Resetting your Zmodo doorbell gives your device something of a virtual “clean slate.” Upon resetting the device, you can toggle with its internet connectivity settings, refresh your device’s processor, and reconfigure certain settings.
How you reset your Zmodo doorbell depends on the model and version you have. Some models have a small pinhole at the bottom where you can insert a paperclip and reset the device. Other models have a touchpad that you can press and hold. Regardless of the device you have, once the light blinks green, it has rebooted.
There are many reasons why you may want to reset your Zmodo doorbell––all of which can keep your device working at optimal capacity. Continue reading to learn more about this smart home device and the resetting process.
How to Reset Your Zmodo Doorbell
If you have purchased the standard Zmodo doorbell, the following steps will reset the device:
- Detach the device from the wall.
- Lay it on its back with the camera facing upward.
- Locate the pinhole at the bottom of the device.
- Take a paper clip and insert it into the hole.
- When the light blinks green, it has reset itself.
If you wish to reset the Zmodo Pivot, you will need to:
- Locate the touchpad (which is located on the top of the device).
- Hold down on the touchpad for 10 seconds.
- Wait until the light blinks green.
You can learn more about troubleshooting your Zmodo Pivot by clicking here.
Resetting the Zmodo Doorbell is Not Always Required
You should not need to reset your device regularly. Once it has secured an internet connection, it will stay connected unless:
- Your internet goes out.
- You get a new router.
- The Zmodo doorbell’s battery dies.
You can handle most issues from within the app. For example, if you get a new router, you do not necessarily need to reset the device. Instead, you can remove the device from your previous connection and hook it up to the new one.
Why Would I Reset My Zmodo Doorbell?
The “turning it on and off again” technique works more often than most people would like to admit. There are many reasons why you may want to reset your Zmodo doorbell, including:
Resetting your device could help you maintain a steady internet connection. Whether you are changing to a new service provider or have delayed notifications, resetting your device could help it work more efficiently.
If resetting your device does not yield the results you want, consider how far away your device is from the router. If it is too far away, then you can get a Wi-Fi extender. This increases the range of your Wi-Fi connection and enables devices that are out of reach to connect to it.
For example, the NETGEAR Range Extender EX3700 extends your router signal up to 1000 square feet; its signal is not obstructed by walls, doors, and furniture.
Problems with Initial Set-up
When setting up your Zmodo doorbell for the first time, you will need to enter your Wi-Fi credentials. This includes selecting the name of your router and entering its case-sensitive password.
Certain lights on the doorbell indicate different things. If you see any one of the following colors displayed, resetting the device could remedy the problem:
- The doorbell’s light is red. This means that your device is unable to connect to the internet. This can happen for one of two reasons. It could be because you entered your Wi-Fi credentials wrong. It could also be because your router’s signal is not strong enough.
- The doorbell’s light is blinking green. This means that your device is ready for set-up. You can follow the instructions in the app to connect your doorbell to the internet.
- The door’s light is blinking blue. Don’t touch anything! This means that your doorbell is in the process of connecting to your router. If successful, the light will turn blue.
If you experience any issues with installing your Zmodo doorbell, you can call their toll-free number, send them an email, or talk to a representative on their live chat.
Will Resetting the Zmodo Doorbell Erase Stored Footage?
Without opting for the monthly subscription, the Zmodo doorbell stores 10-second recordings for 12 hours after being captured. You can access this footage from the app. If you want to delete a recording, resetting the device will not erase this footage.
To delete footage from the Zmodo doorbell, you will need to:
- Open the MeShare app.
- Go to the “Events” page.
- Tap on the alert.
- Press the trashcan icon.
If you have subscribed to the 7-day or 30-day subscription plan, you cannot manually delete footage. Instead, you will have to wait until the designated period has passed.
The Zmodo doorbell is meant to add an extra layer of security to your home. It works in tandem with your smartphone and other digital assistants. You may need to reset the device in certain situations, but for the most part, you can manage its settings from the app.
You can learn more about your Zmodo doorbell by reading its user manual here.