Nobody wants to spend their entire cookout standing over a hot, steaming grill. But now, with Traeger’s line of smart grills, you don’t have to. These grills us an app called Traeger WiFIRE, which allows you to control your grill’s temperature and cook time. Using it is easy, and connecting it to your grill takes no time at all.
Below is a step-by-step guide to using Traeger WiFIRE with their smart grills. All you need is a smartphone, an internet connection, and your Traeger Grill.
Download the Traeger App
Before doing anything else, you’ll need to download the Traeger App to your phone.
- If you have an Android phone, you can download the Traeger App from the Google Play Store. Your phone must be 8.0 or later to manage the app’s data.
- If you have an iPhone, you can download the app through the App Store. Your phone must be iOS 13.0 or later.
Connect Your Phone to the Grill
Your phone will give your grill “instructions” via the Traeger app. However, you must first connect the two. Once you have downloaded the app:
- Open it.
- Select “Add New Grill.”
- Choose your grill’s model, then tap “Next.”
- Accept Traeger’s terms and conditions.
- Select your Wi-Fi network and click “Continue.”
Note: If you have trouble getting the Traeger WiFire connected, check out this article for troubleshooting steps.
At this point, your next steps will depend on whether your grill has a QR code.
What to Do If You have a QR code
Your QR code’s location will depend on what type of grill you have. It could be located under the main hood or under the side console’s lid.
If your grill has a QR code:
- Grant the app access to your photos and camera.
- Capture the code with your camera.
- Enter your Wi-Fi login credentials.
What to Do if You Don’t Have a QR code
If you don’t have a QR code, the setup process becomes longer. Halfway through the process, you’ll need to access information via your grill’s screen. You can scroll through your options using the dial on the right-hand side.
Now, proceed with the following:
- Select “I Don’t Have a QR Code.”
- Go to your screen’s control screen.
- Hit “Menu.”
- Scroll down and select “Wi-Fi information.”
- On your phone, type in the four digits following your grill’s name.
- On your phone, type in the four digits following “wifire.”
- On the control screen, scroll down and select “Settings,” then “About Grill.”
- Type in the UUID on your phone.
- Enter your home’s Wi-Fi password.
- Tap “Join.”
- Wait until your grill resets.
- Give your grill a name.
At this point, you have successfully paired your phone to your Traeger grill. Keep in mind that if you have an Android, you’ll have to follow a few extra steps. For instance, you must grant access to your location, photos, and camera for your grill to work on your Android device.
Once you’ve reached this point, congratulations! You’re now the proud owner of a Traeger Grill. The steps you take next largely depend on what you’re looking to cook. To get ideas for your first meal, simply open the app and choose what looks good.
- The app will download the recipe to your grill.
- The app will give you instructions from “prep to plate,” minimizing your margin of error.
- If you want to get creative, you can monitor and adjust temperatures remotely.
How does the app work, though? Simple: it connects to the sensors inside of your grill. For instance, to monitor temperature, stick the grill’s probe into your dish, and you’ll get readings via the app. Whether you’re searing a steak or doing a low-and-slow approach, there’s no limit to what you can do with this device.
(Source: Traeger Grills)
Troubleshooting the Traeger WiFIRE Setup Process
If you’re having issues connecting your grill to your phone, consider how the following methods could help you:
Make Sure Everything’s on the Same Wi-Fi Network
Your Traeger Grill depends on a solid Wi-Fi connection to communicate with the app. If you’re having problems relaying information, getting a reading, or starting the process, go into your devices’ settings and make sure they’re on the same network. Doing this on your phone depends on what type of phone you have.
However, to check the grill’s Wi-Fi network:
- Press the Menu button
- Use the dial and scroll down to “Wi-Fi Information.”
You would change your grill’s Wi-Fi network using your phone.
Make Sure Your App Is on the Latest Version
Some users have had issues connecting their phones to their grills. One solution could be updating the app. Check the Google Play Store or Apple App Store to see if any updates are available. If the app isn’t on the latest version, you could have problems pairing.
Once you set up your Traeger WiFIRE Grill, it does everything for you. All you need to do is connect your phone, select the recipe, and throw your meat on the grill. It’ll do everything else!