How to Easily Return Your Spectrum Equipment
Perhaps you would like an upgrade on your cable or internet services, or you would like to switch your service providers entirely. This would entail returning your Spectrum equipment. But, what process do you have to go through before doing so, or where can you return it at?
To return Spectrum equipment, you’ll have to follow these steps:
- Contact Spectrum to let them know you’ll be returning the equipment so they don’t continue to charge you service fees.
- Bring your equipment to one of the following places: UPS (preferred method), FedEx or the Spectrum Store
You need to know how to return your Spectrum equipment, as all equipment given to you by Spectrum is still owned by the company. By not returning your equipment, Spectrum can charge you hefty fees for not returning their belongings. Read on to learn everything you need to know about returning your equipment, including when to return it and exactly what you need to return.
How Do I Return My Spectrum Equipment?
Below are the primary ways to return Spectrum equipment in most of the United States. The main exception would be Hawaii, in which the USPS is also an option. More information on Hawaii-specific return instructions can be found here.
Returning Spectrum Equipment via UPS
The primary way to return your Spectrum equipment is through a UPS Store.
- Locate a UPS Store using the UPS Store Locator Tool. Keep in mind that not all UPS locations are considered stores, so check before making a trip out!
- Bring your equipment into the store. UPS will take your equipment as-is and package and ship it free of cost.
- Tell them you’re a Spectrum customer, they’ll know what to do.
- Once it’s packaged and shipped, get the receipt from the clerk and keep it for your records. This is how you’ll track your return to show proof that you returned your equipment.
Now, let’s take a look at how to return your Spectrum equipment to another store.
Returning Spectrum Equipment via FedEx
If you don’t have a UPS Store particularly close to you, FedEx is a good backup option. However, it’s important to note that it’s not as simple as it is with UPS.
To return your equipment with FedEx, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Provide a Spectrum return label with your equipment.
- Package the equipment yourself in a cardboard box and seal it properly.
- Bring your box to a FedEx Office, not a FedEx Drop Box.
After these steps, your equipment should be sent on its way back to Spectrum.
What Spectrum Equipment Is Eligible for Return Using FedEx?
The only downside to returning your Spectrum equipment using Fedex is that you may not be able to return certain pieces.
Eligible equipment includes:
- DOCSIS 2.0 and 3.0 WiFi gateway devices
- DOCSIS 3.0 modems
- Wifi routers
- Spectrum Voice modems
If your equipment is not on this list, you must bring it to either a UPS or a Spectrum Store.
Returning Spectrum Equipment via the Spectrum Store
If neither UPS or FedEx is available in your area, you may be able to bring your equipment directly to a Spectrum Store.
- Find a location using the Spectrum Store Locator.
- Simply type in your location and bring your equipment in.
It’s as easy as that! On the flip side, you may also be able to pick up new equipment here if you are changing your services.
When Do I Need to Return My Spectrum Equipment?
It’s important to note that you shouldn’t just arbitrarily return your equipment or return it without speaking to Spectrum first. If you send their equipment back without them knowing, they will continue to charge you for normal services. You may also run into issues with tracking the return process.
You should only return your Spectrum equipment if you:
- Are switching providers
- Have moved to an area that does not offer Spectrum
- Have downgraded your Spectrum plan
Under each of these circumstances, you’d no longer have any need for the equipment Spectrum initially provided you. When in doubt, contact Spectrum and speak to them first about issues with your service. They can help you figure out if returning your equipment is the best option given your circumstances.
What Spectrum Equipment Do I Have To Return?
Believe it or not, not all of your equipment always has to be returned. However, it’s always best to return everything you have if you’re in doubt!
Equipment that needs to be returned if you’re canceling your Spectrum services includes:
- Auxiliary Equipment
Equipment that doesn’t always need to be returned includes remotes and cables. These are typically considered yours upon receipt. If you’re simply downgrading your plan with Spectrum, you may not have to return all of your equipment. Call a customer service agent to see exactly what you need to return.
Spectrum makes returning your equipment easy. Simply bring it to a UPS store and they’ll have it packaged and shipped in no time. Always remember to keep your receipt though, as this is how you’ll check the tracking on your return!
If you have any other questions on returning equipment, let us know in the comments. You can also check out our other return articles on the website.