With smart home devices, we expect them to always be on and running to either provide us security or entertainment. However, devices like your Ring Doorbell has to have time to update to bring you fixed and newer features.
How long does it take for the Ring Doorbell to update? It takes a total of 5 minutes for the firmware update to happen. This update keeps the software your Ring Doorbell uses up to speed.
Know that you know that the firmware update only lasts 5 minutes, it is important to note what is updating during this time for your Ring Doorbell.
Why Do I Need To Update My Ring Doorbell?
Updating the firmware for your Ring Doorbell keeps it fresh and depending on the firmware update that Ring sends out, it can improve the doorbell’s security. The firmware makes sure that you are able to continue to count on your Ring Doorbell to react when someone triggers it.
Each firmware update is different. The Ring developers send out updates if they feel as though their products have bugs that need to be fixed. For example, if a number of customers say the Motion trigger is lagging, then they will fix it and then send out the update for everyone to set up for their doorbell.
How Do I Know If My Ring Doorbell Needs An Update?
Typically, when you first purchase your Ring Doorbell, it will need to be updated to have the latest features and security options.
The Ring App will send push notifications to your phone or tablet to let you know that your device is ready to be updated. When this happens it will continue to notify you that your Ring Doorbell needs to be updated until you do.
You can check to see if your Ring Doorbell needs an update by doing the following steps:
- You will need to open the Ring App on your smartphone or tablet. Next, choose your Ring Doorbell.
- Tap on the Device Health button at the bottom of the app.
- When you are on the Device Page, go to Device Details and look for Firmware.
- Should there be a number that shows up, your firmware needs to be updated. Your Ring Doorbell will update itself when someone triggers it by Motion, Ring, or Live View.
- If the app says, “Up to Date,” then you are in the clear.
Knowing When Your Ring Doorbell Is Updating
Your Ring Doorbell will automatically update on its own, even after you have just taken it out of the box to charge it. When your Ring Doorbell is updating, you will get notifications on the progress of the update and when it is finished.
For your Ring Doorbell to update, there must be a reliable signal from your wi-fi router to your Ring Doorbell. The length of your update depends mostly on the wi-fi signal strength, so it could take longer than 5 minutes if your signal is weak.
As the doorbell updates, there is an icon in the app that shows up with the word “Updating” For the following Ring Doorbells, the font button on the doorbell is going to turn white and start to flash until the update is complete:
- Ring Doorbell
- Ring Doorbell 2
- Ring Door View Cam
- Ring Doorbell Pro
When your Ring Doorbell is updating remember not to remove it from the power outlet or press the setup or front button. If your Ring Doorbell is not hardwired and it is battery-operated, you will not be able to use it during this time. So, the doorbell will usually update during off-peak hours.
Because your Ring Doorbell uses more power when it is updating, it will not update if there is less than 30% battery. If you try to update it with little battery there will be an error message that says, “Firmware Update Failed.” With this message, it will tell you to either charge your doorbell or replace the batteries.
If your Ring Doorbell does not update itself, you may want to delete and then reinstall the Ring App to make sure everything is running steadily. If this does not work, there is another option.
You can reboot your device to see if that will help. Here is how you reset your doorbell:
- Turn your Ring Doorbell over to the back to locate the orange button.
- Press and hold the orange button for more than 15 seconds.
- After you let go of the orange button, the light of the front button of the doorbell will start to flash. This lets you know the doorbell is resetting.
- It will take about 5 minutes for your Ring Doorbell to complete its factory reset. Do not touch anything at this time.