Buying a Sengled Smart Bulb for the first time can be very exciting, and when you get it home, it may be a little confusing to get it installed and up and running correctly.
This guide will serve as a resource to help you find the directions to some of the most common issues that individuals face after purchasing a Sengled Smart Bulb the first time.
In this guide, you will find a step by step guide to help you figure out how to install your bulb, pair it with you Alexa enabled device, and explain what a Hub is and how to use it. Additionally, we have provided some of the most common troubleshooting issues as well as some additional features and useful tips.
Sengled Smart Bulb Guide
- Choosing Your Sengled Smart Bulb
- First Time Installation
- Moving A Sengled Smart Bulb to Another Location
- Resetting A Sengled Smart Bulb
- Additional Features
Choosing your First Sengled Smart Bulb
There are a few different options when it comes to purchasing a Sengled Smart Bulb. How you plan to use your smart bulb will determine which Sengled Smart Bulb is right for you. Here are a few of the options available.
- Smart Starter Kit + Echo Dot: Users just getting started with smart home technology will find this kit a fantastic way to jump into smart bulbs.
This kit includes:
- 2 Sengled White LED Smart Light Bulbs
With this kit, you can fully integrate lighting for two devices as well as install a Hub for your Smart Bulbs and be able to expand your smart bulb collection at any time.
The Echo Dot will provide voice activation options for your lighting, as well as all the other Echo Dot benefits, such as streaming music, news, weather, etc.
- Smart Multicolor Starter Kit + Echo Dot: This is a just like the above-mentioned kit, with one major difference.
This kit includes:
- 2 Sengled Multicolor
Smart Bulbs instead of the white
- a Sengled Hub
- Echo Dot (3rd Generation)
The multicolor bulbs have the added ability to set the lighting to well over 16 million different colors using either voice activation with the Echo Dot (or another Alexa device), or the Sengled smartphone app available on both Android and iOS.
- Sengled Smart LED Soft White Starter Kit: This Sengled started kit is for the user that already has an Alexa enabled device, or chooses not to connect their smart lighting to them.
This kit includes:
- 4 – 60W equivalent soft white LED smart bulbs
- a Sengled Hub.
This is a great option for a beginner in smart lighting technology or makes a fantastic gift.
Note: All Sengled Smart Bulbs required a Hub to connect to and work properly. Connection to an Alexa enabled device is only for using voice control with a paired bulb and Hub.
First Time Installation
When you get your Sengled Smart Bulb home, you want to make sure that the bulb is not cracked or appears to have dark or discoloration on the inside of the bulb dome. These may be signs that the bulb was damaged during shipping and caution should be taken before installing the device.
Sengled Element App
When you are ready to install your smart bulb and Hub for the first time, begin by downloading the Sengled Element App, available for both Android and iOS.
This is a free app provided by the manufacturer. You will be prompted to set up a Sengled account through the app, including confirming your email address.
After you have logged in, press the “Add Device” button, you will then select the devices that you are adding. You have the options of adding the Hub and bulbs separately or together. You will need the bulb, Hub, an Ethernet cable, and power adapter for the Hub.
Connecting the Sengled Element Hub
The Sengled Element Hub is the director of all your Sengled Smart devices. Whether you are using Sengled Smart Bulbs or Plugs, one Sengled Element Hub can accommodate approximately 64 Sengled Smart devices.
- Begin by plugging the power adapter into the Hub and into an outlet. There should be a blue light on the Hub, this signals that you have power.
- Next, you will plug the Ethernet cable into the Hubs. Make sure that your smartphone with the Element App is connected to the same Wi-Fi signal as the Hub, you will need a minimum of 2.4 GHz signal for the Hub to work properly.
- After 1-2 minutes you should be prompted to “Connect Your Hub”, press “Next”. The app will now search for the Hub. Depending on the speed of your Wi-Fi signal, this may take a few minutes. Do NOT unplug the Hub.
- Finish Setup – When the Hub is discovered, you will be able to choose whether you want to use the Hub wired by Ethernet, or wirelessly. The manufacturer suggests keeping the Hub connected to your router via Ethernet cable for optimum performance.
This prevents the Hub from having wireless connections issues. Click “Next” to continue with the wired setup.
Once the Hub is successfully connected, you will receive a “Congratulations!” You can choose to rename your Hub at this time, but it is not necessary. The next step is to set up a light bulb.
Adding a Smart Bulb
When you are ready to add a Sengled Smart Bulb:
- Make sure the power is off to the lamp or light fixture that you want to use.
- Screw the bulb into the light socket
- Turn on the power
- Open your Sengled Element Home App, go to Devices and you will see a “+”. Click the “+”.
The app will now walk you step by step on how to install your bulb. Once the bulb is installed, you can turn the bulb off or on using the Sengled Home app or chose to pair with an Alexa device for voice control.
Do NOT turn a smart bulb off using a light or lamp switch. For the smart bulb to be controlled wirelessly, the power must remain on to the bulb.
If you want the bulb to remain off for an extended period, then it is fine to shut off the power to the bulb. However, there may be a small delay when the power is restored as the bulb and hub reconnect. If you have any issues, please see Troubleshooting.
Pair with an Alexa Device
Pairing your Sengled Element Hub and Smart Bulbs with an Alexa enabled device gives you full voice control over the devices.
For example, within the Alexa app, you can assign several smart bulbs and plugs to a group and control the devices individually or as a group. Here is how we pair the Sengled Element Hub and Smart Bulbs to an Alexa enabled device.
- Open your Alexa app and search skills for Sengled Home.
- You will see an app named Sengled Home, look for a red background with the Sengled Home logo (looks like a white infinity symbol,” ∞ “), install the skill.
- Once you enable the skill, you should be redirected and prompted to enter your Sengled account information. This is the same account information that you used to setup you Sengled Element Hub in the Sengled Home app.
- Once the skill is successfully enabled and you are signed into the Sengled Home app, navigate to the Smart Home section of the Alexa app located in the lower right corner.
- Click the “+” in the upper right corner
- Select “Add Device.”
- Choose the “Light” option
- Select “Sengled”
- Since you have already set up the Sengled Home app, on the next screen click “Discover Devices.”
- After approximately 20 seconds the Alexa app will display the number of devices discovered, click “Done.”
At this point, you can choose to add the smart bulb to a group. You can use an existing group or create a group. Additional you may consider changing the name of a bulb.
The default will be “bulb” followed by a number, depending on when you paired the bulb.
Moving a Sengled Smart Bulb to Another Location
There may come a time that you would like to relocate a Sengled Smart Bulb to another location. If the bulb is connected to the same Wi-Fi, no special actions need to be taken, just unscrew the bulb from the original location and screw it into the new fixture.
You may want to edit any name or group that you had associated with the bulb in order to keep track of where your smart bulbs are.
However, if you are moving to another home, or have decided to give your smart bulb to someone else, you will need to perform a reset on the smart bulb and go through the installation process at the new location.
Note: if you are moving your existing router to a new location, you may not have to go through the process of installation.
Resetting a Sengled Smart Bulb
Occasionally it may become necessary to reset a Sengled Smart Bulb.
- Go to the power source for the bulb; this could be a light switch or a lamp switch.
- Turn the power source on and off rapidly TEN times.
This should automatically reset the Sengled Smart Bulb. Once reset, the bulb will flash five times.
You may have to attempt to reset the bulb a few times for it to work. Make sure you are turning the power on and off very quickly.
It may be easiest to move the bulb to a lamp or light fixture that is operated by a light switch to quickly turn it on and off. After the bulb is successfully reset then you can return it to the original fixture.
Sengled Bulb Not Responding:
If the power to a bulb has been disrupted due to power failure or the switch being turned off, it may cause the bulb to not respond.
- Turn the power to the bulb off
- Wait 15-30 seconds and turn it back on, the bulb should come on.
- Using the Sengled Home app, attempt to turn the bulb off.
If the bulb did not turn back on you may need to perform a reset on the bulb. If the bulb comes on when power is restored than check in the app to make sure that the bulb is properly installed.
It may still be necessary to reset the bulb to factory settings and add the bulb as a new device.
Sengled Bulb Will Not Pair:
There are a couple of reasons that a Sengled Bulb may fail to pair. First, the Wi-Fi signal is not strong enough to support the bulb’s pairing. Remember that a Sengled Smart Bulb requires a minimum of 2.4 GHz to work properly.
If your wireless signal is weak or unstable this will cause the bulb to cycle in and out of pairing and it will be hard to fix.
- One way to avoid the issue of unstable Wi-Fi is to pair the smart bulb with the Sengled Home app using a Wi-Fi hotspot from a smartphone. This works in especially rural areas with less reliable Wi-Fi signals, or when several devices are already using the Wi-Fi signal.
- Another possible solution is to reset your Wi-Fi router. Over time, a router gets bogged down with from all the devices connecting through it to the internet. By resetting the router, it will sometimes run more efficiently, allowing you to pair your smart bulb.
Sengled Bulb Will Not Reset:
Unfortunately, if you have tried multiple times to reset your Sengled Smart Bulb with no luck, the bulb may be damaged.
This can occur after a power surge, or from repeated turning the power on and off to a bulb. If you purchased your Sengled Smart Bulb from Amazon within the refund and exchange window, contact Amazon for a replacement bulb.
Otherwise, you may contact Sengled USA, Inc. directly for assistance.
QR Code Will Not Scan During Pairing:
When you are adding your Sengled Smart Bulb to your Sengled Home app, you will be prompted to scan the QR Code for the bulb. The QR Code is located on the side of the bulb and sometimes on the side of the box, the bulb was in.
However, the QR Code on the side of the bulb will not easily register for scanning because it is a curved surface. If this is the case, you may have to manually enter the bulb information that can be found above the QR Code
Using either the Sengled Home app or Alexa voice controls all Sengled Smart Lights can be dimmed. The Sengled Home app has a brightness slider that can be used to control either an individual bulb or a group of bulbs at the same time.
An Alexa device can use common voice commands to dim the smart bulbs.
- “Alexa, dim the bedroom light to 5%.”
- “Alexa, set the living room light to 50%.”
- “Alexa, change the sink light to 100%.”
Additionally, using Alexa to adjust the settings will automatically change the brightness within the Sengled Home app.
Sengled Smart Bulbs are dimmable on their own and should not be used in dimming light fixtures, or 3-way fixtures.
If you must use them in one of these types of fixtures, be sure to set the fixture to the most “on” or highest brightness and only using the app or voice controls to dim the bulb.
Sengled Multicolor Smart Bulbs can be set to over 16 million colors and are fully dimmable like the white bulbs. Additionally, you can adjust bulbs independently or as a group for unlimited lighting options.
One of the most convenient options available with the Sengled Smart Bulbs is to use the Sengled Home app to set specialized schedules for your bulbs.
For example, if you want the light over your kitchen sink to automatically turn on at 5:30 am so you are not walking into a dark room to make your morning coffee, all you need to do is set the schedule in the app.
Additionally, you can fully customize the schedule by both time and day, to turn a bulb on or off, and even adjust to a specific color on the multicolor bulbs.
Controlling Lights When Away from Home
Home security is in the palm of your hands when you are away from home with the Sengled Smart. Forgot to turn off the lights when you headed to work. Simply use the Sengled Home App to turn your light off.
Alternatively, if you are away from home after dark and want it to appear that someone is home, use the app to turn the lights on, or schedule them to come on at a certain time.
Tip: Schedule different lights to turn on and off at different times throughout the evening to make it appear as though someone is home and moving throughout the house when you are away.