How Long Do Batteries Last in the Logitech Harmony 650 Remote?
Do you currently own a Harmony 650 and wonder when the batteries are going to die? No one wants to get up off the couch and change batteries too often. Digging around the house looking for batteries is never fun.
How Long do Batteries Last in the Logitech Harmony 650 Remote? The AA batteries in the Logitech Harmony 650 remote last only between 7 to 10 days. Battery life is relatively low compared to other remotes and can vary depending on a few factors such as how many devices it is connected to.
To be blunt here, the battery life in the Logitech Harmony 650 is just absolutely awful. As you can see, the batteries do not last long at all. Having to change out your batteries after only 7 to 10 days is way too fast. Batteries are not cheap and it will end up costing you a lot of money.
I hope I didn’t freak you out too much. There are other factors that can change how long your battery life is as well as alternatives to the 650 model. We have suggestions to work around the short battery life of the 650 if you already purchased one too.
Logitech Harmony 650 Battery Life
As we covered earlier, the battery life in the Logitech Harmony 650 is pretty much hanging on a thread.
Logitech states there are a few other factors that can go into what else can drain the batteries:
- How many devices are being controlled – Your Harmony 650 supports up to 8 devices for it to be connected to and control. If you have it connected to multiple devices like a Blu-ray player, that old VCR player, and other devices, it can take a toll of your battery life.
- How long your backlight stays on – The Harmony 650 is able to sense when it is picked up and will light up displays and buttons so you can see them in the dark. While this is a pretty handy feature, it can be another factor which drains your battery.
- You can change the length of time your backlight stays on by going into the Remote Settings. Next, click on Display Settings and then Glow Settings. Here you can change the number of seconds before your backlight turns off automatically.
- How frequently the remote is used – If you use the remote constantly all day for multiple things, it can affect the life of the Harmony 650. You use it to play music, watch TV, watch movies, all controlling different devices. Your Harmony 650 becomes the workhorse and the battery life suffers because of it.
As you can see there are steps you can take to preserve the life of your battery. We have noticed that while all this seems helpful, ultimately, the battery life is still pretty short. If you don’t use the remote too often and only have it connected to 1 or 2 devices, it could last the full 10 days. But that is still not guaranteed.
Why the Battery Life is So Bad
So, one has to begin to ask the question, why is the battery life so bad? We suspect it is because of a few reasons.
- The battery life is poor because it is the older budget model: There are a lot of other remotes out there besides the 650, like the 700, 800, 950, Elite, Ultimate, One, and more. The problem is the 650 is one the lowest and cheapest option. This means with each iteration and improvement, it gets better and usually, more expensive. In result, the 650 is the cheaper more popular option, with less premium features.
- The battery life is poor because the color screen usage: Logitech states that a non-color remote battery life can last anywhere from 2 months to 3 months. That is a lot longer than 7 to 10 days.
I have read Amazon review after Amazon review, and there are numerous customers complaining about the awful battery life. They mention that they own other Harmony remotes like the Harmony 800, Harmony One, Harmony Ultimate, and the Harmony 650 has the worst battery life out of them all.
While we love the price point of the 650 model because it’s cheaper than its other models, there are definitely some drawbacks.
What’s the Best Thing to Do if Your Already Own a Harmony 650?
We recommend getting a rechargeable battery charger like this one from Energizer. This one charges AA and AAA batteries and comes with 4 new AA rechargeable batteries. This way you always have a fresh pair ready to go. It’s relatively inexpensive and you can charge AAA batteries or use them for other devices around the home.
It still doesn’t dismiss the fact that you have to annoyingly change the battery every so often. By our calculations *Pushes glasses closer to face*, you will change your batteries at least 36.5 times a year. Ouch.
Alternative Logitech Harmony Models with Battery Solutions
Alright so now that we have covered why the battery life is so poor in the Harmony 650, lets go over some alternative options you have. Here are the two options:
- Sell your current remote and buy a new color screen remote
- Sell your current remote and buy a non-color screen remote
We’ll be recommend other Logitech remotes. All 3 recommendations do very similar things. Control multiple devices, color light up, and have a handy charging station!
#1 The Logitech Harmony Elite is awesome because it is compatible with Alexa and can control up to 15 home entertainment devices.
- Hub included (Smart friendly, Ex: Smart lights can be triggered on)
- Technology: IR and Bluetooth
The Harmony Elite battery life generally lasts between 2 to 3 days but it comes with a charging cradle! This takes care of your pesky battery issue because it has a charging base you can place on an end table near the couch.
The only downside is the price tag on the Harmony Elite. But if you have the budget for it, this is our favorite Harmony remote out of all their models. The Hub really takes it to the next level.
#2 The Logitech Harmony 950 is less smart but still a great remote. It does not come with a hub like the Elite. It still comes with a charging station and can control up to 15 entertainment devices too.
- Hub not included
- Technology: Infrared
#3 Logitech Harmony Touch is the most affordable option of the 3. It also comes with a charging base and controls multiple entertainment devices too.
- No Hub (Not Alexa or Smart friendly with other devices)
- More Affordable
If you still have questions about the Harmony remote battery life, check out their website directly below:
It covers all Harmony remotes and different models. You can find out in detail the battery life of each remote and other info. For example, non-color screen Harmony models can last between 2 to 3 months!
Still have questions about the 650 remote specifically? Check out the manual PDF online:
Here you’ll find information like how to use your Harmony 650, setting it up, hanging your setup, and more.
What is the best Logitech Harmony remote? Our personal favorite is the Harmony Elite because it comes with a Hub which makes it smart friendly with other smart devices. It is Alexa compatible too.
What is the Harmony 700 Battery Life? The Harmony 700 Battery usually lasts up to a week. Some users may find it lasts longer depending on how frequently they use it.