How to Self-Install Your New Spectrum Internet
You finally have your new Spectrum Internet, and you want to enjoy your new high-speed internet as soon as possible, but you are not tech-savvy enough to install it yourself. You can call Spectrum to speak to a representative to help you install it, but, depending on the wait, you could wait for a long time to talk to someone just to install your internet simply.
Something so easy to install should not take you half of your day to install just because you do not understand how to install it yourself or you may have to wait to speak to someone to help you. Luckily, you can enjoy your new Spectrum internet as soon as you get home by following these simple steps.
Gather All Needed Accessories
The first step to enjoying your new Spectrum internet right away is to ensure that the product and all the accessories in the kit are inside and do not appear to have any damage. On the rare occasion that something is damaged, you can catch it right away and go back to the store to replace the kit.
Product and accessories in the kit include:
You may need to use a coax splitter as well. This is used to help you connect to multiple devices by splitting a cable signal. However, a coax splitter can weaken the signal of your internet, or you may experience a loss of internet from time to time. It will be beneficial for you to decide if you will need a coax splitter for your Spectrum internet to avoid these problems.
Making sure that you have all the required accessories to install your Spectrum internet will aid you in the installation process. It will save you plenty of time and that way you can enjoy your new internet.
Set Up Your Modem
Once you have made sure that the product and all the correct accessories are inside the package without any damage, the next step is to connect the modem.
Here’s how to set up your modem:
- Take the modem and accessories out of the box.
- Locate a cable wall outlet around the center of your house so that the internet will distribute evenly to your devices.
- If you have a Spectrum receiver, you should connect your Spectrum internet next to it so that you can use the coax splitter.
- Connect the modem to the outlet by using the coax cable that the kit came with.
- If you do have a Spectrum receiver, connect the coax splitter to the wall outlet first, and then connect the modem and receiver to the splitter by using the two cables provided by the kit.
- Take the power chord that came with the kit.
- Connect the power chord to the modem first and then connect it to a power outlet.
- You should then see two lights appear on your modem: a solid light next to the word “power” and a blinking light next to the word “online”.
- The blinking light means that your modem is trying to connect to the network and should take about 2-5 minutes or 20 minutes if your modem needs updating.
- Once the light stops blinking, your modem is connected to the network and updated.
Now you are finally ready to move on to the next step.
Connect Your Modem to Computer or Wi-Fi Router
As soon as you have correctly set up your modem, the next step is to connect it to your computer or your Wi-Fi router. Take the ethernet cable provided, the cable is normally yellow, and connect one end to the ethernet port on the modem and the other end to either your computer or your wifi router.
There is a way if you have a Wi-Fi router for other devices and a computer that needs to be connected to the Spectrum internet:
- Connect the modem to your router via ethernet cable.
- Using another ethernet cable, connect the router to your computer.
- Doing this method will allow both your devices to have internet.
After your modem is connected to either your computer or Wi-Fi router, you are ready to go on to the last step of setting up your Spectrum internet.
Activate Your Modem
You are finally one step away from enjoying your new Spectrum internet without losing half of your day. The last step to setting it up is to activate your modem.
Here’s how to activate your modem:
- Go to the self-install page and sign into your Spectrum account through your phone or tablet.
- If you do not have one, then you will have to create an account.
- Click on the “get started” tab and it will guide you step-by-step on how to activate your Spectrum internet.
Your Spectrum internet should be good to go after! You can also manage or customize your account and devices through your Spectrum account.
The ability for you to enjoy your new Spectrum internet should not be a whole ordeal. Whether it is because you are not tech-savvy or waiting for a Spectrum representative to help you, you should be able to install it yourself quickly and without any difficulty.
These self-install steps listed are clear and concise so that you will not be confused about what to do next and lose precious time. Following them will allow you to be able to enjoy your Spectrum internet as soon as you get home from the store.