I was in the market for a wireless video doorbell that I could easily move from place to place, and I found the Ring Peephole Camera to be a good option, so I learned everything I could about this doorbell camera and its battery life.
Ring Peephole Camera Battery Life: The Ring Peephole Camera has an average battery life of 20 to 40 days depending on how much it is used. Ring automatically sends notifications through the Ring app and email when the battery is low. Users can also check the battery life at any time in the Ring app.
The Ring Peephole Camera is an ideal option for home and apartment renters. If you own a Peephole Cam or are considering one, check out the information below on how to charge the battery and unique features of this doorbell camera.
Ring Peephole Cam Rechargeable Battery
Ring Peephole Cam uses a rechargeable battery located in the indoor portion of the camera. It needs to be charged once a month on average. The amount of time between charges depends on how much the camera is used.
Make sure to charge the battery before it dies completely, or you may have to redo the set-up process for your camera.
Charging the Peephole Camera Battery
Removing and charging the battery every month may sound tedious, but the quick-release battery pack makes it easy to remove, charge, and replace the battery. Just follow these steps:
- Remove the battery cover on the indoor portion of the camera.
- Press the silver quick-release tab on the battery pack and slide the battery out.
- Charge the battery pack using the provided micro-USB cable.
- The battery is fully charged when only the green light on the battery pack is on.
- Remove the cable and slide the battery back into the bottom of the camera.
- Reattach the battery cover.
You can purchase an additional Ring battery pack using this link to continue camera use while the original battery is charging.
Battery Draining Quickly
If you’re needing to recharge your Peephole Cam battery more often than every 20 days, you may need to adjust your camera’s motion alert settings. Follow these steps:
- Select the Peephole Cam in the Ring app.
- Select Motion Settings.
- Select Smart Alert.
- Select “Light” to receive the fewest alerts and conserve battery power. This will increase the amount of time between charges.
A weak Wi-Fi signal can also drain your camera’s battery quickly because the camera is using power every time it loses connection to your Wi-Fi network and has to reconnect. There are numerous potential causes for a weak signal such as physical obstructions or a slow internet speed. Check out this article for a complete guide to troubleshooting a weak Wi-Fi signal.
More About Ring Peephole Camera
Peephole Cam has similar specs to Ring’s other video doorbells. Its features include:
- 1080p HD resolution
- Live View
- Two-way audio
- Night vision
- Alexa compatibility
Because Peephole Cam is a completely wireless smart doorbell, the installation is quick and requires no drilling, unlike other Ring doorbells. All you need to install and use a Ring Peephole Cam is an existing peephole on the door and a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network.
Peephole Cam also has two unique features not currently available on any other Ring doorbells and cameras: knock detection and privacy zones.
In addition to a doorbell, Peephole Cam also has knock detection which senses vibration anywhere on your door and alerts you through the Ring app that someone has knocked.
Enable knock detection using these steps:
- In the Ring app, click on your Peephole Cam.
- Click on Device Settings.
- Click on Knock Detection Settings.
- Toggle knock detection on.
- Adjust the sensitivity slider based on the material your door is made of. If you have a door on the heavier side that is made of metal or wood, increase the knock sensitivity. If you have a lighter door made of fiberglass or steel, decrease the sensitivity.
- Test the knock sensitivity by walking away from your door for at least 30 seconds, returning, and knocking on the door normally. Check for an alert on your phone, and adjust the knock sensitivity as needed.
Privacy zones allow you to exclude a section of your Peephole Cam’s view from its stream and recorded videos. This is useful if, for example, your camera has a view of your neighborhood’s window. You can create a privacy zone over this area to protect your neighbors’ privacy. You will still receive motion alerts for the area but will only see a black rectangle in the camera view.
To create a privacy zone:
- Select your Peephole Cam in the Ring app.
- Select Video Settings.
- Select Privacy Settings.
- Select Edit Privacy Zones.
- Click on the + to create a new zone and drag the rectangle with your fingers to the location and size that you want.
- Name the zone and save it.
You can create up to two different rectangular-shaped privacy zones.
The Privacy Zones feature is also available on the new Ring Video Doorbell 3 released in April 2020.