How Much Data Does Wyze Cam Use?
In the world of security cams, Wyze is one of the best options out there. Still, using the Cam can consume data. It’s important to know how much so you can plan ahead and keep yours running smoothly when you need it. So, how much data does a Wyze cam use?
The amount of data your Wyze cam will use varies based on how long you use it and other features like high definition. If you’re shooting in high definition then you can expect it to use about four to seven MB per minute. Standard definition, on the other hand, uses one to two MB per minute.
If you’re curious exactly how much data your Wyze cam is likely to need, you’ve come to the right place. In our guide below, we will discuss just how much data you can expect your Wyze cam to use over a period of time. Additionally, we will answer many of the related questions people have like whether or not you can use the cam without wifi. So let’s dive right in!
Does Wyze Use a lot of Data?
This sort of depends on what you define as a lot of data and how you plan to use the cam. Suffice to say that it will use more data if you use it in high definition and take advantage of features like motion detection than it would if you just took some video in standard definition.
Still, at the end of the day, the four to seven MB per minute you get in high definition is not bad when contrasted with comparable cams.
What Factors Determine How Much Data Wyze Uses?
Below we’ve listed the major factors that will determine how much data your Wyze cam will use individually:
- The resolution: You can choose to film in either high definition or standard definition. Depending on where you have the camera (is it in a well-lit place) you may not need to go all the way to high definition if you don’t want to. This can save you a lot of space in the long run.
- The amount of information in the video: Things like noise (think graininess when filming in the dark) cause there to be more information stored in the video.
- The frame rate: The framerate simply refers to how quickly the still images that make up the motion video flash from one to the other. With a higher frame rate, there are more frames and thus more data to be taken.
- Features used: Features like motion detection can cause compression and ultimately add to the amount of data your Wyze is using.
Remember, you don’t always have to film at the top quality your Wyze cam can use. If your cam is placed in a well-lit area and you’re not looking for minute detail, then you could easily get away with using the standard definition. Really it all just depends on what you’re trying to accomplish.
Does Wyze Work Without Wifi?
The answer is complicated. It’s a sort of yes and no situation. You see, Wyze cams can in fact work without wifi–with fewer features–after you have finished the initial setup. To complete the setup, however, it is required that you have the cam connected to your wifi.
Which Features of a Wyze Camera Aren’t Available Offline?
There are a number of features that will not be available to you if you use your Wyze cam offline. Below we’ve outlined each of these features along with an explanation as to why they aren’t available offline:
How to View Footage Captured Offline
When it comes to viewing the footage you’ve taken while offline, you have two options for how to view it. Below we’ve broken down the two ways you can view footage captured offline to make it easy for you:
- Reconnect to the internet: The most common way to view footage captured while offline is to reconnect to your wifi and use the playback feature in the Wyze app. While
- Take out the SD card: You can simply remove the SD card, plug it into your computer and pull up the raw files. This is, perhaps, the most straightforward way. It’s also useful if your internet is down and you just need to view the files right away.
Please note that if you don’t check the footage within a few days, the cam will eventually overwrite the old footage with new footage. So if you plan on using the cam offline, make sure that you check it regularly.
So Really, How Much Data Do Wyze Cam’s Use?
The amount of data your Wyze cam will use varies based on what definition you’re filming at, the atmosphere in which you’re taking video, and the features you choose to use.
At the end of the day, you can expect to use anywhere between one and seven MB per minute while the cam is recording. That’s not bad at all for a security cam. If you need it to be on the lower end, however, consider using standard definition or forgoing some features such as the motion detection. Whatever you choose to do, you can easily find a way to make it work for you.