By Trae Jacobs,
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The Ring Alarm security system is a great way to keep your house secure when you are out of town or just at work. The Ring Alarm can be set to Home or Away modes and activate an alarm when someone enters the house who isn’t supposed to be there. If you are using Ring Alarm, you might wonder how to connect it to Apple HomeKit to easily control it and integrate it with other apps.
Connecting Ring Alarm with your Apple HomeKit is easily done as long as you have all the right materials. In this article, we will go over exactly how to connect Ring devices, such as the Ring Alarm, with your HomeKit. We will also go over some troubleshooting tips.
How to Use HOOBS to Connect Ring Alarm with HomeKit
Ring devices aren’t directly compatible with Apple products. To connect the Ring Alarm to the Apple HomeKit, you will need a HomeBridge. The bridge device can connect to your Wi-Fi network and integrate different accessories that aren’t previously compatible with each other.
Many online users and smart home enthusiasts use HOOBS because of some amazing features:
- Hands-on support provided if needed
- No tech skills or previous experience is needed to use it
- Can integrate over 2000 products with your Apple HomeKit, including all Ring devices
- Only takes 3 minutes to setup
Once you have the HOOBS HomeBridge, your HomeKit, and your Ring Alarm, you can follow the steps below to get them connected.
Connect HOOBS to Your WIFI
You have two options for connecting HOOBS to your home network:
- Plug the HOOBS directly into your router with an Ethernet cable.
- Use the HOOBS app on your smart device to connect to your WIFI under Settings, then Network Settings.
Open the HOOBS Webpage Using a Computer
Using a laptop or desktop, open the HOOBS homepage. Then make an account; you will need:
- Your name
- Your email address
- A unique username
- Strong password
Then follow the on-screen prompts to complete the setup.
Install the Ring Plugin
The Ring plugin is certified by HOOBs, so it is easier to set up than other third-party plugins. It’s also guaranteed to work.
From your HOOBS account page:
- Click Dashboard.
- Click Plugins on the far left.
- Search Ring.
- Click Install.
Configure the Ring Plugin
Once installed, your HOOBS system will automatically turn off and then turn back on after a few minutes. Don’t exit out of the webpage or click anything during this time. A webpage will then reload and ask you to use the Refresh Token to complete the setup process.
Generate the Refresh Token
Click the three dots on the top right of the screen. When it asks if you want to run a command, type the following npx -p ring-client-api ring-auth-cli.HOOBs will automatically run the program and perform the setup process for you with this command code.
When asked, enter your email and password. You will then be asked to enter your 2FA code. This should be in the email that HOOBS sent you when you set up your account.
Paste the Refresh Token
On the Ring plugin configuration page, there will be a blank space to enter in the Refresh Token. Simply copy and paste it and then click enter. Your Apple HomeKit should now work with your Ring Alarm!
How Can I Use Apple HomeKit with Ring Alarm?
Once you have completed the steps above successfully, you use the HomeKit to better control your Ring Alarm and make your home more secure. You have access to the following features:
- Arm or disarm the alarm from the Home app.
- Set up personalized automation with HomeKit.
- Set up the alarm to turn on lights when triggered.
- Set up the alarm to sound like a siren when triggered.
- Customize the siren sound.
- Receive HomeKit notifications when the alarm is triggered or senses motion.
Using HOOBS, you can also integrate the Apple HomeKit with the following Ring products:
- Ring Smart Home Lighting
- Ring Doorbell
- Ring Security Cameras
Troubleshooting Ring Alarm and Apple HomeKit Connection
If you are having trouble with the setup process or the devices won’t connect to one another, there are some items you can check:
- Make sure your Ring, HomeKit, and HOOBS are connected to the same Wi-Fi network
- Make sure your router is on and working properly
- Move the router closer to the Ring devices
- Make sure the Refresh Token was pasted without any extra spaces or letters
Even though the Ring Alarm can’t be directly connected to Ring Alarm, there are some awesome HomeBridge options, such as HOOBS, that can let you connect the two devices together.
Using a few simple steps, you can integrate them together and have even more efficient smart home automation. You can also set sensors and settings through HOOBS for the alarm system.