In the residential sector, Lutron has emerged as a leader when it comes to smart lighting. Lutron is worth looking at for your smart switch needs with its full line of highly customizable, feature-rich switches. Comparing the Lutron Caseta versus the Lutron Maestro can help you decide which product is right for your situation.
Just as every home is different, Lutron offers different products to fit every lighting need and budget. But which dimmer from Lutron is for you? Keep reading to find out the key differences between the two to help you make an informed decision.
What’s the Difference Between Lutron Caseta and Maestro?
Lutron Maestro is the company’s first product introduced for home dimming control. More affordable but with fewer options, it is a quality entry-level product. Lutron Caseta is their full-featured upgrade, with smart device capability and hub connectivity, but it costs more overall.
Depending on the size of your home, budget, and preferences in both compatibility and function, finding the right Lutron dimmer switch for your home requires comparing the features and determining your needs. The below table compares both switches to help you decide:
|Lutron Maestro||Lutron Caseta|
|Works with Pico remote control||Yes||Yes|
|Easy do-it-yourself installation||Yes||Yes|
|Compatible with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, Serena Shades, and Sonos||No||Yes|
|Full control through the Lutron App||No||Yes|
|One hub for several devices||No||Yes|
|Requires a neutral wire||No||Yes|
Pros and Cons of the Lutron Maestro
Choosing the earlier entry-level dimmer switch from Lutron offers some advantages if you are looking for a more affordable way to control your lights. However, the Lutron Maestro offers far less customization and options for your lighting profile:
- Adding the Lutron Maestro to your home is a great choice for smaller homes without multiple switches over many rooms.
- Control using the Pico remote does not require any smartphone configuration, keeping control with the remote. Having a guest who feels more comfortable using a remote rather than their phone makes this an attractive option, but it does limit your choices.
- The switch has an easy-to-use rocker control for on and off control, as well as a side rocker to control dimming.
- Each Maestro dimmer switch requires a Pico remote to control your lights. You can have multiple remotes, but this is often a drawback for many customers looking for full smart home connectivity.
- Unlike the Lutron Caseta, the Maestro does not require a neutral wire. Lutron markets the Maestro to retrofit switches in older homes. This can be a plus for people looking for much easier installation in their older dwellings.
Pros and Cons of the Lutron Caseta
Unlike the Lutron Maestro, the Caseta smart dimmer switch is the device that you want if full, customizable control of your lights is what you are seeking.
- The latest model of lighting control from Lutron is the Caseta. Fully customizable with many options, this version is well worth the extra price.
- Works with the most popular smart devices, including the Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, Serena Shades, and Sonos.
- With geofencing capability, the Caseta allows you to create automatic lighting that turns on and off when you approach or leave your location. This added feature increases safety and security to your home lighting experience.
- Adding in the convenience of full control through the Lutron app, there are endless combinations of profiles for each light that you can control through the app.
- You will need to add the required hub to your system to use the Caseta in your home.
- While pricier than the Maestro and setup is more complex, the Caseta offers countless more options.
- It does require a neutral wire for installation, which can be difficult for older homes that do not have one available.
What Are Users Saying About Lutron Caseta vs. Maestro?
After reading about the features of each smart switch, it is prudent to take some time to see what other owners are saying about each product.
- Earning 4.7 out of 5-stars for the Lutron Maestro, users often mention the device’s simplicity as a strong pro. Reading the reviews can give you valuable insight to help you decide which smart switch is best for you.
- By comparison, owners of the Lutron Caseta give their device a 4.8 out of 5-star rating. Click here to see what users are saying about their experience with the device.
Both devices are popular with users, so researching the reviews can help you make the right choice.
If you are in the market to upgrade your home lighting, Lutron Caseta and the Maestro offer quality smart dimmer switches. Whether you want the simpler, remote control-only control of the Maestro or the highly customizable Lutron Caseta, both switches can provide you with excellent lighting control in your home for a reasonable price.