How to Use Headphones with Apple TV
Apple TV has everything you need for streaming to watch all your favorite shows and movies. If you have an Apple TV 4k or Apple TV HD, you can also use Bluetooth accessories such as keyboards and headphones to make your viewing experience better.
Bluetooth headphones can be paired with Apple TV by going into Settings, Remotes & Devices, Bluetooth, then selecting the name of your headphones from the list. Wait a few seconds and they will pair automatically.
You might be wondering exactly how to connect your headphones to your Apple TV. We will go over all the steps in more detail in this article. We will also discuss how to use more than one Bluetooth accessory and how to unpair them when you’re done.
Pairing Bluetooth Headphones
Only Bluetooth-enabled headphones can be used with Apple TV. Your headphones don’t have to be Apple AirPods or Apple brand headphones though. They only need to have Bluetooth features.
You won’t be able to use headphones that have a regular aux cord as there is no place to plug them into the Apple TV. Follow these steps to connect your headphones to the Apple TV:
- Put your headphones into pairing mode. You can usually do this on your smart device or by pressing a button on the headphones. Each device differs.
- Turn on your Apple TV.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Choose Remotes and Devices.
- Select Bluetooth.
- Allow a few seconds for the Apple TV to find nearby Bluetooth accessories.
- Choose the name of your headphones from the list that comes up.
- Enter in your PIN of four-digit code. If you never set one, it is the default code 0000.
Your headphones will now appear on your My Devices page from the Apple TV so you can pair them easier anytime you want to use them.
Unpairing Bluetooth Headphones
If you turn off your headphones or put them back in their case, they will automatically unpair from the Apple TV. However, sometimes someone might want to start watching the TV and you will still use the headphones with your phone or other devices.
In this case, you will need to unpair them, so that the TV audio won’t still come through them. Follow these steps to get started unpairing:
- From the Apple TV menu, go to Settings.
- Choose Remotes and Devices.
- Choose Bluetooth.
- Select the headphones that you have paired.
- Select Unpair Device.
They should now be unpaired.
Pairing Another Bluetooth Device with Your Headphones
Using your headphones with Apple TV is a great feature, but sometimes you might want to use another Bluetooth at the same time. Apple TV can support some Bluetooth accessories at the same time, but not all.
If you are unable to pair more than one accessory from the settings menu, your other device might not be compatible with simultaneous Bluetooth pairing.
The following devices can be used at the same time as Bluetooth headphones:
There are some apps that allow you to use an IOS device as an additional controller without the need for Bluetooth. This might be a good option if you need to use an additional controller and headphones at the same time.
Why Aren’t My Headphones Connecting to My Apple TV?
Sometimes a Bluetooth accessory might not connect right away. This can be annoying, but it usually has a simple fix. If your Bluetooth isn’t connecting, follow these steps:
- Make sure you are in the range of the Apple TV. There shouldn’t be any walls between you and the Apple TV.
- Check that your headphones are on and in Bluetooth pairing mode.
- Make sure your Apple TV is working on the current firmware. Check for updates under settings.
- You should also check the updates for your Bluetooth headphones.
- Move your Apple TV closer to the television.
- If you see the accessory under settings, but can’t connect to it, try unpairing the device from the steps above and then repairing it.
- Turn your Bluetooth accessory off, wait a few minutes, then turn it back on.
- Turn the Apple TV off, wait a few minutes, then turn it back on.
All the steps above should get your device working. If not, you might need to contact support for your headphones and see what the potential problem is.
Bluetooth Headphone Recommendations
Some of the best Bluetooth headphones from Amazon include:
- Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones
- Anker Soundcore Life Q20
- iJoy Over-Ear Headphones
- Sennheiser HD Active Noise Cancellation
- Sony Wireless Headphones
Now you know everything about using headphones with your Apple TV.
Pairing your headphones with Apple TV can be done in a few simple steps. Just make sure both are on and in pairing mode. If you would like to learn about your Apple TV, take a look at this article.