The best companies devise solutions to problems, and battery power is a problem because it runs out; the solution: solar power. Its green energy requires very little upkeep, and the Ring Solar Panel will keep the Ring Spotlight Cam running indefinitely.
With the Ring Solar Panel, you will no longer have to worry about the inconvenience of charging the batteries. So long as there is ample sunlight exposure throughout the day, the Solar Panel is more than enough to continuously top off the battery. Read on to learn how to install the Solar Panel for your Ring Spotlight Cam!
To mount the Ring Solar Panel, you first need to determine where you want the camera and how you want to install the Solar panel. It needs to be in an area where sun exposure will last at least ⅔ of the day. If your Ring Spotlight Cam is already set up, you may have to consider repositioning it.
You can get the Ring Solar Panel in one of two ways, either purchase it separately or purchase the entire setup with the Ring Spotlight Cam Solar. Purchasing the entire kit doesn’t mean that it comes hooked up, however.
- First, download the Ring app (Android or iOS), and set up the Ring Spotlight Camera in the app.
- Use the mounting arm bracket to mark your holes or measure them out.
- Drill the two holes—if it’s concrete or brick, insert the plastic anchors—then line up the mounting arm and drill the screws in to secure it to the foundation.
- The solar panel slides into a groove on the flat piece of the mounting arm and snaps into place.
- If the solar panel isn’t lined up correctly, you may have to loosen the adjustment screw to move the panel around.
- On the back of the Ring Spotlight Cam, there is a button that you need to press to slide the weatherproof panel out. Open the battery compartment, press the button and push to slide the weatherproof panel out of the compartment.
- The weatherproof panel snaps neatly onto the back of the Ring Spotlight Cam.
- Unplug the weatherproof rubber stopper on the weatherproof panel.
- Now you can plug the barrel connector from the Ring Solar Panel into the back of the Ring Spotlight Cam through the weatherproof panel on the back.
It’s advisable to have it set up so that it gets a good deal of sunlight exposure throughout the day. Ring states that only a couple of hours of sunlight is necessary, but it depends on how much usage the Spotlight Camera gets per day.
The standard Ring Solar Panel isn’t your only choice if you’re looking for a permanent solution to battery power. There are other third-party options to choose from:
- Wasserstein Solar Panel: For $10 less, the Wasserstein solar panel is the same size and pulls the same power as the Ring Solar Panel.
- Ring Super Solar Panel: Double the size and output of the original Ring Solar Panel. It installs and connects in the same way as the standard version.
- Skylety Solar Panel: Another affordable option, the Skylety is priced lower than the other panels while maintaining excellent reviews.
- Wasserstein Solar Panel 3-Pack: You can get a three-pack of Wasserstein solar panels for a slightly lower price than the Ring Super Solar Panel. The more, the merrier.
- OLAIKE Solar Panel: Another affordable Solar Panel option, the OLAIKE is currently offering a 10% discount with purchase.
If you didn’t purchase the Ring Spotlight Cam Solar, you have several options here. If you did, any one of these would make a good replacement. All of the above solar panels install the same way.
Installing the Ring Solar Panel is an easy, DIY task. It doesn’t have to attach directly to the Ring Spotlight Cam—so there’s room for creativity—and it attaches directly to the Spotlight Cam in the micro-USB port.
The Ring Solar Panel takes much of the upkeep out of owning a Ring Spotlight Cam or other compatible Ring Products—and there wasn’t much upkeep to begin with. It especially works out if you get a lot of use out of your Spotlight Cam, such as using the lights constantly or retaining the settings at maximum for resolution and motion zones.
If you live in a highly trafficked area, then a solar panel is a great solution for keeping the batteries charged when the Spotlight Cam is constantly activating. And, if you live in parts of the country where temperatures—hot or cold—work to degrade the battery’s life cycle, then the Ring Solar Panel is an essential solution.