Amazon’s Echo Dot is an incredible smart home device that allows you to listen to music, podcasts, and much more. If you own an Echo Dot—or are thinking about purchasing one—you may be considering taking it with you on your travels or using it outside for your next outdoor gathering by the pool, which begs the question, is the Echo Dot waterproof?
The Echo Dot is not waterproof or water-resistant. The Echo Dot should not be used in the rain, the pool, or any other place where it may be affected by water or moisture. Even the smallest amount of water could get in through a crack and make it inoperable.
So should you even bring the Echo Dot outside? What precautions can you take when using the device around water? We’ll cover all of this and more below, as well as what to do if your Echo Dot ends up getting wet.
Is the Echo Dot Waterproof?
All Amazon Alexa devices, including the Echo Dot, are not waterproof or water-resistant. This means they should not be submerged, sprayed, or splashed with water. The Echo Dot should not be exposed to any form of humidity or moisture.
Keep your Echo Dot away from:
- Pools or other bodies of water where it could fall in
- Saunas and other rooms with high moisture
- Rain, snow, and sleet
- Humid environments such as the patio or outdoor area of your home
Some people leave their Echo Dot in the bathroom, but it’s recommended you remove it if you are taking a shower that will produce a large amount of steam.
If your Echo Dot gets wet, it may:
- Stop working entirely
- Become unable to turn on
- Lose some features or the ability to answer voice commands
- Lose internet connection
- Randomly turn off or become unresponsive
What Do I Do If My Echo Dot Gets Wet?
If your Echo Dot gets wet, do not start checking the features and power immediately. You always want to unplug the product and let it dry before you test if it works. Remember that if the outer shell is wet, the inside could be wet as well. As soon as the inside parts get wet, you risk the device not performing anymore.
However, just because your Echo Dot gets wet does not mean it will stop working. You may have a friend or heard a story about someone that said their device got wet and now continues to work perfectly fine. With that said, if you take the proper steps after your Echo Dot gets wet, you may be able to save it and keep using it.
Follow these tips immediately if your Echo Dot gets water or moisture in/on it:
- Carefully unplug all the cables. Make sure your hands do not get wet.
- Wait for the device and cables to dry completely before plugging them in again.
- Do not try to dry the Echo Dot with a heat source such as a hairdryer. Do not put the Echo Dot in the sun to dry. Leave it out to air dry in your home away from heat. You can also dry it gently with paper towels.
- Gently shake any excess water off, but don’t shake too hard.
Once you have followed these tips, you can follow these steps to try and get the Echo Dot working again:
- Take a can of compressed air and use it to dry small openings such as jacks and keys.
- Take a gallon Ziploc bag and fill it with dry and uncooked rice.
- Leave the Echo Dot overnight in the rice bag.
- The following day, put the Echo Dot in a fresh bag of rice.
- Keep repeating every morning until the rice in the bag is completely dry.
- Leave the device out to air dry for an additional few hours.
- Once you’re completely sure that it’s dry on the inside, carefully plug it back in.
The one-year warranty on Echo Dot is limited and most likely does not cover water damage. This makes it extremely important to always keep your device away from water and moisture.
Despite the Echo Dot being an amazing speaker and great for smart home automation, it’s not waterproof. Always keep your Echo Dot away from water and humidity. If it gets wet, unplug it immediately and let it dry before you plug it back in again. Wait until it’s dry before you begin checking if features still work.