The Wyze company began with the reliable, but affordable Wyze camera, they have since created more smart home technologies; such as, the Wyze Lock, the Wyze Bulb, and the Wyze Plug. This company was founded by people who all met while they were working at Amazon, which is why it was so shocking to many that the Wyze Camera wasn’t compatible with Alexa.
How do you use Wyze with Alexa (Or Firestick or Fire TV)?
- Make sure that you do not have the Wyze cam v1, as this camera is incompatible with Alexa.
- You will need to download the Wyze app.
- After downloading the app, ensure that each Wyze Cam is linked to the app.
- Update all of the firmware by clicking on each camera’s live stream in the Wyze app.
- Now, enable the Wyze Skill through the Alexa app, Amazon, or by telling Alexa to enable it.
The ability to check in on your family from wherever you may be, with ease and accuracy from your smartphone is one of the most important aspects of owning a Wyze Camera. Knowing that you’ve properly connected your Wyze technology, will give you the peace of mind you need when you leave your house, that your family and home are safe.
Connecting Wyze with Alexa an In-Depth Explanation
New smart technology can be difficult to figure out. Frustration often stems from an inability to understand what the technical manuals are saying, and let’s be honest, who reads them? We throw them in the bottom of the box and go in search of easier answers on the web.
Step One- Ensuring You Don’t Have the Wyze V1
When the four creators of Wyze got together and created their first camera, they, unfortunately, did not make it with Alexa technology in mind. The Wyze v1 is the only item not compatible with Alexa. The Wyze Cam v2, as well as the Wyze Cam Pan are both compatible.
To check if you have the right Wyze Cam, all you need to do is look at the bottom of the camera, and there will be a little sticker that should have v2 on it. If you see this, you have the correct device!
Step Two- Downloading the Wyze App
Downloading the app is a simple affair, that most of us are well versed in today. The Wyze app is available through Google Play, or the Apple store for free. It has a 3.6 rating in Google Play, and a 3.4 rating through the Apple store.
The main concern seems to be that their AI technology is temporarily unavailable due to the ending of their agreement with the AI’s provider; however, they are planning on integrating their own AI detection system.
To download the app, you need to have any of the operating systems newer than Android 5, or IOS 9. Anything older than that, and there may be some compatibility issues. Wyze doesn’t work with any Windows devices, or the Amazon Kindle Fire. (Source)
Step Three- Ensure the Wyze Cam Is Linked to the App
Setting up your Wyze cam in the app won’t take long, just follow a few simple steps directly from the Wyze site (Source) :
- As we discussed in the section above, you need to download the app, and connect it to a Wi-Fi network.
- Using the USB cable
included, as well as the power adapter, plug in the camera.
- Once you see a flashing yellow light, the Wyze cam is ready for setup.
- Add a new device or an
additional new device in the Wyze app.
- Either select the New Device button in the center of the phone or hit the “…” in the top right corner of the app if you already have a Wyze cam attached to the account.
- Hold setup at the bottom of the camera until you hear “Ready to connect.”
- You will need to add your Wi-Fi network by entering your network name and password.
- A QR code will pop up on your phone screen, just point the camera you are trying to set up until you hear “QR code scanned, please wait.”
- Once you scan the code click the button that pops up saying, “I heard ‘QR code scanned, please wait,” and the Wyze cam will finish connecting.
There you have it! Your Wyze cam is all set up in the Wyze app.
Step Four- Update Firmware On Each Wyze Cam
All you’ve got to do to update the firmware is go to the Wyze app and click on each camera’s live feed. It should automatically ask you if you would like to update as soon as you click that camera’s live feed. If by chance you accidentally click cancel, go to settings, hit device info, click check update, then hit update (Source.)
Step Five- Enable Wyze Skill
You can enable Wyze skill through the Alexa app or by simply telling Alexa to enable it.
- To enable your Wyze cam to work with Alexa through the app, go to “Account Settings,” and hit “Works With.” From there you should be able to link your Wyse device to Alexa.
- To link your Wyse cam on Amazon, just go to Amazon, click skills in the category bar to the left of the page, and search up Wyze. There you will find the Wyse Skill.
- The easiest way of all is to simply ask Alexa to enable Wyze Skill on any compatible Amazon Device.
Connecting Wyze with Amazon Firestick/Fire TV
The Firestick is an Amazon media player, that can be found on their website.
It enables the user to access all famous streaming apps, such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc. as well as use of Alexa skills, various channels, and websites at the touch of a finger. Amazon Prime users can also enjoy their membership with all the unlimited movies and tv shows available on Prime Video.
There is only one extra step when it comes to setting up your Amazon Firestick. All you must do is press the button on the top of the remote to enable Wyze Skill using your voice. After that, you can activate Alexa at any time by just pressing the button at the top of the remote and asking Alexa to show you your camera.
Other Wyze Devices
Wyze does not only have Security cameras for sale, but a variety of other smart technologies meant to make your life easier. Besides the Wyze Cam, and Wyze Cam Pan, this company offers a Wyze Plug, Wyze Bulb, and Wyze Sense.
This device comes with many useful abilities. First being you can turn any outlet on and off. Even if the object plugged into it isn’t a smart object. When the plug cuts off the source of power the item simply turns off. Imagine all you can save on your power bill with the ability to turn off your appliances with your voice, or if you aren’t home, with the click of a finger in your app!
Vacation mode enables the plugs to turn on and off at random. Ensuring anyone passing by thinks that the house is still in use and reducing any likelihood of unsavory characters approaching your house.
You can even schedule them to turn on and off. Like your coffee first thing in the morning? Schedule the plug to turn on at whatever time you like.
You can find a two-pack of these smart plugs here.
This bulb is simple, but useful, nonetheless. By the sound of your voice, or a click of a button you can turn the lights on and off. You can also control the type of light you are receiving. Warm light, cool light, dim light, and many other options. Vacation mode is also available with these lights, and you don’t even need the Wyze Plug.
You can buy two of these here.
This comes with a Wyze Contact Sensor, and a Wyze Motion Detector. The contact sensor will let you know if something is open, closed, or left open. The motion detector lets you know when a person or pet moves within your home. These devices will inform you when and where the events occur within your home.
You can get a Wyze Sense Starter Kit, with a Wyze Camera, Sensor, and Motion Detector here.