Is Rachio Compatible with Alexa?
Amazon’s Alexa started as a luxury smart home appliance that could respond to voice commands. Now, nearly seven years since the device’s release, it has become a necessity in many homes. It is compatible with Ring, Samsung Smart TVs, and many other essential products. But is it also compatible with Rachio?
Alexa is compatible with Rachio. By syncing the two devices in the Alexa app, you can set schedules, enable voice commands, and control your lawn’s “zones.” This process involves adding the Rachio “skill” to your Alexa, which takes only a few moments of your time.
Continue reading to learn more about using your Rachio sprinkler system with your Alexa. By doing so, you unlock tons of features that allow you to control your lawn’s watering times from the comfort of your couch.
Is Rachio Compatible with All Alexa Devices?
Whether you’re still using your original Amazon Echo or sprung for the more recent fourth generation, Rachio should be compatible with all Alexa-enabled devices. By upgrading to a newer Echo Dot, you could get faster responses, updated features, and a host of other benefits.
How to Connect Your Rachio to Alexa
First, open the Alexa app and navigate to the “Skills” section from your menu. At that point:
- Search for “Rachio” by typing in your request.
- Tap on the blue rectangle that says Enable.
- Enter your Rachio account’s login information.
At this point, you’ll need to confirm that you successfully completed this process. You can do so by saying, “Alexa, open Rachio.” Then, give it a command, like “Alexa, tell Rachio to [insert command here].”
You can learn more about connecting your Alexa to your Rachio system by clicking here.
What Do I Need to Connect My Rachio to My Alexa?
To control your sprinkler system using voice commands, you will need to have downloaded the Alexa app and the Rachio app. Both of these applications are free downloads on the Google Play Store and App Store.
You also need to:
- Connect your Rachio to your various sprinklers’ “zones.” The Rachio 3 Smart Sprinkler Control can power up to 16 zones, allowing for a comprehensive watering of your lawn.
- Your Rachio must also be wired into your home’s power grid. When installing it, you would place it where your previous sprinkler controller was located. Click here to learn more about installing your Rachio device.
- Keep in mind that your Rachio and Alexa must be on the same Wi-Fi network to function. You can check your devices’ connectivity status from either the Alexa app or the Rachio app. If they are not on the same network, you won’t be able to control your sprinkler system using voice commands.
- To access Rachio’s features, you must have an internet speed of 2.4 to 5gHz. You can perform an internet connectivity test by using this tool from Google. If your Rachio disconnects from the Wi-Fi for any reason, it will try to reconnect every 30 minutes for 24 hours. That way, if you suffer an outage, your lawn’s watering schedule is not interrupted.
What Commands Can I Use with Alexa for Rachio?
There is virtually no limit to the commands you can give to your Rachio via your Alexa. If you’ve successfully installed your Rachio device and synced it with your Amazon smart home assistant, you could use these voice commands:
- “Alexa, tell Rachio to turn on the sprinkler.”
- “Alexa, tell Rachio to delay watering for two hours.”
- “Alexa, tell Rachio to run zone four for one hour.”
- “Alexa, tell Rachio it’s raining.” (This will delay your watering schedule.)
You can learn more about what commands you can give your Rachio via your Alexa by clicking here.
Is Rachio Compatible with Other Smart Home Assistants?
Your Rachio sprinkler system is designed with flexibility in mind. That being said, it’s compatible with smart home assistants other than Alexa. It also works with:
- Google Home
- Apple HomeKit
For the most part, these devices offer standard benefits. You can pause, start, and stop your sprinklers with the help of these devices. Of course, if you prefer simplicity, you can make any necessary change within the Rachio app.
Rachio is not only compatible with Alexa but a host of other smart home devices, as well. By pairing these two devices, you can have total control over your lawn’s sprinkling schedule, function, and usage.