How Do I Reset the Nest Thermostat?
By Trae Jacobs,
When you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The Nest Thermostat provides heating and cooling for your home in a brand-new way, but sometimes non-traditional technology may be difficult to navigate. When troubleshooting, there may come a time where you will need to reset your Nest Thermostat, but not be too sure how.
To reset your Nest Thermostat, you must first remove the device from your Nest account on your phone/tablet. Then, you will have to reset your device through the settings on the Nest Thermostat.
There are many options and ways to reset your Nest Thermostat. Continue reading for more information on when to reset your Nest Thermostat and step-by-step instructions on how to do it.
Reset Options for the Nest Thermostat
Before reading the instructions on how to reset the Nest Thermostat below, it is important to note that you will erase every preference you have set and start new if you reset “all settings.”
If you do not want to delete all of your preferences, there are individual options for a reset. These options include:
- Restart: Turns system off and back on; the best option if dealing with a software issue like freezing.
- Reset schedule: Adjust the schedule your Nest Thermostat is on.
- Reset away settings: Adjust the away options your Nest Thermostat is set to.
- Reset network settings: If you get a new Wi-Fi router or something changes with the internet, this is the option to choose.
Again, by selecting “all settings” in the reset section, you erase all of the information programmed on your thermostat. This is a good option if you are looking to have a fresh slate with your thermostat or are in the process of moving and leaving it behind. Otherwise, consider the other reset options based on your specific need for adjustment.
How to Reset Your Nest Thermostat
Resetting your Nest Thermostat is fairly simple, but it is important to follow all of the instructions in the process. Completely resetting your Nest Thermostat requires two separate steps: first, removing the Nest Thermostat from your Nest account, and second, resetting the Nest Thermostat through the settings on the actual device.
Removing Your Nest Thermostat from Nest Account
The first step in the process of resetting your thermostat is to remove it from the Nest account on your phone. Don’t worry; you will be able to add your Nest Thermostat back to the account, but not until after you have completed the reset process on your device.
Here are step-by-step instructions on how to remove your Nest Thermostat from the account on your phone/tablet:
- Open the Nest App.
- Select the home with the device you want to remove (this step is only required if you have multiple homes on your account).
- Select the Nest Thermostat you want to remove.
- Press the “Settings” icon, located at the top right corner of your screen.
- Press the “Remove” option in settings.
- Confirm that you want to remove this device.
Resetting Your Nest Thermostat in Settings on the Device
After successfully removing your Nest Thermostat from your account, you can now reset it.
Here are step-by-step instructions on how to reset your Nest Thermostat:
- Click on your Nest Thermostat.
- Rotate the ring on the thermostat to get to “Settings” and then click on it.
- Rotate the ring again to the right until you see “Reset” and click on it.
- Rotate the ring until it scrolls down to “All settings” and click on it. (As mentioned, if you do not wish to reset all settings, you can choose from any of the individual settings you are trying to reset in this menu).
- Confirm your reset by turning the dial to the right and then selecting “OK.”
After confirming you would like to reset your Thermostat, you will have a 10-second window to cancel in case you believe you made a mistake or have changed your mind.
Here is a great YouTube video that offers step-by-step visuals on how to reset your Nest Thermostat if you are still looking for more guidance on how to do so.
The Nest Thermostat is a great smart home device for heating and cooling your home. It is programable and remembers all of your preferences, all while saving energy by running on Wi-Fi.
When it comes to these programmed preferences, there may be a time when they need to be changed. Luckily, the Nest Thermostat offers an easy solution to that by offering the option to reset multiple aspects of the thermostat.
Just make sure you know which specific preference you are attempting to reset or if you are looking to reset them all completely. After that, you will be all set to follow the simple directions on quickly resetting your Nest Thermostat.