Google Nest is a relatively new and important tool for homeowners that provides a simple and user-friendly way to remotely control the thermostat in their homes. Unregistering a Nest thermostat is as simple as utilizing the actual thermostat itself.
Unregistering or removing your Nest Thermostat can be completed using the Nest App from your phone or computer. However, the only person who can unregister a Nest thermostat is the owner.
Keep reading to learn how to unregister or remove a Nest thermostat, how to transfer Nest thermostat to a new owner, and move Nest thermostat to a new account.
Unregistering or removing a Nest thermostat is one of the same. To remove your Nest Thermostat you can either utilize the Nest App on your phone or use your computer; the steps are the same regardless of which avenue you choose.
- Log into your Nest App on your phone or online at Nest login.
- Choose the Thermostat for removal.
- Tap the Settings icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select remove thermostat at the bottom of the menu.
- Confirm your choice.
Now, if you are trying to unregister a Nest Thermostat for other reasons such as removing a previous owner, keep reading for a step-by-step process of completing that action.
If you are trying to unregister your Nest Thermostat because it is currently under the rights of the previous owner this section will help. Your Nest Thermostat will still work without removing the previous owner. Removing a previous owner from a Nest Thermostat is not required for this service to work, however; you will need to do so in order to utilize the following features:
- Remotely control your thermostat from your phone
- Receive push notifications from your phone
- Active the home/away assist on your phone
A factory reset will need to be performed to remove the previous owner. Completing a factory reset will allow a new user to start over with the product setup and will wipe your current settings from the thermostat system. This is helpful when moving out of your current home or if you want to install your thermostat in a new home or location.
As previously mentioned, the factory reset will wipe all settings back to the default settings of the Nest Thermostat. It is imperative that you complete this step before unregistering your Nest Thermostat or giving your Nest to a new owner so the transition is simple for the new owners.
- Select the thermostat ring to access the Quick Menu and choose Settings.
- Turn the ring to Reset and press to select.
- Choose All Settings
Performing the factory reset will allow all of your settings to be wiped and the device will go back to the default settings.
If your intention of unregistering your Nest Thermostat is to provide the Nest device to a new owner, keep reading to discover how to transfer the Nest to a new owner.
In order to transfer Nest to a new owner, it is important that you remove all ownership rights from your Nest App on your mobile device. After removing ownership rights, this allows the new owner to download and open their own Nest App and to register themselves as the new owner of the Nest. From here, follow the steps to change the owner of the Nest Thermostat.
- Select the home your Nest Thermostat is registered to and select Settings.
- Select the thermostat that you want to remove ownership from
- Select Remove Nest Thermostat.
Once you have selected to confirm the removal of the Nest Thermostat selected, you will no longer have control over the Nest Thermostat from your Google Nest Account. It is important to note if multiple people have access to the Nest Thermostat that you removed, they will also not be able to access it anymore.
Another common question when unregistering a Nest Thermostat that arose is moving Nest Thermostat to a new account. This is also helpful if you are giving the Nest device to another owner so they can utilize all the features through their own Google Account.
- Open Nest App and select the Settings icon.
- Tap Account and then select Migrate to a Google Account.
- Input the Google Account to use and select Allow.
- Create a “new unified Google Nest home, then invite members to join.”
- Send invites for the new Google Nest Home to your family members
- Review the terms and policies and select Complete Migration.
After you have completed these steps either for the new owner or with the new owner, they will now have full access to the Nest Thermostat. They will be able to utilize all the features you previously had access to and the transition will be seamless.
This article discussed unregistering or removing your Nest Thermostat, how to perform factory resets, and also tips for transferring your Nest to another owner. Should you decide to resell your Nest Thermostat or simply stop using it, this article will prepare you for both options.