Like any portable smart speaker, the last thing you want to do is see your device get damaged by water or moisture when you bring it poolside or on your next beach trip, and the same is no different with the Google Nest Audio. With that said, you may be wondering if this new smart speaker from Google is waterproof.
Unfortunately, the Google Nest Audio is not waterproof. It shouldn’t be used outside where it might get wet or in extremely humid rooms. If you want to have the Google Nest Audio near water, you will need to keep it in a waterproof case.
Since the Google Nest Audio is not waterproof, you are probably wondering exactly where you can bring it. Don’t worry; we will go over all those details in this article. We will also discuss some ways you can protect your speaker.
Is the Google Nest Audio Waterproof?
The Google Nest Audio is not waterproof and should not be submerged in water. The device is also not water-resistant and shouldn’t be in an area where it can get splashed or sprinkled with water.
So, if you will be near water or the weather is calling for rain, you should leave the device at home. Additionally, humidity and moisture can affect the speaker’s internal components over time, so it’s also best to avoid using it in the shower or on the porch if it is extremely humid.
Can Google Nest Audio Be Used Outside?
According to Google, the nest audio is “only designed to work in a dry, indoor environment.” The Google Nest Audio can overheat if used in an outdoor environment. If you want to use your Google Nest Audio outside, follow these tips:
- Keep it underneath shade or an umbrella.
- Never put it into direct sunlight.
- Never put it into dirt, dust, or sand.
- Place it on a table or clean surface.
- Immediately put it inside or in a case if it begins to rain.
- Remove any dirt or debris from it immediately.
- Check the device to make it is not overheating.
- If it starts to perform weirdly or stops working, bring it inside.
- Never touch the device if it is too hot or sparking.
Remember that using the device improperly can result in the warranty being voided, so always make sure you are using the device correctly.
How to Protect the Google Nest Audio from Water
Since the speaker is portable, you probably want to be able to bring it with you places. Anytime you move with it, you should consider putting it in a waterproof case. There isn’t a waterproof case specially made for the Nest Audio, but you can always get a waterproof bag for it.
Here are some waterproof cases and bags that can protect your speaker:
- Homyl Case and Wall Mount: Perfect for mounting on the kitchen or bathroom wall, so you don’t have to worry about splashes and spills.
- XLHVTERLI Waterproof Bag: This is an excellent bag plus Bluetooth speaker choice if you want to connect the Google Nest to a waterproof speaker.
- MARCHWAY Dry Bag: This is an excellent basic waterproof bag to keep the Google Nest Audio in. It comes in many different colors and sizes.
If you want to use the speaker in the shower or on the porch, you can always connect to another Bluetooth speaker that is waterproof. You can use the Bluetooth waterproof speaker outside and have it connected to the Google Nest Audio inside. For help connecting your Google Nest Audio to speakers, follow this guide.
Some Bluetooth speakers are very inexpensive, so this can be a cost-effective way to still use the Google Nest Audio even though it isn’t waterproof.
What to Do if Google Nest Audio Gets Wet
If your speaker happens to get wet, you should take a few steps to ensure it is protected:
- Unplug it if it is plugged into a power source.
- Gently dab it dry with a paper towel or cloth.
- Never try to dry it with a hairdryer or other external heat source.
- Do not put it into sunlight if it becomes wet.
- Never use the device if it is damaged or appears to be overheated.
- Do not disassemble the device yourself to remove water.
- If the outside is dry, the inside could still be wet, so never try to use the device until it has been looked at by a professional.
The Google Nest Audio is not waterproof and should not be used in or near water. Having it close to water can damage the device and make it dangerous to use. Always keep the device in a waterproof bag, away from direct sunlight, and out of dirt and sand. Consider connecting it to a separate waterproof Bluetooth speaker if you want to use it outside.