ADT Monthly Cost||$36.99/month||$42.99/month||$42.99/month||$42.99/month||$52.99/month|
|Equipment Cost||Included||Included||Included||Included||Depends on equipment needs|
|Remote Arm/Disarm||No||No||No||No||Additional charges|
|Garage Door Control||No||No||No||No||Additional charges|
|Thermostat Control||No||No||No||No||Additional charges|
|Lighting Control||No||No||No||No||Additional charges|
|Indoor Camera||No||No||No||No||Additional charges|
When compared to plans from other top home security companies like SimpliSafe Home Security and Vivint, ADT packages are quite expensive. However, the price you are billed is based on the kind of equipment and monitoring you opt for.
Interested in signing up with ADT?
What’s Covered with the ADT Cost?
ADT offers several packages that feature different home monitoring equipment. ADT allows users to purchase their equipment upfront or $99-$199 per month, depending on your chosen monitoring plan. If you are opting for an ADT home security system, then you must learn more about the features that come with a typical ADT package.
In general, most ADT basic monitoring packages come with the following standard equipment:
- Keychain remote
- Motion detector
- High-decibel alarm system
- Backup battery
- Glass break sensors
- Three windows/door sensors
- A digital keypad
- Window decals
- Yard signs
- Smoke and Carbon dioxide detectors
You also have the opportunity to add extra features like environmental monitoring, doorbell cam, indoor and outdoor security cameras, and other special security tools for an additional cost.
Pros and Cons of ADT Security
While ADT home security systems offer excellent security services coupled with state of the art home security tools, there are still some downsides to owning one. One of the significant downsides to opting for an ADT security system is its high cost when compared to similar home security offerings.
Below are some of the top pros and cons associated with the ADT home security system:
Pros of ADT Security
- ADT is a well-established company with lots of branches and service centers. With over 140 years in the business, ADT is the oldest and most popular in the world of home security and monitoring.
- Opting for ADT Pulse allows you to arm and disarm your home security system, control your thermostat and light from anywhere.
- ADT offers users a six-month money-back guarantee if unsolvable issues occur. This protects your investment and reduces risk on your side.
- ADT offers you professional installation.
- A user-friendly app allows you to connect to your home security systems easily, remotely. You can monitor your front door activities, control your home lighting, and other smart devices via the app.
- There is easy integration with smart home automation devices like Google Home, Alexa, and Amazon Echo.
- It is 100% wireless and does not require cutting into walls.
Cons of ADT Security
- ADT has expensive monthly payments when compared to some other home security providers.
- They have low customer support ratings. There have been complaints from users about ADT’s poor customer support service and their late response to critical technical issues.
- Their packages consist of long-term commitments instead of a flexible monthly contract that companies like Vivint offers. ADT requires new users to sign up for a long binding 36-month contract on all its packages.
- They have expensive cancellation rates.
Is ADT Worth It?
If you are a fan of businesses with a long history, then ADT is an excellent choice since it has been in the home security game for almost 140 years. However, if you are on a limited budget, ADT may not be your best bet due to its high monthly cost. ADT is ideal for homeowners but not renters due to the need for long-term commitments.
Aside from the high monthly cost, ADT is one of the best in the home security and monitoring sphere with various security features and tools. However, before opting for an ADT security system, you should evaluate your home security needs and budget and look at all of your home security options, like Vivint, to determine the best option for you.
For those who are ready to sign up, or those with more questions, head over to our ADT help center. Our ADT partners are ready to help get you signed up.