How to Add Nest Cam to HomeKit
Nest Cam is a great way to monitor activities around your home and see who and what might be around your property. HomeKit by Apple allows you to sync all your smart home devices together and use them more efficiently. If you own both devices, you might be wondering how to sync them together and how to add Nest Cam to the HomeKit.
To connect HomeKit and Nest Cam, a Homebridge hub or device is needed. They then need to be integrated together by connecting both to WIFI, scanning the QR code, and then connecting the devices together in the Home Bridge App.
You might be wondering exactly how to connect the devices together. Don’t worry. We will go over the exact steps in this article. We will also discuss the best Home Bridge options available for purchase.
How Do I Connect my Nest to HomeKit?
Connecting your Nest to HomeKit involves using a Home Bridge. If you have never used one before, the setup process might seem complicated at first. However, once you get started, you will see the process is pretty easy and makes all your devices work together efficiently.
Home Bridge allows you to add non-HomeKit-enabled products to Apple’s HomeKit system even though they are not directly compatible.
The connection to a Home Bridge will depend on which particular one you buy and choose to sync with. However, the general steps for setting up the Nest Cam with a HomeBridge follow these steps:
- Connect your bridge to your router using an ethernet cable.
- Connect the bridge to a power outlet.
- Go to the setup page for your bridge on your smartphone or device. You can usually find it on the back of the device or in the instruction manual.
- Sign in to your Nest or Google account that you use for your Nest Cam.
- Scan the QR code on your bridge on your smart device.
You might get a notification that says, “this accessory is not HomeKit certified.” Always click “Add Anyway.”
Let’s see all the features you have access to once you have the systems integrated.
Will Nest Products Work with HomeKit?
As stated above, Nest products will not work with HomeKit without a HomeBridge. After you have them set up with one another though, you will be able to:
- View live videos from all your cameras
- Switch your camera feed saying “Hey Siri” and then whatever command you want
- Set up automation systems so the cameras turn off and on at particular times or when you leave or arrive at home.
- Communicate with people at the front door through your Apple device like your iPhone or iPad.
- Add automation so you can receive motion alerts when there is a person, sound, the doorbell rings, or you get a package delivered.
- Create systems to follow the movements of people outside the door.
Now that you know all the features you have once they’re connected, make sure you know how to add the camera to the HomeKit.
How Do I Add a Camera to HomeKit?
Adding a camera to the HomeKit is easy once you have them both connected to the Home Bridge.
After connecting them to the internet:
- Scan the QR code from your Apple device.
- This will prompt you through instructions on how to add the bridge to your Home Kit.
- You can then add the camera to the Home Kit like you would any other device.
Learn a little bit more about how HomeKit and Google Home can work together.
Can HomeKit and Google Home Work Together?
They can work together, but not without a Home Bridge. Nest Cam is owned by Google and Home Kit is owned by Apple. These companies are constantly competing, so they often make it hard to integrate their products easily.
The good news is you can use a Home Bridge. Many Home Bridges are cost-effective and easy to set up.
Some of the top-rated Amazon Home Bridges are:
- Lutron Caseta Wireless Smart Bridge
- Philips Hue Smart Hub
- August Connect WIFI Bridge
- LiftMaster MYQ Home Bridge
All these bridges are compatible with Apple and Google products. Always make sure you get a Home Bridge with good reviews. A good Home Bridge needs to:
- Needs to work with all Nest products including the Nest Cam
- Needs to have a private and secure connection
- Needs to work with your internet router
- Needs to work with all Apple devices launched within the last 5 years
- Has the ability to be able to be shipped to your location
- Works with Google and Nest accounts
You should check all specifications before buying one to ensure it will work for you.
If you want to use your Nest Cam with your Apple Home Kit, you will need to buy a home bridge. Connecting them is easy and then you should have access to all the features you need to use the two devices fully integrated.