Finding the best security camera requires research so you can find the options that fit your lifestyle and budget. Whether you want a high FPS rate and HD quality capture, cloud or local storage, or long battery life for your device, Blink offers various smart camera solutions. Of course, with every new generation of security cameras comes upgrades and updates that improve upon the last model, and this seems to be the case with the Blink XT2 and the new Blink Outdoor Camera. But what’s the difference?
The difference between the Blink XT2 and Blink Outdoor Camera primarily lies in their features. The Blink Outdoor Camera offers privacy zones, local storage, and unlimited cloud storage with a subscription—all features that are not available with the XT2.
It is essential to do your research to determine whether it’s worth upgrading to the new Blink Outdoor Camera; keep reading as we compare the two models to help you make the right decision for your needs.
Blink XT2 vs. Blink Outdoor Camera
You already know that you are looking for a high-quality security camera that gives you flexible options for controlling the view outside your property, but which model between the Blink XT2 and Blink Outdoor Camera will give you the flexibility and features you’re looking for?
The following chart compares the features available on both models:
|Blink XT2||Blink Outdoor Camera|
|1080p HD capture quality||Yes||Yes|
|Privacy Zones||Not available||Yes|
|Motion-only Notifications||Not available||Yes|
|Local Storage||Not available||Up to 64GB using the Blink Sync Module 2|
|LED Indicators||Optional blue LED during recording mode||Optional blue LED during recording mode, and red LED for night vision recording mode|
|Cloud Storage||Free||$3/month for one camera or $10/month for an unlimited number of cameras|
Blink XT2 vs. Blink Outdoor Camera: User Reviews
The Blink XT2 user reviews are consistently in the 4.5 out of 5-star range, showing a high level of customer satisfaction with the device. If you already have these cameras as a part of your home security system, it is an excellent choice to keep them online due to their quality profile. Reading through some of the reviews can help you decide if this model is the right choice for you.
Reviews of the Blink Outdoor Camera have a similar customer service satisfaction of 4.4 out of 5-stars. Again, it is always a good idea to take some time and read the reviews to see what other people think of the device. As with all reviews, it is a good idea to read through several, as there are points of view from many owners that can give you insight into this latest, upgraded model of Blink Outdoor Camera.
Blink XT2 vs. Blink Outdoor Camera: Customer Support
If there are issues with your device, it is essential to know if your camera is covered. Thankfully, Blink offers customer support for all its camera models. You can visit the Blink customer support page here, and choose the best option for the issue you are having, no matter which Blink camera you own. If the customer support available by phone is not what you are looking for, you can click here to submit a troubleshooting request for the Blink camera that you own. Be sure to include whether you have a Blink XT2 or a Blink Outdoor Camera to get the proper assistance for the Blink product you own.
Pros and Cons of the Blink XT2 Camera
After looking at the comparison chart and some of the key differentiators between the Blink XT2 and Blink Outdoor Camera, it’s time to look at their pros and cons, starting with the XT2:
- Right out of the box, the Blink XT2 camera is a quality choice. However, Blink will not include this version in the newest upgrades, making this camera one that will eventually be left behind.
- Most security cameras in the industry now charge for cloud storage. The ability to store your videos for free is a highly desirable option on the Blink XT2. With that in mind, the inability to store any local footage can be quite a con for someone who wishes to keep their videos out of the cloud and private.
- Many retailers are no longer carrying the Blink XT2 as the Blink Outdoor Camera becomes the preferred model. If the features of this model are what you are looking for, now is the time to pick one up before they are no longer available.
- If you wish to extend the already long battery life, you will need to purchase the battery expansion pack, which will set you back thirty dollars for each camera you wish to upgrade.
- By not including privacy mode and local storage on the Blink XT2, it appears that Blink is actively encouraging people to upgrade to the latest generation camera with the latest features included.
Pros and Cons of the Blink Outdoor Camera
With Blink phasing out the appealing Blink XT2 model, the Blink Outdoor Camera is worth looking at for its upgraded features and capabilities:
- With both cameras requiring you to unmount it from its location to change the batteries, the doubled battery life with the Blink Outdoor Camera is incredibly appealing.
- Unlike the Blink XT2, this latest generation camera offers privacy mode, giving you the option to exclude areas, such as your neighbor’s front door or a window that you wish to obscure. This tailored selection zone is an enticing upgrade for the serious home-security consumer.
- You will need to purchase the Sync Module 2 to store your video captures locally, but this option is only available on this model. Keeping your videos out of the cloud is an option that many savvy owners are looking for.
- As the latest generation of Blink Outdoor Camera, this model will be updated regularly, allowing you to take advantage of the best upcoming features for your home security.
- You can speak directly to your visitors using the Blink app, allowing you to monitor every interaction as they occur in real-time.
Choosing Between the Blink XT2 and Blink Outdoor Camera
Knowing that the Blink XT2 is not available for purchase any longer makes the Blink Outdoor Camera the clear choice for your home security. While the Blink XT2 model is still available as a refurbished option and in limited supply on a small number of retail sites, the Blink Outdoor Camera is the way to go if you are looking to purchase a new system.
If you have the Blink XT2 cameras already hooked up and are looking to add more cameras to your security profile, there is no need to worry about compatibility. Both these cameras work well together, and they can be combined to enhance your existing home security profile. In addition, there are multiple accessories available for the Blink XT2 that allow you to continue to keep them indefinitely.
Whether you choose the Blink XT2 or the Blink Outdoor Camera, you can be sure that you are investing in a quality choice for your home. Both cameras offer a wide variety of options that are sure to enhance your security profile.