I recently purchased three Nest Indoor Cameras for my kitchen, living room, and dining room. My goal was to monitor my dogs and keep an eye on my apartment when I am not home for security purposes. My ultimate smart home capability would be to sync the cameras to Amazon Alexa along with some of my other devices.
Is Nest Camera Compatible with Alexa? Yes, Alexa does have a smart home skill that allows the integration of Nest cameras into Amazon Alexa. This will only work on devices that display video, for example, Amazon Fire TV.
As with other Alexa devices, the Nest Indoor Cameras communicate with Amazon Alexa via WiFi. This means that all of your Nest cameras will work with Alexa. As I said, the only caveat here is that you will need some sort of display to see the video. I will get to that later in the article.
Nest cameras are a valid option for home security due to the fantastic Nest Aware feature. Nest Aware offers continuous recording, video history, alerts for familiar faces, alerts for dogs barking, alerts for spotting someone in the room, etc. Available cameras for indoor and outdoor use include:
- Nest Camera IQ – Outdoor
- Nest Camera IQ – Indoor
- Nest Camera Indoor
- Nest Camera Outdoor
- Hello Video Doorbell
All of these cameras can be integrated into Amazon Alexa. The Alexa Home Skill can be set up so that you can use voice control to see who is at your door or check up on your backyard, for example, while you are watching tv.
Alexa Smart Home Skills
Alexa Smart Home skills enable you to integrate your devices from other applications and control them using your voice. As I stated earlier there are only two Nest smart home skills, one for Nest cameras and one for Nest thermostats. The Nest camera home skill will only work with an amazon device that has video, for example, Amazon Fire TV.
Setting Up the Nest Camera Smart Home Skill
Now, let’s walk you through setting up your Amazon Alexa smart home skill so that you can control your cameras on any video feed Amazon device that utilizes Alexa.
To set up the Nest Camera smart home skill:
- Make sure your Nest camera(s) are set up correctly and you have the Nest application on your smartphone.
- Make sure your Amazon Alexa is set up correctly and you have the Amazon Alexa application on your smartphone.
- Open the Amazon Alexa application and tap the menu button on the top left-hand corner of the screen.
- Tap on ‘Skills & Games’ in the menu.
- Tap on ‘Search’ in the top right-hand corner.
- Type in ‘Nest Camera’ and select Nest Camera from the list of results.
- In the search results select the ‘Nest Camera’ skill.
- Now you will want to tap on the ‘Enable’ button to enable the Nest Camera skill.
- Nest will ask you to enter you user account name and password.
- Now the skill will be enabled so that you can discover any available Nest devices.
- Tap the menu button on the top left-hand corner of the screen again and tap ‘Add Device’, select ‘Camera’, and choose ‘Nest.’
- Then select the ‘Discover Devices’ button.
At this point, all of your Nest cameras will be discoverable. You have the option to add a group so that you can add multiple cameras to one group so that when you view them you can see all feeds at one time.
Nest packs their cameras full of features in a bundle called Nest Aware. Nest ensures that you are aware of sights and sounds by sending alerts instantly. Not only that you can speak to anyone in/or outside your home or business as well as take pictures or video during and after an event.
- 24/7 Recording: Continuous recording that allows you to record for 5 days 10 days or 10 days.
- Alerts: Person alerts, bark alerts, face alerts, activity zones, etc.
- Night Vision: Excellent night vision with 1080p.
- Talk and Listen: You can talk and listen to whoever and whatever is on the other side of the video (intruders, pets, family).
- Pictures and Videos: You can create pictures and videos from the continues recording and alerts.
The Nest Aware subscription takes security a whole new level and adding the Amazon Alex smart home skill means that you can watch your home from anywhere with the sound of your voice.
Can Echo Show be used as a security camera?
Yes! You can view your camera footage on all of the following Amazon devices:
- Echo Show
- Echo Spot
- Fire TV
- Fire tablet
The device application supports voice integration so that you can set up Amazon Alexa home smart skills and simply ask Alexa to show you footage from your camera. For example, ‘Alexa, show the event that just happened on the Living Room camera’. You can also see live feeds, for example, ‘Alexa, show the backyard camera’. The ability to see past events is the newest skill Amazon has added to Alexa.
Does Alexa work with the Nest Hello Doorbell?
Yes, if you enable the Nest Camera smart home skill you will be able to see the live feed from the doorbell. However, much like in the before-mentioned article, a video enabled device is needed to see the feed. This means that an Amazon Alexa Sport, Fire TV, or something similar will be needed to see the video from the camera.
Do Ring products work with Alexa?
Yes! All Ring products work with Amazon Alexa devices. For example, the all of the following products connect and work with Alexa by saying ‘Alexa, show the front door’ or something similar.
- Ring Video Doorbell 2,
- Ring Video Doorbell Pro,
- Ring Video Doorbell Elite, and
- Ring Floodlight Cam
You can also watch the video stream from these products using the following Amazon products:
- Echo Show,
- Echo Show 2nd Gen,
- Echo Spot,
- Fire TV,
- Fire TV Stocks,
- Fire TV Edition Smart TVs,
- and Fire Tablet.
Ring has done an exceptional job of ensuring all of their products connect and integration with Amazon Alexa.