Is the Fire HD 10 Good for Reading
The Fire HD 10 is one of the most recent flagship tablets produced by Amazon, and when compared to other Amazon tablets, it is just bigger and better. It is a versatile multimedia device that can serve different purposes such as being your smart home hub. But how good is reading your favorite electronic books on this smart device?
The Fire HD 10 comes with a 10-inch 1920 x 1200 display which gives you 224ppi in pixel density, and it’s still perfect for reading ebooks and comics. If you want the best reading experience, consider going for the Kindle Oasis or paperwhite as both weigh less, and have a higher pixel density of about 300ppi.
All the three tablets listed above come with anti-glare standard glass displays which yield to external sources of light. But thanks to Amazon, they created advanced polarizing filters to be operated in the screens to battle this issue. In this article, we are going to compare the Fire HD 10 to Kindle, and we are going to show you how you can use your Fire HD 10 as a Kindle.
Which is Better for Reading?
Amazon Fire tablets which were named Kindle Fire tablet in its inception are dissimilar to Kindle readers. Although when it comes to the job of reading, they would both serve you well.
Kindle readers have a feature called e-ink, and this is integrated into the display of the tablet. Some models support touch screens, and they only display in black and white making them perfect for reading. This tablet does not feature an App Store hence it was mainly built for e-book readers.
If you would like to learn more about Fire HD 10, check out this article.
The Fire HD 10 on the other hand boasted a full-color touch screen, and they run on a customized Android operating system called the Fire Os. There is an App Store present although it’s an Amazon App Store, a web browser, and everything you would expect a normal tablet to use.
You can even go further by installing Google play services on this tablet, and in all, they can serve as a smart home hub. But this doesn’t mean it can’t be used as a Kindle. Keep reading to find out how.
How to Use Your Fire HD 10 as a Kindle
While your Fire HD device may not be specifically made for reading like the Kindle, it can still be used to read your favorite books. The Kindle app is installed on your Fire HD as a default app because why won’t an Amazon tablet have one of the best services the company provides.
To use your Fire HD 10 as a Kindle, do this:
- You can locate this app by going to the center of your Home Screen. The app synchronizes with your Amazon account so any books you purchased from the library are listed there.
- From there on, you can select the particular literature you want to read through.
- Once you open the e-book, tap on the center of your screen.
- This would bring up the menu, tap on the “Aa” icon, and set the reading page to your preference.
If by chance you own or purchase a Kindle, the progress of each book read would be synced to that device as long as you are logged into your Amazon account. So you can progress on a book using your Fire HD 10 then switch immediately to your Kindle without being confused at where you stopped.
So the 10 inches 1920 x 1200 display of your Fire HD tablet won’t be as easy on your vision as the Kindle e-reader but it can pass as a Kindle too.
Things to Keep in Mind When Reading on Amazon Fire Tablet
Here are some things you should keep in mind when reading on your Fire HD 10:
- Landscape-first Design – When using a Fire Tablet, you have to keep in mind that they are designed mainly for landscape use. If you read using one hand, you can rotate the screen and lock the rotation.
- Consider using blue Shade mode – Blue shade mode is made for users who read immediately before going to bed. This feature helps get rid of distractions, and they prepare you for sleep.
- Limited access to downloaded books – If you are someone who loves downloading books from other sources apart from Amazon, you may have problems accessing them on your Kindle app. This is because they are stored in a different place.
Now you know everything about reading on the Fire HD 10.
Fire HD 10 is one of the fastest tablets that was ever produced by Amazon. It has a peak performance compared to most of the other tablets. If you want a tablet only for reading, you can go for the Kindle, but if you need a tablet that can do it all, then the Fire HD 10 is for you. This tablet can serve as a normal tablet, a smart home hub, or a Kindle for your reading needs.