There are a multitude of smart plugs available on the market that work seamlessly with Amazon Alexa allowing you to control your lights, fans, appliances, and other electronics via voice control or directly through the Alexa app on your smart device.
Amazon Alexa allows various integrations from dimmers, switches to smart plugs. Let’s focus on the numerous smart plugs available for smart home integration. Some of the best smart plugs available right now are:
What are some Smart Plugs that work with Alexa?
- Amazon Smart Plug
- Kasa Smart WiFi Plug by TP-Link – Smart Plug
- TP-Link HS110 Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring
- Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug w/ Energy Monitoring by TP-Link
- Wemo Mini Smart Plug, WiFi Enabled
- Geeni Switch + Charge Smart Wi-Fi Plug with 2 USB Port
- iHome ISP6X Wi-FI Smart Plug
- D-Link Smart Plug, Wi-Fi, On/Off
Smart plugs are plugged directly into your wall outlet. Your lamp, electronic device, or appliance of your choice is then plugged into it so that you can control it via Amazon Alexa voice or from your Alexa application if you are away from home or in a different room. Many users select a smart plug based on the capabilities of the plug, ease of set up, the ability to monitor energy, and its reliability. My favorite is the TP-Link HS110 Smart Plug.
Some of the main differences between smart plugs are the features available:
- Application integrations with the Amazon Alexa Application
- Ability to track and monitor energy usage
- Away Mode Option
- Creation of Schedules and Routines
- Device Integration (lights, lamps, fans, electronics, appliance)
You will want to determine what the top two or three features you want on your smart plug as you start researching for smart plugs. All of the before-mentioned features are available, but depending on how much you want to spend you may not be able to get all of the features you want. Below are a few of the top smart plug contenders based on features and price point.
Smart Plug Capabilities
Most smart plugs are comparable in that they can connect to Amazon Alexa; however, some plugs just simply outdo the rest. A wi-fi capable smart plug can be connected to many things:
- Coffee Makers,
- Battery Chargers, and
The highlight of a reliable, smart device are the options made available such as turning on when you are away and the ability to monitor your usage. This lets you know what your energy levels look like on a daily basis.
Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring, Scheduling, Away Mode, and Voice Control
The TP-Link HS110 Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring is one of the best smart plugs on the market right now because of the features and price point. The TP-Link HS110 has four main capabilities that keep it as one of the top contenders in the smart plug industry.
- Energy Monitoring: The ability to monitor the energy spent on your appliances and electronics makes being able to save money when needed easier than ever before.
- Scheduling: Auto scheduling your lights makes keeping you and your family safe even easier. Every day your lights can be turned on and off based on your settings.
- Away Mode: My favorite capability because as you leave the house the smart plugs know and automatically turn the lights on and off at different times throughout the day in an attempt to make it look like someone is home.
- Voice Control: You will always have control of your lights, fans, appliances, or other electronics using your voice with the help of this smart plug.
These for capabilities are why the TP-Link HS110 Smart Plug is one of the top smart plugs in the industry today.
Greeni Switch + Charge Smart Wi-Fi Plug with Scheduling Capabilities When Away
The Greeni Switch + Charge Smart Wi-I Plug is my second choice for price point and capabilities. The Greeni Switch also has four main capabilities that makes it one of the best smart plugs in the industry.
- USB Ports: Has two USB ports on it allowing you to charge your smartphone or other smart devices in the same plug allowing you to save space on your wall.
- Energy Monitoring: This device also tracks your energy usage so that you can monitor your electricity.
- Scheduling: Although the Greeni does not have an Away Mode you can set up a schedule so that it will turn your selected devices on and off at a schedule you deem appropriate, which will function just the same as Away Mode on other smart plugs.
- Access Sharing: You may share access with your family so that everyone in the home can control all devices.
The Greeni Switch + Charge Smart Wi-Fi Plug definitely meets all expectations and should be at the top of your list for consideration.
Smart Plug with One App
The Amazon Smart Plug’s biggest compliment is its one application set up and follow through. Seamless integration with one single application to add all of your smart plugs, making this smart plug the easiest to work and the top choice for users new to smart home adaptability.
However, the Amazon Smart Plug also has several other capabilities that other smart plugs have such as:
- Voice control
- Device grouping
- Scheduling, and
- Routine set up.
For beginners to smart plugs, those new to smart devices in general, or those that just want a simplistic device the Amazon Smart Plug is for you. It is easy to use, easy to set up, and you only need one application to do it.
How do I install a smart plug and connect it to Amazon Alexa?
- The first thing you will need to do is install
the application related to the smart plug you purchased.
- For example, if you purchased a TP-Link smart plug you will need to download the Kasa application or if you purchased a D-Link smart plug you will need to download the mylink Home application.
- You will need to follow the onscreen setup instructions for the smart plug you purchased on those applications.
- After that, download the Amazon Alexa application and install the Amazon Echo product.
- Finally, enable the Home Skill for the smart plug you purchase (Kasa – TP Link, mydlink, D-Link, or Amazon Smart Plug).
How do you know if an appliance will work with a smart plug?
The first thing you need to understand is the difference between a mechanical switch and an electronic switch.
- Mechanical Switch: is a set of two contacts that uses an actuator to moves current (low current) to a second set of contacts causing a light, for example, to turn on or off.
- Electronic Switch: is a button that has springs inside that make contact with the current causing the on and off mechanism.
A smart device essentially turns your appliance off from a constant on state. It needs to be able to make contact just like the switch. This means if your appliance cannot be turned off in one of the mechanism’s indicted above your smart plug will not work.
Can I connect Amazon Alexa to my Surround Sound?
Yes! All Amazon Echo devices have a Bluetooth option allowing you to connect via your wireless connection if your home entertainment system has Bluetooth capability. Your section option is to use the minijack on the back of the Amazon Echo device itself. You have the option to connect directly to your home entertainment receiver utilizing a 3.5mm auxiliary input.