What Are The Best Samsung TV Google Assistant Commands
Voice commands offer a hands-free way to control your technology throughout the home. Samsung has Google Voice Assistant built into certain TV models starting in 2020 and has an array of voice commands to control your TV.
Google Voice Assistant will allow you to pause your TV, rewind the movie you’re watching, and even turn on and off your TV. In addition, you can ask it to turn on captions, fast forward, and open apps.
These are all handy and quick features to take advantage of, especially when you can’t find the TV remote or you want to be completely hands-free. We will be focusing on how to enable these voice commands as well as some more of the best commands Google Voice Assistant has to offer.
Setting up Google Voice Assistant
Before we get started, you want to make sure that your TV does have Google Voice Assistant. The easiest way to find out is to see if your Samsung TV has the appropriate menu setting. Here is a 2021 Samsung Smart TV that will work with his article.
- Click on the Settings gear on the bottom left of the TV screen.
- Click on General.
- If your TV is compatible it will have a section that says Voice.
Now that you have found your compatible TV model, follow the steps below to get up and running with Google Voice Assistant.
- Follow the steps above to get to the Voice menu.
- Choose Google Voice Assistant from the drop-down menu options.
- You may have to agree to terms and conditions that follow to proceed.
- For 2020 models only:
- Open the Google Assistant App on your Android phone or download it from the App Store if you have an iPhone.
- Your phone will discover your TV after opening the App, click the TV that you want to enable.
- There will be a code that appears on both screens, confirm it if they are matching.
- For 2021 models only:
- There will be a QR code or a website on the TV that will take you to the appropriate website.
- On your phone follow the steps to link your Google account to your TV.
Now that your Google Voice Assistant is all set up you can now start using voice commands. Follow along in the next section for some more tips on how to get the most out of the voice commands feature.
The Best Google Assistant Commands
Here is the list of Google Assistant commands that can make watching TV easier and hands-free.
- Say Hey/Ok Google: Turn on the TV
- Say Hey/Ok Google: Turn off the TV
- Say Hey/Ok Google: Turn up the volume
- Say Hey/Ok Google: Turn down the volume
- Say Hey/Ok Google: Turn off/on my smart lights
- Say Hey/Ok Google: Mute the TV
- Say Hey/Ok Google: Unmute the TV
- Say Hey/Ok Google: Turn Captions on/off
- Say Hey/Ok Google: Fast forward
- Say Hey/Ok Google: Rewind
- Say Hey/Ok Google: Change the Channel
- Say Hey/Ok Google: Open Netflix application
- Say Hey/Ok Google: What time is it in Australia right now?
- Say Hey/Ok Google: How old is Oprah?
There are many more things that you can say to your Google Voice Assistant on Samsung TV other than the typical TV controls. Try asking what the weather is like or how long does it take to get somewhere. Google Voice Assistant uses data found in Google to gather the information you are searching for and give you an answer.
Using a Google Home to Control Your Samsung TV
Samsung TVs started incorporating Google Voice Assistant technology in their TVs in 2020. If your model TV does not have this built-in you can still use your Google Home as a Voice Assistant for your TV. Follow the steps below to get this up and running in your home.
- Open the Google Home App on your iPhone or Android device
- Ensure that your Google Home is already connected and is recognized on the main page.
- Click the + button in the top left corner and add a “Works with Google” device
- Type in SmartThings in the search bar
- Login to your SmartThings or Samsung account and grant access for Google to use your TV.
- The main page of the Google Home App will now display the Samsung TV. With both TV and Google Home connected you can now say commands to Google and it will control your TV’s settings.
Hands-free technology like Google Voice Assistant on your Samsung TV makes it easy to control your technology without the need for clicking through with a remote. Samsung TVs since 2020 have the technology built-in so that you can get set up quickly and enjoy using these commands with your TV. You can ask what the weather is, turn up the volume, pause my TV show, mute the TV, and many more commands just by saying “Hey Google”.