How to Easily Control Your Nest Thermostat with Alexa
Does Nest work with Alexa? These days when it seems Amazon Alexa can be used for just about anything, you may be asking, “Can I use my Alexa to change the temperature on my Nest thermostat?” The great news is that you can, and it is very easy to set up.
To easily control your Nest thermostat with your Alexa device, all you need to do is spend 5-10 minutes connecting the devices using the Google Nest app and the Amazon Alexa app. After this is complete, you will have access to several commands you can use to control your thermostat.
Two of the biggest players in home automation are Amazon and Google. You may be asking yourself, “Do I need to purchase all of my home automation from one company?” The great news is both companies have made it very easy to integrate their devices. Keep reading for step-by-step instructions on how to connect these devices, and also to learn examples of various commands you can use to control your thermostat using the Alexa voice assistant.
Do Alexa and Nest Work Together?
All generations of Nest Thermostats can be enabled to work with the Alexa voice assistant. The following list shows Amazon devices that can be used to command your Nest.
As you can see, there are many Amazon devices you can use to command your Nest thermostat, and the odds that you have one of the ones on the list is rather high. A special feature of the Echo Show is that when you use it to change the temperature of the Nest, the updated temperature information will appear on the screen.
How Do I Control My Nest Thermostat with My Voice?
The Nest Thermostat already learns and knows what temperature you prefer your home to be at, but if you want even more control, you can use your voice through Amazon’s Alexa. Using only your voice, you can raise and lower the temperature, figure out what the thermostat is currently set to, along with other commands.
Here are the instructions on how to connect Amazon Alexa and Google Nest:
- Download the Amazon Alexa app
- Open the Amazon Alexa app and select Devices.
- Press the plus sign in the top right corner.
- Select Add Device
- Search Nest and then select Google Nest Thermostat
- Download the Google Nest app
- Enable the Google Nest Skill
- Log in to your Google account, and allow Alexa access to your Google Nest information
- After clicking Next, Select Discover Devices
- Select your Nest Thermostat
At this point, follow through with the remaining setup, and you will be ready to control your Nest device using an Amazon Alexa device. If at any point you need to add another Nest thermostat to be commanded by Alexa, you will need to repeat this process.
What are the Nest Commands on Alexa?
Now that you have allowed Alexa and Nest to communicate with each other, you can begin issuing voice commands.
Below you will find a list of commands you can activate using an Alexa device to control your Nest thermostat:
- Alexa, what’s the temperature in [thermostat name]?
- Alexa, what’s the temperature in the house?
- Alexa, what temperature is my [thermostat name] set to?
- Alexa, set the [thermostat name] temperature to [temperature] degrees.
- Alexa, change the [thermostat name] to [temperature] degrees.
- Alexa, turn my [thermostat name] temperature to [temperature] degrees.
- Alexa, decrease the [thermostat name] temperature.
- Alexa, increase the [thermostat name] by [temperature] degrees.
- Alexa, make my [thermostat name] warmer by [temperature] degrees.
In this list, you will find a reference to the thermostat’s name. The name of your thermostat is the location of the thermostat in your Google Home app. For example, if the location of your thermostat is Home then you will use that name with the Alexa commands.
As a reminder, if you ask Alexa to change the temperature without saying how much, it will increase/decrease by 2 degrees Fahrenheit or 1 degree Celsius (whichever units your Nest is configured to use). Also, Alexa won’t be able to control your Nest thermostat if it’s set to an Eco Temperature, is in Off mode, is using Emergency Heat, or if there’s an Emergency Shutoff.
It is very easy to connect your Nest thermostat and Amazon Alexa. Just remember that every time you add another thermostat, you will need to repeat the process of connecting it to Alexa. Enabling the Nest skill in Alexa opens close to a dozen commands that can be used to control the temperature in various ways. Gone are the days of needing to walk to your thermostat when you need to change the temperature.