It’s great to have a wireless remote. Until they abruptly stop functioning, you cannot do anything, and not even turn on the TV.
Resetting a Firestick remote can reestablish communication with the streaming device, resolving various issues. Here is how to do it:
- Wait about 60 seconds after unplugging your Fire TV Stick.
- Press the Left, Back, and Menu buttons on your remote control simultaneously for 12 seconds.
- Wait for five seconds.
- Remove the batteries and activate your Fire TV Stick.
- Reinstall the batteries in your remote after 60 seconds.
- Hit the Home button.
Unlike some other gadgets, a Firestick remote can’t simply be reset by flipping a switch. Keep reading to learn how you can do it.
Resetting Firestick Remote
The first-generation Alexa Voice Remote and the Basic Edition Remote each feature unique steps for resetting them.
Whereas the Fire TV Smart TV Remote, Fire TV Soundbar Remote, Alexa Voice Remote, and Alexa Voice Remote Lite may all be reset similarly.
You can reset your Fire TV Smart TV Remote or Fire TV Soundbar Remote by following these steps. These will help to reestablish a connection with the streaming device.
- Wait 60 seconds after disconnecting the power cable from your Firestick to ensure a complete shutdown.
- Your remote’s Left, Menu, and Back buttons must be pressed and held for 12 seconds.
- Wait for five seconds after releasing the buttons.
- Remove the batteries of your remote, plug your Firestick back in, and wait an additional 60 seconds.
- Reinstall the batteries in your remote control, then push the Home button.
When it successfully reconnects, a blue light should appear at the top of the remote control.
Press the Home button for an additional 10 seconds, then try using the remote again if you don’t see the light or it’s still not working.
Resetting Basic Edition Firestick Remote
The following instructions will explain how to reset the Basic Edition remote, the earliest Firestick remote model, that no longer comes packaged with any devices.
- Hold down the Home button while simultaneously pressing the Menu button thrice.
- Release the Home button, then repeatedly press the Menu button exactly nine times.
- Remove the batteries from the remote.
- Wait a minute after unplugging your Fire TV Stick.
- Put new batteries in your remote and switch on your Fire TV Stick.
- After the home screen appears, hold the Home button for 40 seconds.
In a minute, the setup will be finished. This remote’s layout varies slightly, but the method is straightforward.
Resetting First-generation Firestick Remote
Amazon recommends the given steps for resetting your first-generation Firestick remote.
- Wait a full minute
- Cut the power to your Fire TV Stick
- Press the Left and Menu buttons for at least 12 seconds
- Wait 5 seconds
- Remove the remote’s batteries
- Reconnect your Fire TV stick
- Wait an additional 60 seconds
- Reinstall the batteries in the remote
To check if the Fire TV and remote are correctly synced, tap the Home button again.
For the Firestick remote to sync with the device, Amazon advises keeping it “near 10 feet of the Fire TV device.”
Pairing Your Firestick Remote
After successfully resetting your Firestick remote, it will start as new.
Unfortunately, that does mean that you will have to pair it with your Fire TV Stick as if it were fresh from the box again.
Depending on your model, the procedure may differ.
It is also important to remember that not all remotes are compatible with every iteration of the Amazon Fire TV.
Fortunately, pairing your Fire TV Stick often takes little time, so you can quickly get set up and start viewing.
You must reboot your Fire TV Stick to pair a remote control, and while restarting, you must activate pairing mode on the remote control.
After the Fire TV Stick has restarted, it will get paired with the Fire TV Stick remote.
Whether you’re connecting the remote that came with the Fire TV Stick at launch or a suitable alternative, this process is the same in both cases.
A Fire TV Stick remote can be paired as follows:
- Cut the power to your Fire TV Stick.
- Remove the remote’s batteries.
- Return power to the Fire TV Stick.
- Reinsert the batteries of your Fire TV Stick remote.
- Press the Home button for 10 seconds.
- Release it once the light starts blinking.
Wait for the menu screen to load on your Fire TV Stick before confirming that the remote was paired.
After successfully pairing, some remotes blink blue light.
Resetting your Fire TV Stick remotes is a sure way of getting rid of any bugs or problems your remote might have.
The resetting process varies slightly with the different Fire TV Stick remote models but is quite simple regardless of which model it is.
After resetting the remote, you must pair it with a compatible TV.