When it comes to outdoor home security monitoring, a common concern is losing power to your devices. Given the increasing availability of options for security cameras, I wanted to find out how long the Wyze Outdoor Camera battery lasts and how long it takes to charge.
The rechargeable Wyze Outdoor Camera batteries are expected to last between 3 to 6 months (depending on usage) and can be fully recharged in about 4 hours. Additionally, your camera will let you know when the battery is low, so you can continue monitoring without interruption.
Wyze security cameras offer competitive features designed to keep homeowners safe and secure. With a rechargeable battery, there are various options to customize your setup to best suit your monitoring needs. This article will take an in-depth look into the Wyze Outdoor Camera’s battery life and charging time and some tips for charging your device.
Wyze Outdoor Camera: A Quick Look
Wyze’s Outdoor Security Camera is a reliable solution for those looking to monitor their homes without breaking the bank. The Wyze Outdoor Camera can also connect up to four cameras, all viewable from the associated Wyze app, so you can configure your security system to best suit your home’s layout and monitoring needs. Here’s a look at some additional features offered by the camera:
- IP65 Rated Weather Resistance: The Wyze Outdoor Camera is weather-resistant and can be used even in harsh weather (extreme heat, rain, snow, etc.).
- 1080p HD Video Recording with Night Vision: In addition to high-quality video recording, the Wyze Outdoor Camera can live stream footage with 25 feet illuminated night vision, allowing you to see extra details, even in the dark.
- PIR Motion Detection and Two-Way Audio: Passive Infrared Motion Detection allows the camera to detect changes in an object’s heat signature, significantly reducing false alarms. Not only that, but you can also access two-way audio with the camera’s feed, allowing you to respond to visitors in real-time.
- Rechargeable Batteries: One of the more attractive and unique features of the Wyze Outdoor Cameras is their 2,600 mAh rechargeable batteries. A wire-free device allows users to set up the camera in a wide range of locations without the hassle of relying on a nearby power outlet.
Now that we have a better idea of some of the Wyze Outdoor camera’s features and specifications, let’s shift to this article’s focus: battery life and charging time.
Wyze Outdoor Camera Battery Life and Charging Time
The Wyze Outdoor camera has 7.4V, 2,600 mAh rechargeable batteries, estimated to last between three to six months (depending on usage). They are charged via a standard 5V 2A Micro USB cable (included) and can be fully charged from 0 to 100% in about four hours. According to Wyze, the camera can record continuously for about 10 hours (should the need arise).
Note: Wyze defines “normal usage” as 10 to 20 recording events per day. Additionally, battery life will vary based on environmental factors like temperature and motion settings.
Tips for Charging your Wyze Camera
Wyze makes charging their outdoor camera intuitive and user friendly. While plugged in via the Micro USB power cable, the camera will display a “Charging” status (and charge percentage) on the Wyze app’s live stream interface. Additionally, the camera’s LED indicator will illuminate, so you know when the device is charging.
- Flashing Red: A flashing red light indicates that the camera is still charging.
- Solid Red Light: Once the camera is fully charged, its LED indicator will change to a solid red light, so you know it’s ready to go.
The camera can also be used normally while charging and will receive a charge, whether it’s powered on or not. Wyze recommends only charging the device indoors, as the USB port itself is not waterproof.
Low Battery Notification
Another useful feature with the Wyze app is that it will send the user a “Low Battery” notification when the camera’s battery drops below 20%, so you know when it’s time to recharge. At this point, you will still be able to use the camera to its full functionality, even with a low battery.
Additionally, the device’s remaining battery life is displayed on the Wyze app home screen and updates in real-time, so you know exactly how much battery remains. However, when the battery gets closer to 10%, you will receive a “Low Battery: Unable to Live Stream” notification on the app.
If you’re unable to charge the camera before it entirely runs out of batteries, any progress in the local recording will still be saved directly to the microSD card. This will also occur when manually recording to prevent the data from being corrupted or lost if the battery dies.
With rechargeable batteries, the Wyze Outdoor Camera can reliably monitor your home without the need to replace depleted batteries. Given the fact that they’re expected to last between three and six months on a single charge, the outdoor camera is an excellent solution for homeowners looking to access a range of features without the hassle of repeatedly charging your device.