The Ring Spotlight Cam is a great way to keep your property illuminated. It can also be programmed to come on and off when it detects a motion. If you notice your Ring Spotlight flashing on and off, you might be wondering if there is a problem or if it’s not working correctly.
The top reasons for the Ring Spotlight flashing on and off are that the batteries are low, a small animal or object is triggering the device, or the motion sensitivity controls are too high.
Below, we’ll cover what these issues mean for your device and how to fix them. We will also discuss how to make sure you don’t encounter these same problems again.
Troubleshooting a Ring Spotlight Cam Flashing On and Off
As mentioned above, your Ring Spotlight Cam may be flashing due to a low battery, a small animal or object triggering the light, or sensitive motion controls. The following are some troubleshooting tips you can try to resolve the issue in either situation:
Recharge the Ring Spotlight Cam’s Battery
The Ring Spotlight Cam has a rechargeable battery that will need to be removed and charged. If the battery levels are too low, you might notice that the Ring Spotlight is flashing on and off.
To charge the battery, follow these steps:
- Open the better compartment by pressing the white button and lifting it open.
- Press the release tab to remove the battery.
- Connect a micro-USB charger to the charging port.
- Wait until the battery shines solid green. If it is flashing red and blue, it is not done being charged.
- Slide the fully charged battery back into the Ring Spotlight. You should hear it click in place.
- Close the battery compartment door. Press until you hear a click.
- It will take a few minutes to start back up.
Before taking the battery out and recharging it, you can also check the battery level through the Ring app.
- Open the Ring app and tap Ring Spotlight Cam under Devices.
- Check the battery level at the top of the upper right corner.
- If it’s below 10%, you might be seeing the flashing because of a low level.
If the battery is close to being fully charged, the Ring Spotlight Cam is probably flashing for another reason.
Check the Area for Small Animals
Any type of motion can trigger the lights on the Ring Spotlight Cam. You might think there is nothing around the light to trigger it, but it’s still worth searching the area for small animals.
You might also want to check the area for plants or other items that could be moving and triggering the camera.
Here are some things to check for:
- Rabbits, hedgehogs, cats, and other small animals
- An animal that could be coming out at night and triggering the cameras
- A large plant or something that could move in the wind
If you notice your Ring Spotlight Cam only flashes at a certain time of day, try to see if something is happening during that time that could trigger the device.
Check Your Motion Controls
The motion sensitivity controls in the Ring app allow you to adjust the sensitivity needed for the size of your yard or property. For a full guide on the sensitivity controls, check this comprehensive guide.
Follow these rules and tips to make the best use out of your motion controls:
- Don’t Use the Zones in High Traffic Areas – Putting the motion zones in areas with high traffic can cause the motion detection feature to go into overdrive and result in a flashing spotlight. Don’t put the motion zones where people are constantly walking. You also shouldn’t point them towards the streets.
- Use the Motion Settings in the Ring App – You can easily change the motion settings in the app by finding the Motion Sensitivity toggle in the Settings tab. You can also drag the blue area around to change the zones. It might take some trial and error, but you should be able to find the right zones after a few tries.
- Change the Motion Frequency – The Frequency tab in the Ring app under your device’s settings allows you to set how often you want the motion detection feature to go off. Setting this to “Frequently” will result in the device picking up all types of movement and flashing as a result, which will also drain the battery. Try switching it to one of the other options and see if it makes a difference.
Experiencing the flashing on and off with a Ring Spotlight Cam can be annoying and frustrating, but luckily, there are easy fixes. Check the battery level and recharge it if it’s low. You can also search the area for unknown movements and change the motion sensitivity controls in the Ring app.