Is SimpliSafe Doorbell Waterproof and Easy Ways to Protect It
How do you protect your home and your loved ones inside it? The SimpliSafe Video Doorbell is an attractive smart product designed to blend into your home’s curb appeal. However, because it is an outdoor device, you may be wondering if it is effective in harsh weather conditions like rain, wind, and snow.
Is the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell waterproof? No, the SimpliSafe Smart Doorbell does not have any weatherproof or waterproof features. Fortunately, there are some techniques you can use to help your device withstand harsh conditions.
Continue reading to learn about the SimpliSafe Doorbell’s ability to withstand weather, your choices for weatherproof video doorbells, and what you can do to protect your device.
Is the SimpliSafe Doorbell Waterproof?
When homeowners shop for video doorbells, they may consider the device’s ability to last through various weather conditions. This is especially true in regions where heavy rainfall frequently hits. If you are going to spend some money on smart technology, you surely want to make sure it will not become easily damaged.
Is the SimpliSafe Smart Doorbell waterproof? No, the smart doorbells manufactured by SimpliSafe are not built with waterproof features. Experts especially recommend that you avoid intentionally exposing your video doorbell to much water, as this could eventually damage your device. Make sure you know how to properly install and use your device to avoid water damage.
Is SimpliSafe Doorbell Wireless? Click here to find out.
Very minor water-resistant features are often installed on these devices as a safety measure to protect the internal parts of the device. However, these features are not strong enough to withstand full submersion in water.
To get the most out of your SimpliSafe Smart Video Doorbell and expand its lifespan, make sure to install it correctly the first time. Installation is easy for most beginner homemakers, but it is still crucial to plan your project out. Make sure to mount your doorbell in a manner that will help it weather any storm and be protected by your house’s existing features.
Keep the owner’s manual handy to follow the directions for proper installation. You can also follow along with this online installation guide from SimpliSafe. For the best results, be careful with the location you install your video doorbell. It will need access to your old doorbell’s existing wiring setup.
Fortunately for many homeowners, a number of front doors and porches are covered by an awning or other roofing, so you may be in luck when it comes to standing up to harsh weather. Try to install your doorbell below the range of this covering to avoid it being hit directly by wet weather conditions like rain or snow.
Does SimpliSafe Doorbell have a Battery? Find out here in our other article we wrote.
Although SimpliSafe does not currently sell any doorbell models that are waterproof, the company has announced that they will be adding these features to their line in the near future. Stay tuned to see what they come up with.
Benefits of Owning an Outdoor Smart Doorbell
Owning a smart doorbell has a bunch of great benefits for the homeowner. It can alert you when visitors are approaching your front door, watch for packages, or warn you when suspicious motion is detected.
These notifications will be delivered straight to your smartphone as a push notification, letting you know in real-time what is happening at your front door.
However, in order to provide you with quality video streaming and motion detection, your device should be able to withstand any type of weather. Your smart video doorbell needs to be able to see clearly at night and remain in full capability throughout elements like hot temperatures, rain, and wind.
That’s why it can be a better idea to purchase a device that was designed to last through any weather conditions.
Video Doorbells That Are Waterproof
If you live in an area that is prone to heavy rainy seasons, you may want to consider purchasing a smart video doorbell that has weatherproof qualities. The following models have water-resistant or weatherproof features to protect from the elements:
- Ring Video Doorbell 2 (Amazon): This doorbell will continue working in conditions ranging from -2 to 120 °F. It also allows you to create custom motion zones to point your device in the direction traffic will usually come from.
- ADT Video Doorbell (ADT): This doorbell has weather resistance features. It integrates with your ADT home security system, so it helps monitor your home in advanced ways.
- Google Nest Hello (Google Store): This doorbell is weatherproof and will withstand heavy rains. It comes at a slightly higher price because its home security features are powered by AI motion detection and facial recognition.
- RemoBell Smart Video Doorbell (Amazon): This model comes with a weather-resistant design. It also allows you to save the video to your cloud storage for three days without a monthly subscription.
- Geeni Wireless Video Doorbell (Amazon): This doorbell has water-resistant technology to withstand the elements. It comes at a relatively affordable price and shoots with automatic night vision when the sunsets.
If these doorbells do not work for you but you still want a weatherproof option, you can also install the Ring Peephole Cam. This device is installed into your front door’s existing peephole slot.
This is a great option because most front doors are shaded in some way by an awning or cover. This peephole video doorbell can be automatically protected from the elements when installed directly on your front door. It is also a great option if you are renting your home or apartment and are not allowed to drill into your walls.
Ways to Protect Your SimpliSafe Video Doorbell
Many modern smart doorbells like the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell can be an investment in your home’s security. Because you’re paying a higher price for these advanced devices, you want to take the right precautions to improve the longevity (SimpliSafe Article) and lifespan of them. Use these tips to protect your SimpliSafe Smart Doorbell, so it will withstand harsh and wet conditions:
- When you purchase your SimpliSafe Video Doorbell from certain retailers, you can purchase SmashSafe protection, power outage protection, and deep encryption. These protection plans can give you support if anything ever happens to your device.
- Buy a cover (Amazon) or a rain blocking mount (Amazon) from various retailers to protect your device from the weather.
- You can also install some caulk around the video doorbell to reinforce its mounting to your wall. This is a simple DIY option for a little weatherproofing.
- Another smart doorbell weatherproofing option is to apply silicone or acrylic in between the small gaps. This solution can help protect your device’s internal components.
Without some sort of cover or protection, you risk exposing your doorbell to water damage, which can reduce the lifespan of your device or its ability to function properly. The SimpliSafe Smart Doorbell is built to be pretty sturdy, however, so you may not see any symptoms or issues for a while after you first purchase it.
Improve Your Home Security
With smart home technology, you can secure your home from almost anywhere in the world as long as you’re connected to a WiFi network. Products like the SimpliSafe Smart Doorbell are compatible with home security systems that can combine to monitor the interior and exterior of your home.
This is a great help when it comes to keeping loved ones and pets safe at your house.
Continue reading to learn more about the smart home technology you can add to your abode. You have endless options to connect your home’s devices to each other and your smartphone.