How To Easily Stop Dell Laptop From Going Into Sleep Mode
One problem that many Dell laptop users run into is when their computer constantly goes into automatic sleep mode whenever they stop using it for a few minutes. Sleep Mode is designed to help reserve power in your computer when you’re not using it, but it can be frustrating if you have your computer set to go into Sleep Mode too often.
Below you’ll find a guide on how to easily stop a Dell laptop from entering Sleep Mode during use. Adjusting the sleep mode options can stop the Dell laptop from going to sleep during use and make it easier to operate without interruptions.
Stopping a Dell Laptop From Entering Sleep Mode
If a Dell laptop enters Sleep Mode too often, this can disrupt the user’s workflow and even introduce glitches to the system if the computer tries and fails to rise out of Sleep Mode status after putting itself to sleep. Sleep Mode settings can be adjusted easily through the Dell laptop’s control panel.
These settings in the Control Panel allow you to adjust how quickly the laptop enters Sleep Mode (if at all). Perform the following steps to adjust the Sleep Mode settings on your Dell laptop.
- Open your settings and enter the “Control Panel.”
- Open the Sleep Mode section in “Power and Sleep.”
- Toggle when you want your laptop to enter Sleep Mode, if at all. If you don’t want it to enter Sleep Mode, select “Never.”
That is the easiest way to stop your Dell laptop from going into sleep mode. Keep reading to learn other ways to do this. If you notice that your Dell laptop is entering sleep mode when you close it, there are some other fixes for that.
Enter the Control Panel to Find Sleep Mode Settings
The first step to stopping a Dell laptop from entering Sleep Mode is to adjust the Sleep Mode settings on the computer. These settings can be accessed through the computer’s Control Panel, giving the user access to many other options such as device settings, systems security, program options, and more.
Finding the Control Panel for the Sleep Mode options on a Dell laptop can be accomplished via two methods:
- Click on the Windows symbol in the lefthand corner of the screen, then select the gear symbol in the pop-up menu to enter the computer’s Settings.
- From the Settings menu, select the option Power & Sleep from the list of options on the lefthand side of the computer screen. This will bring up a range of options to adjust when and how your computer enters Sleep Mode.
- To stop the Dell laptop from entering Sleep Mode, change all of the Power & Sleep menu options to “Never.” This will prevent the Dell laptop from entering Sleep Mode no matter how long you leave it sitting idle.
- Select the search bar on the bottom task bar of the computer screen and type in “Control Panel.” This should bring up the option for the Control Panel app in the pop-up menu of the search bar’s results. Select the Control Panel app.
- From the Control Panel main menu, select System and Security to access the computer’s power settings.
- From the System and Security menu, select “Change when the computer sleeps” under the Power Options submenu.
Using one of these two methods, you should be able to shut down all Sleep Mode options on your Dell laptop. This will prevent it from ever going into Sleep Mode during operations.
Is it Risky to Disable Sleep Mode on a Dell Laptop?
There are several advantages associated with disabling Sleep Mode on your Dell laptop. Sleep Mode allows your progress to be saved by simply closing the lid on your laptop at any point during operations, and it uses very little working memory to run.
However, a few drawbacks are associated with using Sleep Mode versus fully shutting down a laptop when not in operation. Here are a few of the disadvantages of having Sleep Mode active on your computer:
- Still uses battery power: Even if your Dell laptop is in Sleep Mode, it will still experience slow battery drain as long as it is powered up and not hooked up to a charger. Draining down the battery in Sleep Mode can gradually weaken the battery’s power over time.
- RAM strain: Another issue with using Sleep Mode constantly instead of shutting your Dell laptop down is that it doesn’t give the computer’s working memory a chance to rest. This can eventually cause the laptop to become bogged down and overloaded with fragmented data, leading to boot-up issues and other software glitches.
Many people disable Sleep Mode on their Dell laptop because Sleep Mode can sometimes cause issues that prevent the computer from successfully booting back up out of Sleep Mode.
This necessitates a hard reboot of the computer, which can also cause damage to the computer’s software programming over time if it is performed by holding down the power button rather than using the formal shutdown sequence in Windows 10.
Sleep Mode is Easy to Disable in Windows 10
If you don’t want Windows 10 to enter Sleep Mode on your Dell laptop, there are several easy ways to prevent it. Following the guide above will allow you to disable all Sleep Mode options on your laptop without risking any damage to your computer systems.