As enjoyable as Chromecast is, there are times when we need to take a break to fill up on snacks or take a few minutes to stretch before diving back into the movie. With many streaming choices, you want to have easy access to pause your show without missing what is on the screen.
Learning how to pause Chromecast is easy and can be done with several convenient options. Keep reading to review these different methods and determine and the right choice for your viewing situation.
Pause Chromecast with the Google Media Controls (iOS)
- Open the Google Home app.
- Tap the device you are watching content on.
- You will see Pause, Play, and Stop controls. Press the Pause icon to stop content.
Pause Chromecast with Cast Media Control Notifications (Android)
- When your mobile device or tablet is on the same Wi-Fi network as Chromecast, you will receive Cast Media Control Notifications automatically while streaming. (It should be noted that YouTube notifications are not available.)
- Using the notifications on your device, you will be able to control Pause, Mute, Stop, and settings. Press the Pause icon to stop your content.
Pause Chromecast Using Google Chromecast Remote
After setting up voice commands with your Google Chromecast Remote, you will be able to pause your Chromecast content by speaking to your remote:
- Set up Voice Match by opening the Google Home app, tap your Account, choose Assistant Settings, Voice Match, then Add a Device.
- Choose Chromecast with Google TV.
- Tap Continue, and then I Agree.
- Proceed with the in-app setup.
- While watching Chromecast content, you can now open the microphone by pressing and holding the Google Assistant button on the remote and then saying “Pause” to stop your content from playing.
Pause Chromecast Using the Television Remote
This method for using your television remote to pause Chromecast content is possible. However, there is a chance that it will not be successful all the time.
Depending on the age of your television, the version of Chromecast you are using, as well as the ability to turn on the required settings, you may or may not be able to pause content with this method:
- You will need to enable HDMI-CEC on your television to ensure that pausing Chromecast will work. It is not available on all televisions. You can find a list of manufacturers, as well as their names for the HDMI-CEC setting here.
- The setting is often off by default. After enabling, if your television supports this setting, you will be able to pause Chromecast content.
Troubleshooting Pausing with Chromecast
Despite having all the correct settings in place to ensure you control the ability to pause with Chromecast, there are times when your program can pause without any input from you.
In many cases, your Wi-Fi connection is the cause of your content pausing, not the device or your remote-control choice.
- In many situations, your television setup can be about 30 feet away from your router and still maintain an adequate connection for streaming.
- If your media setup is between 30 and 50 feet away from your router, you may start to experience pausing that you did not intend. Programming may drop or buffer at this range as well.
- When your setup is more than 50 feet away, not only will your program pause and drop more often, but it may also not be a viable connection at all.
- Setting up your system within a suitable range will ensure that you control the pausing on your content.
Pausing video with Chromecast can be done with several convenient options. You can use the television remote, a Google Home speaker, or the Chromecast app on your phone to quickly pause content when needed.
Finding the best way to pause your video on Chromecast will depend on how your system is set up. Also, the type of phone you have (iOS or Android), TV and remote, or Google Home speaker and sound setup will help you determine which works for you.
With various options to choose from when looking to pause your Chromecast content, finding an option that fits your lifestyle is easy; once you set up your Chromecast controls the way you prefer, managing your pause controls will be quick and convenient!